Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone here play in a church band?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

I'm thinking about seeing if I can find a church band to play with. I really miss playing in front of people, but my life is no longer conducive to the bar scene (plus I’m too old for that stuff lol). Playing in a band on Sunday mornings is definitely doable. I would love to get back into playing regular and I’m wondering how good of an option this is?

Any thoughts?

dan1952, RetroTeleRod and tery like this.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Sounds like a good option to me. It seems like there are many churches that use bands in church services and play traditional as well as more contemporary rock...all the way to thrash metal praise! What's not to like?

dan1952 and Hendrixlvr like this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Try asking in the Worship Service Players subforum.

dan1952, koen, Hendrixlvr and 2 others like this.

4. A bunch. As William mentione there is a sub forum on Worship Service Players. We have played a full band weekly, full contemporary. I did for years but moved to preaching & hiring other pastors to do it.

dan1952 and Hendrixlvr like this.

5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    As a long time church player let me give you some pointers.

First, you need to decide what style you would like to play. There are all flavors of worship bands out today. I actually played bass for a church two weeks ago where we started with Wake Me Up from Avicii

There are a number of churches that will start the service with a cover just to, pardon the pun wake people up.

Then there are the churches that are more traditional, hymn book style playing and such.

Secondly, I would check out a church's webpage first on FB or if they have a website and see what they play and how they play live.

I have played in church's that seated less than 100 and more than 1000 and the key is finding the fit.

Third, brush up on the latest worship groups. Elevation, Hillsong, Bethel etc. Most churches are playing these folks songs so the more familiar you are the better.

Also for larger churches plan on auditioning. Smaller churches may just ask you to start playing no questions asked. I have actually seen some CL ads asking for musicians for church service. Some of my friends actually get paid to play on Sundays...

6. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Wow. That’s all great advice! Thank you

dan1952 likes this.

7. BigDaddyLH

When I went to church "wake me up when it's all over" was what I told the kids before the sermon ;)

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I play traditional/southern/country gospel in church every week.
    I love it!

telemnemonics, dan1952, E5RSY and 4 others like this.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I do not but I would imagine that it is the best gig possible .

dan1952, RetroTeleRod and Hendrixlvr like this.

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    Without violating forum rules...as someone who has done this to some extent, almost nonstop, since 1985, let me throw this out there: either do it because you feel led to, or as a volunteer/hired musician with everyone on board in full understanding as to your intent. There may be some gray area, but I haven't found it in thirty-plus years of playing.

It sounds as though you're looking for a church with a band that could use you, as opposed to attending a church where--since you are a musician--you are eventually invited into the worship band. As suggested above, find a style of music you're comfortable with, and in the case of more traditional churches, be ready to play in any key imaginable. I wish you the best!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

11. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL
    I am a worship leader and guitarist and its truly rewarding. In the right church, you make a family for life. Especially in a well grown worship team. and its fullfilling, being a part of something bigger where people find life change.

tery, Hendrixlvr and RetroTeleRod like this.

12. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Also without jumping into a forbidden subject on the forum:

Before you plug in (pun intended), have a theological conversation with the leader, and whoever he or she reports to (pastor/elder). There may be some things they request/require, even in your personal and private life which you may or may not be on board with. I say this because there are some worship groups who require a different standard (for lack of a better term) from their musicians than they ask of the congregation/audience.

For instance, 20 years ago, the leader of a worship group that I was in asked everyone in the band to abstain from alcohol.

Those are things that you want to know up front - not after spending time rehearsing and learning songs.

13. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Also, these days, you’ll need a reverb pedal with a “shimmer” setting. That’s just the way it is.

Deeve and RetroTeleRod like this.

14. BigDaddyLH

Reported.

E5RSY, Preacher and TheGoodTexan like this.

15. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    No, but when my tinnitus goes away by God healing it. I 'm called to preach. And will play gospel music and sing. If my church asks me sure I will.

thunderbyrd and black_doug like this.

16. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA

17. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Very good point. I love listening to, and to some extent, playing hymns and other religiously based music...but I can respect the wishes of anyone who doesn't want to play that music with someone who doesn't share their spiritual beliefs. Seems contrary to the "love" thing...but, oh well.

I'm not sure how anyone could love music and not love em' some gospel soul music...:)

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I once played in a Lutheran band. I played the bass lines of Bach chorales on electric bass with a piano wind quartet. No pick: fingers, lower volume just to support the piano and fill out the bottom. Worked pretty well.

Hendrixlvr likes this.

19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    before, during, or after the gig?

20. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    There's quite a few churchs that frown on a brown bagged 40 in your case...

SPUDCASTER, drf64, Deeve and 4 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.