Anyone here gone thru transplant.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mechanic, May 19, 2019.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

3 weeks out from a liver transplant and starting to feel my oats. Limited to 10lbs lifting, no driving, 2000 calories a day. I’m still in a little pain, the belly band limits my breathing capacity. Still a bit unsteady but getting a mile or so in on my walks. Every body tells me I’m looking great. I’m still having issues with swollen feet and legs. I wear compression thigh high socks, drink 2 liters of water a day.
    I guess my main question is, how long was it be fore you felt like your self?

Torren61 and stevemc like this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

good luck and a speedy recovery!

uriah1 likes this.
  3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Glad you got the transplant, so many don't. I've never had to do so, but I have had major surgery, and have a permanently crippled arm. I don't think about feeling "normal," instead I am so thankful to still be alive and to have the use I still have of that arm. Good luck, glad you're still with us!

4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I came close to ending up on that list. But i got lucky and ended up not needing one. That's some heavy duty stuff you're enduring now. Keep up your spirits and some of the rest will take care of itself

dan1952 likes this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have not had a transplant, but I was raised by my father, who received a heart transplant when I was in my teens. As such, I am really familiar with everything that's involved in recovering from surgery, and continuing your life after your physical recovery.

Don't push your recovery from surgery. You will never be 100 percent of your old self. Things are different now, and you need to learn new routines and new limits.

The most important things are detailed and attentive self monitoring, and good communication with your doctors. If you have a doctor who you feel you can't communicate well with, you need to find one with whom you can, because that relationship with your doctors is life or death.

The hardest things long term will be staying on top of your daily care, and dealing with the numerous side effects from all the medicines.

You need to be diligent about taking and logging your daily vitals; they are the first signs of rejection.

Your "cocktail" of anti-rejection drugs will be ever evolving. There will never be a point where you can just "coast" and take the combination of pills you are on forever, and think everything will be fine. You always have to be adjusting your cocktail...and you don't know the early signs of when an adjustment is needed if you aren't taking and logging your daily vitals.

The drugs can cause short temper, [severe] depression, hair growth, weight gain, you name it. Individual therapy can help you and those around you deal with this. I'd consider it another form of medicine that you have to take as part of living with a transplant.

Keeping yourself alive is now a full time job. If you're good at your job, you'll do very well. If you aren't, then you won't. So do a good job. Stay on top of your stuff every day. Learn your body, so you know when something seems "off." Don't be shy about communicating with your doctors.

Good luck.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Every days a victory. One day at a time - Hey! I'm a fortune cookie! If you look hard enough you'll see someone worse off. You got this, and hopefully your Tele's shy of 10 lbs.

Good luck & God bless.

7. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

Never had a transplant,but I have liver issues.
    Best of luck with the recovery.

dan1952 likes this.
  8. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And that is why we come to this site! Nice reach out.

EsquireOK likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of my daughter's school-mates had a dad who was on the list "forever".
    When he finally completed the surgery, he was willing to do all things on post-surg list.
    Do 'em.
    Whenever feeling down, compare w/ pre-surg status.
    Now 10 yrs later this young woman still has a daddy, who will be present @ her hi-school grad.
    Worth it.
    Peace - Deeve

Milspec, DFB1, william tele and 2 others like this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

No experience, but I wish you the best. Take good care of yourself and be patient and kind to yourself.

william tele likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

be careful: nurses are often hot and they're all freaks in bed

just sayin'

Jim622 likes this.
  12. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Anyone here gone thru transplant

Contact your care person at the hospital
    There is probably a support group, usually made up of people who've had transplants, who should be able to help you and answer your questions.
    Those people are better qualified to discuss your situation with.
    People here at TGPRI mean well, but it's always best to get info from the horse's mouth as the saying goes.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  13. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Godspeed...

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good luck Mechanic! I would imagine a liver transplant would be a fairly long process and involve lot's of meds. Some meds can cause the symptoms you have. Keep a good watch on your self and work with the Doc to help you help yourself!

15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It takes time for the body to recover from even a simple surgery, let alone a major one like a liver transplant. Hell, it takes 3 weeks to recover just from a galbladder removal so it sounds to me like you are doing awesome!! It just takes time, don't push it too hard, and wish you a speedy recovery.

16. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I hope you feel better sooner.

In answer to your question, I have not had a transplant. However, I lost 135 lbs of useless, malignant tissue about 15 years ago. Sometimes divorce IS the best option.

17. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hang in there. Hope you get feeling better (sounds like you're on your way) and have a speedy recovery.

18. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

First of all ... Very best wishes that you make a full recovery.

Not personally had a transplant but Mrs 41144 had a kidney one after a sudden and chronic illness, so by proxy ...

Everyone's different on illnesses/recovery etc and your general health/age prior to transplant can play a big part in it.
    Sounds like you're doing well walking a mile after 3 weeks and simply by following what the medical pros tell you regarding diet/exercise will pay dividends as will being compliant with the medicines regime. (Key to which of course is anti-rejection drugs)

Obviously cannot say how long before you'll start to feel more like your pre-op/illness self but, suspect you'll need to give it a few more weeks yet and, ...don"t laugh too hard if you can avoid it for a while yet :rolleyes:

Good luck ...

19. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

8F28304F-FE67-43FF-B1B9-8E60F8AF6D35.jpeg Well with the cross section of people we’ve got here I was hoping for at least one person that’s going thru this. Vitals are done daily. Weigh in daily. Wound is healing nice. Everyone tells me I’m doing, looking great. I just don’t feel it. Sleep is difficult. Any exercise is difficult. Appitite isn’t very good, my wife is a chef. I just wanna feel it, not only look it. I still look like me.
    Both campuses here in Salt Lake do a lot of biz in transplant surgery. The group I went with covered by my insurance uses compromised livers, promiscuous sex, druggie, Hep A, B, C. They have the highest success rate using these. Head of surgery told me there are no perfect livers for my size or blood type. Live doner was not an option. None of my kids were a match due to the size needed. 6’4”, 200lbs.
    I’m just frustrated with my body and the healing process. I’ll get thu it. The alternative sucks as well. I’m just hoping someone else has gone thru this to give me some reassurance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.