Anyone have experience with the Planet Waves locking straps???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Now, those are pretty cool looking. Great. Now I have to go buy more guitar straps and the WAF is at historic lows. At this rate, I'm going to have to start burying some in the backyard or something.

2. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I used to use the Schaller locks on all my guitars, but I found that there was too much clanking, etc., and too many parts - made me nervous. Then, I got a bag of 100 of these for about eight bucks from Amazon, and voila - no more problems (although they don't fit the pickup end-pins on my acoustics that are so equipped):

[​IMG]

bgmacaw and fidopunk like this.
  3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have the first two versions of the Planet Waves locking strap. The second version is a bit easier to use, but not as comfortable, as the first version had a shoulder pad. However, I bought an after market shoulder pad that works great.

I one of the best things about the locking strap is that it works on my Gibson ES, in which the strap pin sticks straight out of the neck heel toward my body. That makes the guitar want to tip away and out of any strap. No problem with the PW.

I have been using these on all my electrics for over ten years, never had a problem.

I see they now make a new "auto lock" version that's over twice the cost of the older version. I may give it a try though. Looks interesting, and was co-designed with Ned Steinberger, always a good sign.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Is this a real thing? When has that noise posed an actual problem when playing (or otherwise)???

My Schallers are so old they say "Made in W. Germany" on them. In all that time it has never been a problem.

5. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Real enough that I don't use them. That's not to say that they're poor quality, or whatever. They're just not my cup of tea with that jangle when I move around. The mechanism itself is very secure.

bsman and E5RSY like this.
  6. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

I think I pretty much use them, or a variant, on all my guitar nowadays. IMO, it's the way to go.

7. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

I have the newer version for my 9lb tele. Very secure and easy on and off (it only comes off when I work on the guitar). It's a simple slider button with a ratchet. More slender than the older version and one-handed operation. A little pricey but very comfortable and trouble free. I'd rather pay more than wrestle with cheaper straps and chords, Planet Waves has never disappointed me.[​IMG]

8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I use Dunlop Strap locks, but I put washers in where the straps supposed to go, then I can change my straps, or the length, I use leather ladder style straps and by just sticking a washer in the lock, I can put the strap on the end pin like normal and just put the locking part on after ![​IMG]b[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  9. Gorquin

Gorquin Tele-Meister

I received a 2 sets of Schaller strap locks as a gift and when I went to install them I took them right off. They stick out about 3/4" from the guitar body and look hideous.

Owenmoney likes this.
  10. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

How many people not using a locking mechanism have had a strap come off mid gig? I didn't even bother with the beer bottle ones last time and got through fine. Don't bother with them at rehearsals either. As long as the strap tab isn't worn, i think they're fine.

11. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Having dropped a SG back in the early 70s because the strap came off the pin one of the few times I didn’t have a grip or control of the neck I’ve been using Schaller exclusively. With every string change (unless it’s an emergency change at a gig) I take a few seconds to check pin tightness to the body and the locking mechanism to the strap. Tighten as (almost never) necessary and have confidence the strap and guitar will stay together until I remove the strap from the guitar
    As for the aesthetics - a banged up guitar is far uglier than a strap pin that sticks out a bit. And yes it can make some noise but I’ve heard it playing

Each guitar has a dedicated strap & Schallers. Win/win.

12. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I have this kind (Planet Waves) - they are great. Secure, easy to put on/off. They are hard to find now

[​IMG]

13. verb boten

verb boten TDPRI Member

Me too, very quick on & off.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a great idea! I have a few guitars with Dunlop Strap Locks, and I like them, but that would make them less strap specific to the guitar.

Owenmoney likes this.
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

That’s exactly why, that and so I can adjust my straps up and down without losing the ability to make sure it’s secure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

I have the locking straps on all my guitars. It's the only strap I use. Enough said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.