Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone have sound clips of a Mesa Lonestar with 6V6 tubes?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jamesw1301, Dec 12, 2017.

1. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Cedar City Utah
    I don’t suppose anyone on this forum has any sound clips or vids of a Mesa Lonestar Classic that is running 6V6 tubes?

I’m thinking of making the switch in my Lonestar and would love to hear some sound comparisons.

Thanks!

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I may be missing something - but isn't the Lonestar a 50 or 100 watt amp with 6L6s? The 30 watt version runs EL84s but neither AFAIK could take 6V6s.

6V6s in the 100 watt version would last 5 minutes before lighting up like Roman candles... Even JJs wouldn't live long. You could run 5881s in it. But it'd need biasing. Given it's switchable from 5-50-100 watts it's hard to know what you'd be gaining.

3. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Cedar City Utah
    From my understanding you can run a quartet of 6V6 tubes in 6L6 mode as long as you run the low power mode (the tweed setting)

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If you run in 'low power' it runs two power tubes in 50 watt mode according to Mesa..... The Tweed modes probably just click in a resistor in the B+ rail to emulate a tube rectifier.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/lone-star-series/lone-star/index.html

The Tweed mode it says it reduces power - slighty, to get more sag. Fender pushes two 6V6s to 22 watts and that's considered pushing them.

I'd be asking Mesa - I doubt they would recommend or even suggest it. Boy, 6V6s in a 100 watt amp........ 5881s would probably live and give you a browner tone.

5. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Cedar City Utah
    I agree, I wouldn't want to harm my lonestar at all. But I am also confused as to why Mesa would put the capability in the lonestar manual? I'll reach out to Mesa and get some clarification.

But I have seen youtube vids of people running 6v6's.

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    because the low/tweed power reduces plates voltage; & that's all

Wanna be on the safe side even more: JJ6V6S -

7. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Cedar City Utah
    pardon my ignorance, but I assume JJ6V6S tubes can handle more voltage?

8. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Cedar City Utah
    So I reached out to Mesa customer support, and they replied:

"Yes, you can run 6V6s in your amp provided you always power the amp up in the Tweed setting when doing so to prevent burning out the 6V6s.

Here's what the owner's manual shares on this topic...

It is possible to install a quartet of 6V6 power tubes to achieve a lower overall power rating and a looser, breathier power feel. Make sure you set the A.C. POWER switch to low (the Tweed setting) when using these tubes and keep the BIAS SWITCH set for 6L6 operation. It is also advisable to plug an amplifier's 8 Ohm speaker load into the 4 Ohm jack. This scheme provides the best response while at the same time reducing stress on the tubes.

Kind regards,
    Trent"

9. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Ok, well if Mesa and the manual say so, have at it! Be interesting to hear it. Yes - use JJs. Their tubes seem to be able to take more punishment.

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Definitely - used them regularly in all sort of 6L6 amps (super reverb) etc..with 460 on the plates - no problem

they sound good too, imho

11. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Cedar City Utah
    Now I just need to hear some clips of a lonestar with 6v6's so I can decide if I want to shell out the cash for new tubes haha

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.