Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone here play in a church band?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Hendrixlvr, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Over the years I have played in church "bands" (worship teams, orchestras, etc.) of various flavors, always at a church that I would have attended anyway. Currently I am playing violin and we do about half traditional hymns and half more contemporary praise music. At other churches I have played acoustic guitar and electric bass, never electric guitar. I have enjoyed the other musicians, and I must say I have never experienced the "band drama" that I have in the regular bar type bands I have been in. No over the top lead guitarists, prima donna vocalists, stoned drummers, arguments about which songs to play, or anything of that nature. Maybe a few folks that over-estimated their musical abilities, but I can live with that tradeoff.

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    About a year after we had all been playing together. As expected, it cause some frustration among the group, due to the timing of the request, the nature of the request, and the very request itself.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Ok. I just now got the joke.

:lol:

4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    I've played in our church band for the past 8 or 9 years, and truly enjoy it. Small church, and band membership is a bit of a revolving door. Currently I'm the only guitar player, and we are between drummers. It's good experience because of the variety. We play everything from traditional hymns, to gospel, to syrupy ballads, to hard rock. Also, not a lot of time to polish a song. We play upwards of 120 different songs in a year.

I'd echo what others have said about finding the right fit. Our team sees itself, not so much as performers, but as worship leaders. There is a difference. I would suggest visiting a number of churches to see what feels right.

Some people diss worship bands, but I would venture to say that there is many times more live music being played in churches Sunday morning than all other venues put together the rest of the week. And even most small churches have better sound systems than most night clubs.

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I play at church and have on and off for several years. Been pretty tied to it the last 18 months. Hoping to train up a fill for me .

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I did it for around five months one time when the church we were attending lost their piano player. When they got another piano player I quit. I will say it was a lot of work. I was there three times a week sometimes I had help, sometimes I didn't, and you have to keep learning new stuff all of the time. Which isn't a bad thing, but it takes time, at least it did for me. Overall I enjoyed it.

Hendrixlvr likes this.
  7. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Shouldn't you first focus on finding a church you can pray with?

It seems rather disingenuous to use a church to satisfy your musical needs, rather than serving your own church community with your musical skills.

daddyplaysbass, dswo and RetroTeleRod like this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

No,.. however I have done a gig with one member of the band, The Church....:D

chezdeluxe likes this.
  9. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I recommend just attending somewhere you think you might want to play. Every church has a culture. Make sure you feel comfortable there before you even tell anyone you play an instrument.

I've been playing in churches since 1980 and every one's different. I'm at my fifth, the best one yet.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you guys have any suggestions for someone who plays on a different team, Bertrand Russell's?

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    So, it's just a horribly wrong thing to want to play hymns and praise music if you aren't on that team? That's really confusing to me. Just because I've lived and learned, I now have to give up the music that I loved when on the other "team"? That might be one of the reasons I gave up on that stuff...

12. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I left the church many years ago. I was a big part of the evening service music team. I certainly never wanted to go back and play in their band, especially playing music that I no longer believed in.

13. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Place an ad on craigslist and put a band together.

14. BigDaddyLH

I'm confused by which "team" is which in this post. Anyway, I've never been a guy to pay any attention to lyrics, but if they want me to stop drinkin, that makes no sense to me. Where is that Benjamin Franklin quote?

15. BigDaddyLH

See, I'm kinda lazy :oops:

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    That's the thing...I left too, but the lyrics to the songs I sang don't burn my lips when I sing em'...I still love the music.

You were asking suggestions about your team, mine is the same as yours. As far as rules, I want to play music with people who love music. It's what I figured we all have in common. If someone doesn't want me to play music with them and they have rules, that's fine. I enjoy playing alone too, just enjoy making music with others...any music.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  17. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I played at my wife's church's folk mass a few times. It was engaging to a point, but I can't deal with the Catholic guilt trip and as many have pointed out, if you aren't accepting the message you probably shouldn't be there.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    Down here in Big D there are some bIg churches with lots of $$$. And some of them pay their musicians per service they play at. It is a hard thing for me sometimes to think about getting paid (although in the churches I play at we don't get paid but some of our band members have left for other churches that do pay) to do something that you love and offer to the congregation. But there is a definate duty that comes with it, you have to practice, learn the songs, provide your gear, and then also rehearse which might be a couple of hours during the week and an hour or two before the service. And then you play the service. So getting paid doesn't sound like a bad plan.

And as far as the "alcohol" issue. I am part of a progress fellowship that abstains from alcohol. And that hasn't stopped a number of people I have played with from drinking, sleeping around and doing drugs. It is just when it is found out that someone has to decide what to do about it. So definately find out what what is required of you first.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

The list is getting worse and worse! :(

chezdeluxe likes this.
  20. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    i have friends that do the sunday morn thing as just another paid gig and they dont even believe..the churches hire out...that always has me perplexed....

Ascension and eallen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.