Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone heard of the "Squier Master Series" before?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Telefinken, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackbelt308

blackbelt308 Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    [content removed]

They are really nice guitars. Great fit and finish. Not very Tele-like tonewise of course, but really nice!

Here's mine...

[​IMG]

Ciao,
    Rick

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010

2. Telefinken

Telefinken Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Well I'll be... [​IMG] How could I have missed them...I suppose they've been discontinued for some time.
    Yours look really cool, as well as the thin-lines I see hanging on the wall! [​IMG]

cheers
    [​IMG]

3. Bill Jones

Bill Jones Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2008
    ChiTown
    I picked up a Master Series M80 set neck model, back in '07 when Sam Ash was closin em out at half the goin price. Liked it so much I picked up another in Jet Black. First one is Amber Satin. As far as quality and playability, think Gibson SG. It'a a nice changeup from twangin' my Tele or ASAT.

Link: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...icGuitarAssortedColors_-1_10052_10002_183923#

They also made another model called an Esprit. I'd like to find one of those. I know the M80 was designed by Custom Shop Master Builder, Todd Krause.

I'm pretty sure they made 3 models, the chambered Tele, the Esprit, and the M80. All have Seymour Duncan designed pup's and were built in Korea by Cort.

4. Telefinken

Telefinken Tele-Meister

Dec 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Thanks for the info, Bill. Don't think I've heard of those models either. [​IMG] I can imagine they're quite different to play from a standard Tele. [​IMG] Wonder if those Duncan Designed in the Thin-line are the same as in my Jagmaster...?

cheers
    [​IMG]

5. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Culver City CA
    My first electric was a Master Series M-80 Special - bolt-on neck, dual humbuckers, nothing at all like a Tele. I still have.

6. fatboymjt

fatboymjt Former Member

...got one a few years ago... lots of guitars..I'm keepin' this one!...mellow Tele tones....think of the bridge pickup,(with the tone rolled off)...like the middle set position on your regular Tele...then you can go darker from there...I can still get some good Twangy Tones,...with out getting ice picky...good for thumbpickin too!...like any guitar it's great,if it fits what your tryin' to do with it...;)

7. jarmijo

jarmijo TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2009
    chile
    i have the chambered tele
    better that the standard o the custom !!!!!

mahogany v/s agathis
    with Duncan designed pickups
    very good construction

but i wanna change the pickups...

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    I had heard about them and wanted to find out more, but there's not much out there in Google Land.

9. sfirm

sfirm NEW MEMBER!

Aug 27, 2010
    Leigh on Sea, UK
    Hi Guys,

I picked one up earlier this year. Identical to 'blackbelt308'.

Although it sounds nice I am thinking of changing the pickups to. Kinda got my heart set on a pair of 'BKP PG blues'.

'jarmijo', did you change your pickups? if so what did you choose and was it an easy operation?

I'm grateful to Telefinken for starting this thread as there is very little to find about these amazing guitars on the interweb.

10. twangstick

twangstick Tele-Holic

May 17, 2009
    Stafford, UK
    I wanted the chambered one at one point... but its a little too Gibsonish for me.

11. jescoelvis

jescoelvis TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2003
    northeast
    I just got a chambered Squire tele, I've been waiting for one to appear at an insanely cheap price, and patience paid off, one did, and there you go. I remember looking at them when they came out, and although was sort of astounded at the quality and playability was a little put off by the matte finish hardware, didn't really need it, etc. 5 years down the road, whatever, for a little over a hundred bucks this thing is awesome, and though it's wonderful as-is, I'm sure I'm going to make it a platform for modification, probably starting with the pickups and wiring, then the hardware. maybe someone could suggest which set of GFS pickups, or something else as cheap, that would still provide some of the SG-like bright HB-ing sound but maybe have a little Gretsch Filtertron-ish vibe, as I'm also thinking maybe this guitar would be a good candidate for a Bigsby. The neck is flat out awesome, I usually play a maple tele neck that's about 1" thick w/9.5 radius from head to tail but this doesn't feel thin at all, and even though the neck is shorter and the frets are bigger it still feels great, no problems switching over. I can see where the saddles are backed all the way towards the rear of the guitar to intonate, but, is intonated perfectly. Hell, if you found one that didn't intonate it's a good enough instrument to dowel and redrill for better placement (a pretty easy job) and probably wouldn't make a cosmetic mess at all. I kind of suspected while playing, but it was confirmed by my roommate who is more "jam band"-oriented that this guitar as-is kind of nails the Trey Anastasio sound (therefore, new pickups, hurry on up!)

12. jescoelvis

jescoelvis TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2003
    northeast

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.