Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone have Harmony / Stratotone H46 / 1421 plans or dimensions ?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adamkoop, Apr 19, 2017.

1. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    My father used to have one of these, and it became the first guitar I really played. Fast forward a few years and a few moves and now we have no idea what became of it .. I had lent it to someone, but my father and I both recall it coming back from that person because they took a sticker off it and we were less than enthused about that .. after that, it disappears from memory. Neither of us would have sold it or thrown it away, and noone in the family remembers anything ever becoming of it .. so it truly up and vanished. I've been through their new place with a fine tooth comb, and my father has as well .. no sign of it anywhere.

So, i'd like to build one for him .. won't be able to get the same pickups, but some mini-hums or perhaps some modified neck mount jazz pickups should fit the bill. I just can't find any pdf plans or dimensions for them.

Does anyone have a pdf, or maybe one on hand they could take some measurements of for me ? Nostalgia factor on this one is pretty high

Pictures are of the model in question .. ours was like the first picture as I recall.

2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    A Harmony Stratotone was my first electric guitar. Besides the high nostalgia factor that you mentioned,
    it was always (and remains) a guitar that is a lot of fun to play.

If somebody doesn't already have a set of measured drawings, I'll see about taking photos of my
    (single pick up model) Stratotone.

Within the past few months, somebody had a build thread of something quite similar built from plans found in an old Mechanix Illustrated magazine. You might want to search for that thread.

PM with your address/email, and I'll see what I can do as far as sending you some photos.
    I'm not sure how closely you want to copy details like hardware or finish details. We'll discuss. Good luck with it!

3. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    Sent a message you way. Or believe I did ..

So long as I can get the shape to match up, I should be good. I can find 3 in a row tuners and all the hardware that will be close enough to a match, and then go from there.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
  6. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    Hmm .. he only has the smaller "solid body" ones. Still really cool guitars, though

Newbcaster likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
  8. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
  9. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I have a 1421. If you need any dimensions you can PM me.
    Rob

10. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert

I will say one thing. That puppy is a Delta blues MACHINE. If you play slide... dang. Need those pickups!!

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I got a Stratotone neck, (on a Stratocaster body) will be happy to measure it up for you if you want. PM if so. (No idea what model it's from 3x3 headstock [I guess they all were, weren't they?] with the atomic symbol on it.)

12. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Meister

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I've got a line drawing for a 1420 body, if it helps. PM me

13. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    Pickups would cost me a fortune, assuming I could find them .. I do realize that's where most of the magic came from though. Thinking back, I was even playing through a tube amp starting out .. I remember it taking time from when I switched it on to when it would start making sound. It broke up real nice when you cranked it too ..

I'll keep it in mind, neck it going to be more or less freestyle, I think .. but some additional references wouldn't go astray.

Looks like the 1420 was just a black 1421, so that'd be real handy if you've got. I'll PM my email address

14. Barncaster

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Pups are no problem. I replicate the cores. They use true original type wire, polymer magnets and dimensions.

15. Barncaster

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    They sound like this.

ckloewer, crazydave911 and Mat UK like this.
  16. Barncaster

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Rewound stockers sound like this

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.