Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone here ever build a Danelectro style guitar?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by micpoc, Apr 21, 2010.

1. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Preeb's recent Les Paul build - which should win some kind of web award :D - got me itchin' to try something like it, but as my skills are nearly non-existent, I thought I'd try something a bit more approachable for a first "from scratch" build, AND that will be unique enough for me to justify the time, as well as not being too expensive.

So, I've always wanted a Dano-style 12-string, and I'm investigating design, parts, etc. right now; not a clone per se, but a sound-alike replica inspired by a Danelectro. The main thing for me on this guitar would be learning to make a neck, as I don't want to use a pre-made one. The Dano body type, I'd think, shouldn't be too difficult to pull off, allowing me to concentrate on neck-based skill development.

Has anyone here ever built anything like a Danelectro, or have any particular insight into their construction other than what is commonly known?

Here's a particularly lovely example of how nice these guitars can sound; not sure when Howe recorded this. . .

2. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The irrepressible Mr. John Kingma has built a Dano double cut clone, a work of art

3. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    That's pretty cool looking; hadn't though about doing three pickups. Probably sounds pretty different with a solid body.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Check out my thread from last year's $100 Challenge.

6. udimet720

udimet720 Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I haven't seen any others here, but I have seen several that might be helpful over at the reranch forum.

Dano/Tele/Gretsch

Dano U1
    Be sure to check out the homebrew bridge on this one.

DC 59

Chucker Build
    There's been several builds from this user. Check his web site for other examples of dano-style construction.

7. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I just finished rebuilding my Squier '51 with GFS Pro Tube pickups (Strat neck & Tele bridge). I would have to say that it sounds some where between a Tele & a Dano. I love it. I put the neck pickup in last summer & really liked it, but was frustrated with any HB at the bridge. When I saw GFS come out with the Tele bridge Pro Tube I went for it & I'm glad I did. 3-way switch & no BS.

8. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the info, guys. Those threads on Reranch are just the ticket. :D

9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    ir·re·press·i·ble (r-prs-bl) adj.
    Difficult or impossible to control or restrain

Yeah, that sounds like me... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Rebirth of the Dano! Micpoc, if you build one, post your build here, It would be great!

11. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2010
    West End, NC
    Dano's have Masonite tops and backs. It's rumored that they've used pine, poplar or maple for the bodies. According to a recent article about the new reissues that have come out they tried poplar, but didn't like the sound so they went with plywood. A friend of mine has one of the first reissues. I had the chance to look at it on the inside. It definitely has a plywood body. The body is hollowed out. It has a center block kind of like a ES-335, but it stops at the bridge area, where it forms a small "T" shape. The necks are maple with rosewood fretboards. Allparts has aftermarket parts, including necks.

12. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Yeah, that's the approach I want to take; the whole point of this exercise is to get some experience making necks. A question about the body design: you mentioned a "small T" at the bridge area. Are you saying that the center block comes down from the neck area vertically, then stops at the bridge and extends horizontally to the sides?

13. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Absolutely, that's what I would do, though I am presently camera-less. . . not to mention router-less and skill-less. :lol:

14. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Those look great;did you build them with an angled headstock, or flat like a Fender? I haven't held a Dano in ages, and don't recall if they angled heads or not.

15. ringosoft

ringosoft TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2009
    out there
    My Danelectro is one of the 1999 re-issues. It has an angled headstock and scarf joint.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Is it worth it when the Korean re-issues are so cheap?

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The first 2 have angled back heads. The third one was a modified strat neck that I picked up on ebay many years ago.

18. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2010
    West End, NC
    Yeah basically it's like this picture. I'm not sure of the actual measurements but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

19. Superewza

Superewza Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  20. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Yeah, when my primary purpose is learning how to make a neck.

21. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Ah, so the T doesn't go all the way to the sides, but merely encompasses the bridge area plus a little; interesting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.