Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone have this Squier?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Gutterguy, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2017
    O-town
    AE5FAB72-A238-4FF2-943A-E64C360CCA90.jpeg any issues? Looking for a backup to my Mexi-Tele. It’s cheap at $349.
    Thanks
    R.

2. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2017
    O-town
    Also, I’m going for a lefty version of this. Thinking of getting a good rosewood fretboard neck and changing this one out.

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    So new, are they even in stock yet? I'd love to hear some reviews, they're made in China. Wonder if they are as nice as CV series?

4. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Looks nice with the painted headstock. The machine heads look odd to say the least. They also look crooked on the photo with the bushings seemingly getting closer to the edge as they get up to the high E end. Hope they’re better in real life.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  5. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Old England
    Ha, I know this is a bit of a late reply, but in case you were still wondering...
    The Squier is undoubtably fine - it is the finished art studio that is at fault here. This photograph probably did not have a perfectly white background, so this was added later by drawing a 'mask' on top in a graphics programme like Photoshop, Illustrator etc, which causes everything outside the mask to be invisible. The mask has slipped down out of alignment here, causing the 'modification' to the fretboard and headstock. I have seen it happen many times :0(

thegreatshocka and Smiff like this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had an FSR Squire Tele in CAR with matching headstock and a humbucker on the neck, but a trad bridge pickup.

That one looks pretty cool, but I've never seen the point of a H-H Tele, honestly. The bridge pickup is kind of the reason I came to the party in the first place, and I have a couple of Les Pauls if I want to go full humbucker.

- D

tintag27 and 70Falcon like this.
  7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Suppose they are in stock, since I bought one second hand about a month ago.... :)

The Squier Contemporary series is made in China and the quality is comparable to the Standard and the older (pre 2008) Vintage Modified models. Honest price for an honest no frills dual humbucker tele. I haven't opened one up myself, but I thought I read somewhere that it has 250k pots, and that probably contributes to the nice warm character... The pickups are supposed to be ceramics, and it has a pretty flat fretboard radius.

If I compare this one to the Vintage Modified Custom (basicaly a deluxe model with two covered humbuckers with alnico magnets), then this one wins (for me). The Custom took a while to learn to love it, this one I loved right away.

If I compare this one to the Fender Blacktop (2 models ago) from around 2010, then I find this one (the Squier Contemporary) "warmer". But the overall feel of the Fender blacktop is just a little better to me.

Don't think current Squier range has any issues, just preferences. Yours will be different from mine. I like variation in my tele arsenal.

8. amhildreth

amhildreth TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Rochester, NY
    I just picked up that same guitar at GC yesterday. Last day of the July 4th sale for $250. I've run it through some paces, and the bang/buck ratio is impressive. Neck was straight with no rough fret edges. Finish looks good. Both ceramic buckers on mine sound pretty good, and only required a minor height adjust for one. This is the first Squire I've ever owned, and I'm pretty impressed. I would have no issues with taking this guitar in the studio, or on stage. It's going to be a great partner in crime with my '91 Tele. HH Tele.jpg Twin Teles.jpg

nicod98 likes this.
  9. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I tried a lefty a couple of months ago. The ONLY thing I didn't like about it is that it's red. Otherwise, one HELL of a nice playing & sounding guitar! If it were any other color, I would've taken it home.

These are seriously nice guitars!

10. rave

rave Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I tried one yesterday at GC. I have a vintage modified Tele custom that I like better. The guitar was better than the affinity’s and bullets. I have never played a Tele Squier standard but that sounds like a good comparison. The classic vibes I have played seem about as good as my mim Tele

11. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Jan 4, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    I tried one of these and one of the strats from the series and both had really rough frets. I have owned and played a lot of Squiers though and that is not a common issue, so I tend to think these were just lemons. Combined with the store doing absolutely nothing to set them up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.