Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone have/had a single bridge humbucker (full sized) or P90 tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ssmtb, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2016
    Boise
    Im currently playing a converted Strat which imitates a LP Jr: single bridge P90 (humbucker sized to fit a cheapo pickguard) , volume, tone: Rock.

The frets are getting near the end of their life so I am considering a new guitar single pickup instead of a refret. LP Jrs are craaaazy expensive (for what they are) and i like 25.5 scale length so I'm thinking a Tele is in order!

I'm thinking this would be an easy project with any of several HH or SSH teles out there. Played a "modern player" tele at GC recently and it was pretty okay. Looking for a nice baseball bat neck tho...

Yes I know there are some very nice p90 voiced bridge pickups out there, and I still plan to go that route in a future Esquire project, but I like my current HB sized p90 so... Let's see them folks! I know there's gotta be some out there!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Not quite a P90 ... Humbucker with 4-way switch in the usual two single pickup wiring scheme except order is neck,parallel, bridge, series to the rear so it's easy to swing from clean to crunch. Single coils on this are 8kohms so alone they are almost a P90 in output. Bridge pole pieces are raised and the whole pickup is lowered to get more separation between 'neck' and 'bridge' tones.

BlacknTort_Tele_170114sm.jpg

3. Strange Ol' Man

Strange Ol' Man Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    United States

4. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    1497488227587.jpg

Forgive the terrible flash photo, but here's mine! It's a regular ol' paf-style bridge pickup, but I'm thinking of going back to an AlNiCo II. Still, I love this guitar to death! I doubt I'll ever part with it.

hellopike and Minimalist518 like this.

5. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2016
    Boise
    Well that's a pretty rad guitar right there! Hot pickup, but I like all the wiring options.

What model guitar did you start with? Looks nice.

6. ssmtb

ssmtb Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2016
    Boise

Very nice! Love the natural finish and soapbar.

Single knob? Right on.

CyrusF likes this.

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Avril Lavigne has one.... :cool:

stratlt and radiocaster like this.

8. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Maybe an SD P-Rails? Lots of tonal options with those...

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2014
    Wokingham England
    I put a 'Lil '59 in my Affinity Tele and wired it straight to the output jack. It's my low budget version of a LP Junior and great for just banging out chords with plenty of distortion. Still got to respray it Surf Green as was my original plan. I have re-aligned the bridge/scratch plate since this photo:

Esquire 5.jpg

ssmtb likes this.

10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 26, 2008
    roanoke, va
    Gee that looks familiar.

11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I have a dual p90 model tele,akin to a LP special. Love it to pieces! :cool:

12. perttime

perttime Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Here's Philo, my blueprint tele with parts from all over the internet. Its pickup is called a "P-99" from Arizona Guitar Parts, but I can't tell it from a P-90. Fat and growly sound. I've thought about getting a Gibson P-90 for it so I could say it has a P-90 in it. . .naah.

Philo done.jpg

cdwillis likes this.

14. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    My current project. Probably not what you're looking for, but I'm finding the partscaster approach very fun and rewarding. Also I've just been dying to show someone.

20170617_141253.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.