Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone here a Solidworks guy?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RogerC, Jan 7, 2013.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I have my fretboard radius jig that I'm trying to get done. I've got a friend at work whose dad has a cnc router, but he needs my design in dxf format, I believe. I have a Sketchup model done of what I need, but have no way of converting it to the right file type for him. Would anyone be interested in taking a look at it for me? I'd be willing to pay.... with cash.... or wood.... or guitar parts :mrgreen:

Thanks!

2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

3. RogerC

Sorry, Robert, that doesn't really help me lol. I really have no idea what I'm doing with it. All I know how to do is draw shapes in Sketchup, so anything other than that and I'm lost

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

What is Sketchup? Is it an autodesk software? Is you drawing to scale? What files types can you export? I have access to multiple cad programs, but if your drawing isn't to scale, it won't do much good to convert it. If you can give me more details, I might be able to help you.

Pfenning

6. RogerC

Thanks, Pfenning. Yes, my drawings are to scale. I can export as a 3d model in a .dae or .kmz file. Sketchup is a freeware autodesk program by Google. I've got 2 files-- 1 showing the jig put together, and 1 showing each of the different parts. There's also 1 more component that I need modeled, but I couldn't get it done. We can talk more about it if you're interested.

7. yipman

yipman TDPRI Member

sketchup is that free google program.. not really compatable with solidworks or inventor etc, im afraid you'll probably need to dimension it up and redraw it in a proper bit of software..
    personally, ive only ever used dxf files for 2d profiling.. so if its a 2d file you want, it shouldnt be too difficult.

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Send me the drawing and I'll see if I can open it in Rhino and send it back as a DXF.

9. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

I'm pretty sure I can do it, if you can't, Marty. I can at least get an obj from it. I haven't had a lot of luck with .dxf exports. I can open .dae files.

10. guitarbuilder

Rhino can open an SKP file which it says is sketchup... does that one sound familiar?

11. RogerC

I just need something that can be used to help program a cnc router for cutting basic shapes out of 1/2" plywood.

And BTW, I'm a wing chun guy, too ;)

Thanks, Marty. I think I've got a copy here at work. If not, I'll send it from home tonight.

Thanks, Phil. Let's see what Marty can do with it.

Yep

12. guitarbuilder

It opened but with nothing there...next idea?

13. RogerC

I'll try to re-send it from home tonight. Thanks for trying!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.