Anyone here go against/disregard doctor’s advice/prescription ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Feb 19, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Seems these days EMT's and ER docs are challenged by the fact that there are too many new meds on the market for interaction studies to have been done and published on all the possible meds a dying patient may be taking, when the ER doc tries to save a life with an emergency med.

When my Mother was getting cancer and dementia treatments along with a few other old folks meds I talked with her docs frequently.
    One said if we don't kill her with the treatment she might recover and live a while.
    Another said we don't know what to expect, but we prescribe these meds because the pharma company says they work. The psych doc even said he has seen no improvement in dementia in any patients taking dementia meds.

bftfender likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

One big problem is that doctors are provided fee for services so they have an incentive to charge for more services and to also do as many services as they can in a day. In order to make a living they try to limit
    their time with patients to about 15 minutes so they can get on to the next one. So while they are well meaning and believe they want to really listen to you, the clock is ticking and most of them are pretty antsy to
    get on to the next patient. If you can find a doctor who is willing to take the time to have a real conversation with you, that counts for a lot. Hopefully they are also doing a good job of getting refresher medical training
    (as required by state board requirements, typically) so they are up on the latest information regarding the efficacy and pros/cons of various standard treatment regimes. If they are good doctors they are not just
    allowing themselves to be spoon fed hype by Big Pharma reps but are getting good information from more objective sources such as the CDC, for example.

Drug interaction is a real issue. For older people, finding a good geriatric doctor is probably a good call. They have a lot more knowledge about how best to manage ailments that typically start a bit later in life. In many
    cases manage is the key word...not curing, but making sure that numerous ailments are being managed well enough to maintain a good quality of life.

Genuine high blood pressure is a very serious condition. If the OP has it, it is very important to take it very seriously. Rather than pursue an alternative treatment, I would want to find a doctor I trust (for the reasons
    outlined above) and work with that doctor on a treatment plan that might involve a combination of drugs and lifestyle changes, with regular monitoring to figure out the best course. For example, it might be reasonable
    to start on a med, get lifestyle on track (diet, exercise, meditation, whatever), and test weaning down off the medication to a lower dose or zero dose over time.

All that said, I also agree that it is good to do your homework. Just be careful on the Internet to avoid quackery. Lots of it out there. Look for articles from mainstream media sources and mainstream health care sources,
    such as CDC, Kaiser, other well-known major medical institutions, published medical journal literature, etc. Folks that have relatives or friends that are good doctors can often get excellent advice that way.

One good question to ask
    any doctor is, "if you were in my situation, what would you do?". Most doctors would lean torwards under-prescribing medications when it comes to themselves....but part of that is they trust that they would monitor their own
    situation closely and adjust based on data over time.

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

my wife has had a whole litany of illnesses, conditions, and problems. Breast cancer 3 times; Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma; Heart failure requiring Aortic valve replacement. Sepsis, 4 times. And all the psychological problems related to these.

I have learned to study the data when a new medication is prescribed. She seems to be the kind who reacts very bad to some medications. I don't tell her what I read about the meds, but I keep an eye out. I have seen her suffering from side-effects. We have often spoken to our doctors, who have been quite helpful in suggesting alternate meds, or in assessing the value and need for some pill which seems to be giving her a bad reaction.

Your relationship with the doctors has to be full-on, open, but non-confrontational. You need to listen to them, ask questions, and understand why they recommend a particular medicine. You have to ask what alternates there are, and what are the pro's and con's of the alternates. You have to ask about the consequences of NOT taking the medication. You have to have the information needed to make an informed choice.

The guy nat work, the girl in the gym; the person at the coffee shop - they all have opinions and anecdotes. There may be some value in their advice. But the doctors know a lot, too; and their whole thing is trying to cure you. So that is worth quite a lot.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I'm not a doctor, but I am a patient with HBP. My doctor encouraged diet and exercise before prescribing BP meds. I'm pretty surprised that yours didn't.

It's more than reasonable to have the conversation with your doctor.

5. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Meister

I have a wealth of serious medical problems, including type 1 diabetes for 47 years and leukemia.
    I see four doctors on a frequent schedule plus several others as needed.
    More than once there have been conflicting opinions among my doctors on treatment and medications.
    When there are differences of opinion among my doctors, all of whom I consider very competent, what's a mother to do?
    I usually go with my nephrologist, whom I consider to be an exceptional doctor. I am not a doctor, but his advice rings true to me. Also, time has proven him correct.
    This means that on occasion I have to tell my GP that another doctor has countermanded his advice. He has been ok with this. He also pretty much leaves me to my own devices on blood sugar management. My A1C usually runs ~ mid 5s (5.6 last week) so he just tells me to keep doing whatever the heck I am doing.
    Anyway, I try to take responsibility for for health decisions and use my doctors for well appreciated expert advice.

Mark

6. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

they call it 'practicing' medicine

getbent likes this.
  7. macoshark

macoshark NEW MEMBER!

Greetings, High Blood pressure is a big deal. I'm sure there are variables and reasons for those. I have HBP and must take Meds to keep it low. Back in the day, I was told, people dropped dead from HBP, cause there weren't meds for it. It would be smart to educate yourself on causes for HBP. Maybe all you do need is cleaning up your diet and getting in decent shape/weight. Never a bad idea. However, don't be like me and find out that wasn't the only reason you started to have HBP. My EKG was a bit off, 4 heart stents, a lot of dough, and drama showed narrowing of arteries was the big player in my HBP. Get a digital Blood Pressure cuff from Wal Mart and keep a record of your BP.

8. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

yes, i totally went against all doctors advice. and that is why i am still alive.
    i was born with severe aortic stenosis and had 2 open heart surgeries by the time i was 14.
    they gave me a huge list of things never to do.
    then they told me i would be dead at 23 no matter what.
    so i did all the things they told me not to do and had fun doing it.
    and here i still am.
    and i still refuse to get regular checkups.

DrPepper and bftfender like this.
  9. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

I was on anti-depressants for many years, a couple of years ago I finally got better. Told the doc and asked him to wean me off. he reduced the dosage once, in about a year. went to another doctor, asked him to wean me off. Again he reduced the dosage slightly, only once. I started doing it myself, very gradually. Now I'm down to a very low dosage and I still feel fine. I don't know what the deal is, I know drug companies treat doctors to vacations etc., but I'm sure it's nothing to do with that:confused:

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

when was young go to doctor..got a antibiotic or shot & some pain meds to get thru a rough spell..now..doctor..follow up..rehab..follow up..re re follow up..some more PT..so its big business..i dont go except when needed..a ladder i was on..broke at the foot last oct.(15 ft in air with chainsaw cutting limbs)i fell.i was concussed no doubt..head bounced off ground..leg still has a dent the bruise on my neck back and leg are still partly there..ladder cut me from ankle to knee..i sorta checked to see if i had my limbs ..scared crap outta my my wife, she was watching(brain injury for 2 plus years now) i do NOt have the ability to be hurt in life with wife with brain injury) at the moment..and after the wife's lack of help for her at every major institution ..i said there is nothing the medical comunity has to offer me..when i die i die and have a company 4 kids & 5 grandkids and that is enough motivation to grin & bear,,this past 3 years..i dont really trust professionals..lawyers..doctors..to the point of directly challenging them.its a shame before her accident..band was heavily involved in non profit work and shows..now i am skeptical and on guard and ready to fight..and its directly tied to 1 neurologist and an improper protocol and unqualified person jarring her neck in the office...uggg..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Question everybody and everything. Doctors feel like thy have done you good if the prescribe you a medication and that satisfies your condition but doesn't cure you.Most don't want to cure you, that would be like working themselves out of a job.

Socrates said, let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food... think about it.

bftfender likes this.
  12. heltershelton

most of the problems people have now are caused by what they put into their guts.

bender66 likes this.
  13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I think there's a lot of data on antidepressants that suggests that folks who really needed them, and then went on them long term, don't have great outcomes when they come off. At least on average. I don't know if you're going to a psychiatrist, but that would probably be a better avenue for doing something that a p-doc doesn't feel safe doing.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    stevemc likes this.
  14. heltershelton

in feb, 2017, my appendix burst. i let it go three days till the pain was so bad i HAD to go the the ER. they said had i waited 24 more hours i would be dead.
    they did some tests before they put me under, and when i woke up, there was a cardiologist standing there tell me i shouldnt be alive and that i needed heart surgery right away, and then tried to schedule open heart surgery.
    i was like "slow down chief"....yes, my heart is messed up, but somehow im still here. i think its because satan still has a restraining order on me from that one time....
    at any rate....i think its all about the money now and i dont think doctors really care about people like they used to. im sure there are some that do, but i think now its more about having the trophy wife.

15. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

Broken bones or car accident: Trust doctors and follow advice

General health: F#*K no.. Everything I do is against conventional medical wisdom (keto diet, high cholesterol intake, etc).. Truth is I am appreciably healthier than 99% of doctors my age.

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I want to switch to your doctor. I keep asking mine for a pill for borderline hypertension and he keeps saying “no! Sop eating pork rinds and get your fat ass outside and walk the dog everyday”

17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

I'm in Canada, and it's really hard to access a psychiatrist, but I've been on a very low dosage for months and I'm doing fine. If I felt the least bit depressed I would go back to the full dosage.

18. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Remember your physics, for every action there’s an equal and opposite reaction. That said, always always always try diet and exercise first. I have all sorts of serious back/nerve issues and I’m trying to work through it with only ibuprofen. These are not new issues but they’ve been exacerbated by weight and age. Since the first of the year I’ve lost 14 pounds with at least that much more schedule to lose. Do as much homework as you can on your own and then you’ll have educated questions to ask the doctors.

19. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Well, Dr's are suppose to know more about the body than most of us.

But, sometimes, imho, they take advantage of our ignorance.

An old friend reminded me that WE ARE PAYING THEM. Therefore, they are technically EMPLOYED BY US.

If you disagree with their prognosis, methods or attitudes...

FIRE THEM.

And employ another Dr.

Fender427 likes this.
  20. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Swing it by your doc that you want to try diet and exercise and schedule a follow up to see if you are making progress. The devil in the details is that you actually have to do it. I think if you discuss it with your doc you'll be more motivated to actually make lifestyle change as opposed to going solo off the meds with good intentions, but very possibly falling out of habit of taking meds AND never getting around to getting regular exercise and avoiding deli meats

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.