Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone have cool plans for a wooden guitar stand

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by motor_city_tele, Jul 11, 2011.

1. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2005
    motor city
    I need to build about 1 dozen portable, folding, wooden guitar stands for my telecaster and esquire guitars.

I have these . . .
    [​IMG]

I have a design on the table right now that I can use but it doesn't have the coolness factor I'd like. functionality over form for now.

thanx - jb

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    looks like you can squeeze at least 2 more 10 piece bodies out of that scrap.....

3. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    I don't have drawings but here is a design I stumbled on that I am planning to build a few someday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is that kind of what your looking for?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. motor_city_tele

Apr 25, 2005
    motor city
    I'm open to practically anything

All they have to do is keep the guitars off of each other and off of the floor. I'd like to be able to transport a dozen stands and a dozen teles at one time using the back seat of my car. So the idea of having them fold (or seperate) to conserve space is preferred. I don't want to spend any time assembling anything once I'm there either. basically, unfold, unzip, - done.

tootles - jb

6. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Not to pry, but are you transporting these 12 teles and their stands pretty regularly? Or is this a one-shot deal, like you're moving?

I ask because that'll affect your design. I'm thinking if stowing your stands in the back of the car is something that happens weekly, you'll likely be knocking hinges out of alignment fairly easily. So a SIMPLE design, minus as much hardware as possible, would seem best to me. Something simple, with pegs and/or wedges for assembly.

Something like the RockStand would seem to me to be the most practical idea...

7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Google is your friend

Just do an Image search on Google. There are some very interesting results that could be used for inspiration.

Lost_N_Austin

8. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2010
    Banner Elk, NC

Why can't you just dump your guitars in a pile?

-Josh

9. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

:eek:

10. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    Why am I feeling an insatiable urge to smack Malmsteen upside the head right now?

11. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    I'm sorry to say I have that urge a lot.

12. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    He sure knows how to relic a good guitar. Just throw them on the pile. Thank God he didn't mess up the '54 too badly.

13. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    "You see, when the fretboard is flat, I pick guitar like that up I go, like ohh, there's something wrong with it........ you know?"

14. crane550

crane550 Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2009
    Boise, Id
  15. kiwitele

kiwitele TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2008
    rotorua New Zealand

can I be next in line:mad:

16. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Apr 28, 2009
    Middlebury,Indiana
    Ah,but his fretboard isn't flat,its scalloped

17. motor_city_tele

Apr 25, 2005
    motor city
    ***are you transporting these 12 teles and their stands pretty regularly? Or is this a one-shot deal, like you're moving?

Hopefully, one time only.

I did the google search and really only one design jumped out at me. It folded up and folded into itself. It was pretty cool but the fabrication would be alot more than I planned on doing. plus, I'm not even sure I'd be able to pull it off.

I was just casting a line out to see if anyone had a design out there that I haven't already seen. I'll be building a prototype this weekend out of my ash scraps. It'll be an a-frame design with the hinge on top.

I'll update the x12 build thread with the design and progress this weekend.

tootles - jb

18. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I took Lost_In_Austin's advice and did the Google image search. Lots of interesting ideas. This one especially.

[​IMG]

This stand is called the Cooperstand. Lots of other views of it on the Internet and on eBay. One of their selling points is that it fits in your guitar case.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  19. chilldude

chilldude Tele-Meister

May 15, 2009
    SE WI
  20. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2009
    Foat Wuth, Texus
    Jack: The Cooperstand does look nice and very transportable.

21. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.