Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone have any experience with cherry?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bsnow17, Oct 4, 2010.

1. bsnow17

bsnow17 Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2010
    delaware
    i am planning my next build which i think is going to be a scratch build and i have a large amount of dry aged cherry that i will be able to get a lot of two piece bodies out of and possibly a few 1 piece bodies. Does anyone have any experience with cherry ie. does it sound good/look good or would i just be wasting my time. any help would be appreciated

2. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Cherry, along with walnut, are the North American cabinetmaking woods par excellence. Cherry works beautifully with hand tools, finishes nicely, and is stable enough for any furniture project necessary. It's a woodworking classic, and I've seen it used quite a bit in acoustic backs and sides.

With that said, I've never built a guitar out of it... but I can't imagine it would go badly. I wouldn't hesitate, if I found a decent supply.

Anyone?

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Personally, I know it makes outstanding necks, at least for acoustics. I also helped restore and old Baldwin Baby Grand piano that was cherry (hey I used to be ambitious) that had, if you can believe this, a bookmatched spruce soundboard! A very loud instrument with amazing clarity, NO wolftones.It was one of the most amazing examples of mass production craftsmanship I have ever seen and sounded as good as it looked which is saying a lot.Also makes my wrists ache everytime I hear "French Polish"..........lol

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have used cherry to make necks and bodies.

Its ussually fairly light, and ery stable, so it makes good necks.

The bodies I have built with it have all been chambered with maple caps. They have all had lots of sustain, very clear, resonant, and bit bright. Not overly bright, but a bit bright.

But for teles, it really doesn't have that tele tone in my opinion as a body wood. Ash, Alder, and Pine are all so similiar tonally, I don't have a problem using either. But when we start getting into other types of wood, I can hear some difference. Sometimes not a lot, sometimes a lot.

6. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    emu! has experience with stealing cherry pies. :D

7. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2008
    New York
    Funny this thread should pop up now, I too have a large amount of aged and dried cherry that I want to build a tele from.

8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Cherry sucks for necks and bodies . That's why I keep using it .

9. Shoved BassVIII

Shoved BassVIII Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2007
    Lima Ohio
    +1 on the tad bright. Great top wood

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.