Anyone got an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chatnoir, Jan 9, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

with netflix... you can log out from the app and login with a different user...

it is pretty easy... this is one where MAYBE, restore it back to where it 'worked' go to the apple store, tell them what you want to accomplish and then have them help you accomplish it...

the multiple users with a server is designed to work in school settings... it is not for regular consumers... and it requires a specific server... yes icloud is a server, but that is just proving you aren't thinking about the technical side of how things work... or choosing to think one server is the same as another... the two are not related for that purpose.

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

This is so far from the OP’s post

3. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but that will wipe out everything that she put on that is her own. She likes to build Minecraft models and the like. It will be my second choice if the iTunes work around doesn't work.

After you teach me everything that I need to know about severs teach me how to write in complete sentences. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. getbent

Attached Files:

• c77.jpg
      c77.jpg
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
  5. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I can see that you have all the charm of Triumph. What do you want to sniff?

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The 32 bit architecture is being phased out. For all practical purposes the choices are restore it, maybe jailbreak it, or move on.

This is not like some software where a user base will pay for extending the support and a new superior iPad is basically $300.

We should stop beating the dead horse now.

awasson likes this.
  7. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

How old is this iPad?

I gave my dad’s iPad regular to my niece this year, right around Christmas. It was 5 years old. We blanked it, set it up on her Apple ID and have no problem with Netflix.

EDIT: Nevermind... I see you’ve filled in the details as I read further.

By the way, the reason some software is abandoned after it’s been written and worked fine for years is because of security vulnerabilities that occur eventually. It’s expensive to support and patch old software and the returns aren’t worth it when it gets too old.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

It's an iPad 4, OS 10.3.3. The OS was updated 18 months ago. The Netflix app requires OS 11, or at least that is the messaging that we receive. You say that you "blanked it." Does that mean you reset it?

9. awasson

Yes, we reset it. I don’t know what version of iPad it is though. My wife and I bought it for my dad 5 years ago this February. I’ll have to find out more info from regarding the version and OS from my niece.

10. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Oh come on, it’s not April 1st yet.

It’s a normal feature which allows you to call for help if you can’t remember or dial the passcode, or so someone else can use your phone to call for help if you are hurt or incapacitated. The phone isn’t broken, and you should be thankful to have such a feature.

imwjl likes this.
  11. imwjl

FWIW, I found a reasonable solution to lammie200's problem by keeping our old iPad configured as me so those 32 bit apps stayed there but minimized all other app use and configuration where there could be a privacy or abuse issue. It let me use a now long gone guitar app and my kids use it.

When the old iPad's battery life got to just about unusable it was really obvious you could get the new base model for less than it's $329 price and the COSTCO holiday promo dropped it more. The new base model is the 64 bit architecture for compatibility and has overall performance and features that kind of make it like comparing performance of the 1980 Chevrolet I once had or even my daughter's '99 Camry to a current minivan having close to or almost 300 horsepower. That's why I said time to move on.

Closer to the original topic, I had to run over to the Apple Store (truly 1.5 blocks) at the end of my work day. The short wait and standing waiting for business team staff revealed a class where several were getting a perfect presentation of all these phone features. The woman at the table by me had the phone and watch her son got her for Christmas. The understanding woman who had her appointment was getting her all straightened out and making it understood as she did the proper setup.

Then came a frantic phone call from our #2 in accounting who went against my advice and got a pair of new phones from US Cellular instead of the Apple Store she could have walked to. Frantic because she's flying out for overseas vacation early today. The bumbling fools at US Cellular convinced her Office 365 was not working when they misconfigured her phone. The Apple employee was savvy to my trying to help her and looked to see if she could make an appointment. It was an easy fix but underscored what Getbent said about people getting help and what I tried to say about where to get it.

For the last bit I know our near by Verizon corporate store is aware of the reliability 150 million Office 365 users have. Our accounting manager wasted time, had undue stress, and lost the discounts she could have had with the Apple Business Team.

My mother is getting near 90 and is 45 mi from an Apple Store. She often comments on how impressed she is with their Support app. She starts help via the app or a phone call, waits a short bit and usually everything's fine. On occasion they arrange a time slot for her at the store when appropriate. At that late age my mother still does hospice work and uses the Apple features to help people. A friend with an autistic child who is now an adult has him set up with the Apple architecture. The Apple staff seem to understand the scenario of my nearly 90 y.o. mom and my friend's kid. They not only get the understanding themselves but the understanding from Apple. I think that's seriously cool.

Good luck to Chatnoir and lammie200, and with 30 years of IT admin I say good luck to finding someone who does support better than Apple (and Microsoft) outside of what I get with true enterprise class stuff.

:)

awasson and lammie200 like this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I still use a 5. Had a 4 for almost 8 years...

NEVER ever in your life under no circumstances no matter what update IOS. That's the only secret with Apple phones... DON'T update

13. imwjl

And what data supports that?

Updates are the proven method for how we (where I work and I'm sure most all IT admin) maintain reliability, security, add new capabilities and get a good lifecycle out of the products. Many individuals will talk about their feelings or anecdotal stuff but we have this stuff at scale across sites, business units and in the c suite. What we do is audited.

The latest Apple mobile OS has been like a shot of espresso and booze both. All the user input and benchmarking show things are faster and happier. The latest updates and battery program let us keep using phones and iPads we thought would have been done.

Personally, the latest update improved modem performance when I travel and made my wrist watch an FDA approved medical device. I'm not doing multiple lines on same phone but that is really big for some associates.

awasson likes this.
  14. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

That method is still a possibility, but we want her to have her own account. I didn't do anything last night, but I will have more time over the weekend. I bought a new one for myself at that price - 128MB, too. It was difficult to show my daughter that I got a new one and she got an old one, especially since Netflix won't work on hers anymore. And I hear you about Apple store support but I don't have much free time to go to one.

15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Really?

Not in my Apples mate

16. awasson

That's been my experience too but what the heck do I know :rolleyes:

17. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Well, just got back from Costco. I bought the S9 Galaxy plus after spending two hours at Best Buy returning the iPhone. Praying for a better experience. Honestly, if I wasn't working and didn't next instant email contact and text, I'd get a flip phone.

18. getbent

Good luck! Prayer has a long history!

19. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

True that! I don't watch Netflix on my Smartphone, I don't shop, don't do banking on it or pay bills, it's mainly for texting, calls and working the features on my digital hearing aids which now use an app on the smartphones, and the camera. Now I just have to get comfortable using it.

20. imwjl

The Samsung hardware is high quality but the company's transition to iPhones addressed "better experience". With around 750 employees using smart phones for their scheduling and HR app I see they work well for personal use. One of the ugly Android problems has been phone and carrier combinations that didn't get post-sale support or patches. The latter's not a problem with first tier products and carriers but not everyone goes that route.

I'm an Alphabet stockholder so I appreciate the Android purchases too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.