Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone got an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chatnoir, Jan 9, 2019.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    I have a 6 and it works great. I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

awasson likes this.
  2. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Weird
    My iPhone mail is my gmail it’s always been completely synchronized with my computer’s gmail or other devices. Maybe I am lucky or someone knew of a hack and they fixed it

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this thread is littered with folks who don't realize that they need more help than they seek. The OP needs an all hands on deck visit at the cell provider's place to show him his phone, sit with him while he watches videos and answers all the questions he can think of AND a contact person for 'after care'....

One of the great challenges is when people think they can do stuff that they just can't and they think it should 'just work' even when they cannot conceptually grasp what is going on....

The more 'sure' people are... the more they convince me of this.

stevemc, coldengray, awasson and 2 others like this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    I don't know about the OP's Peabody, MA location but in my area his Best Buy point of purchase is rarely the best place for knowing you get truly qualified help. IIRC, Peabody is north side of or north of Boston area so an Apple Store should be doable.

I'm not sure I said this earlier but the Apple Store appointment system is important. That guarantees you get someone qualified for your issue and the slice of time that's appropriate. The Apple Stores near me are usually too busy for walk in support. Even with the Business Team red carpet service I get a support or fix needs an appointment.

Another choice is an authorized for repair and support Apple franchise. They have the same tools, diagnostics and certifications. Maybe it's being in a "college town" but the two independents in my area are very good. I'm spoiled to have Apple Store about 1.5 blocks from HQ and my data center.

awasson likes this.
  5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I have a 6s, with no plans to upgrade...my previous network provider’s locked the IMEI #, trying to extort an outrageous local calling bill, going 40 minutes over, on a local call. My plans are to use an inexpensive burner phone, (changing both phone # & provider), for calls, using my iPhone with Wi-Fi & perhaps Bluetooth. This unscrupulous company will screw my credit rating until I pay up... :mad:

6. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    The issue is that the Netflix app worked fine until I reset the device for my daughter to use it. Once the device was reset the app won't load because OS 10 can't be updated to OS 11. Netflix only offers the app for the latest OS. Sorry, but that is plain wrong. They can very easily provide older devices with the same access to apps that worked on them previously. Especially something that is an entertainment app like Netflix. So your statement about developing new software for old devices is specious. And if I had a Windows 7 machine I would expect that it may eventually crap out, but until then I would expect that the application software that I bought the licenses to use should still work. Oh, and I have seen work arounds. They suck. A regular user like myself cannot create multiple logins on an Ipad, so I can't go back to my history of the Netflix app and have it retained for my daughter's login when it is reset for her. If I knew this would be an issue I would have never reset it for her to begin with.

7. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
    I tried that on my iPhone SE and it didn't work so I googled it. On the SE you have to press the on/off button five times for the SOS option to come up. I learned something new today, that's enough.

8. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    See the above.

9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yep. It’s iphone 8 and up.

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    What I see in this thread are a lot of reaponses that didn’t actually consider the OP’s problem... but offered a solution nonetheless.

coldengray and getbent like this.
  11. getbent

"They can very easily provide older devices with the same access to apps that worked on them previously"

Why are you so certain of this?

coldengray, awasson and imwjl like this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    The phase out of support for 32 bit apps (Apple) was a few years running. I'm quite sure the line is drawn for Google (Android) this summer. Even if it were easy I don't think it would be judicious to develop and support products without a sustainable market.

Microsoft does extended support for some products. I recall seeing that price where I have to keep an old application available. It was $30ish a CAL per year and moves to $76 this ear. I really doubt the Netflix users want to eat such costs when then could buy a much better or at least faster iPad for a few times that.

awasson likes this.
  13. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Because the only thing that prevented it from working was resetting the device. What makes you so certain otherwise? Let me put it this way. Your computer crashes and needs to be restored. You restore it and now you have to buy new programs because your old ones won't work. You're OK with that?

It's an Ipad 4, btw. The OS is 10.3.3. last updated on July 19th, 2017. So 1-1/2 years away and it is obsolete.

14. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    It was already developed. And I don't know much, but the app seems like it is just a portal to their mobile based platform.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Right so after you reset the ipad for your daughter, Apple kept it running as an ipad, but you needed to reload the Netflix app.
    It's Netflix that now provides an app that only works with newer devices, and refuses to provide you with the old app that works with your older ipad.
    Apple will provide you with any older apple software you need to keep your older ipad running, but Apple will not supply Netfix apps because Netfilx is the provider, and Netflix will not give you the old app that you lost when you reset the ipad.

AFAIK when you reset you get the old Apple stuff, but not any aftermarket stuff you had installed. If that is not available any more, Apple isn't really at fault.

I'd be pretty pissed at Netflix though!

coldengray and awasson like this.
  16. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    You are right. I am pissed at Apple for other things though. One is the jack on my iPhone 6S. Sometimes wants to take the charge cable, sometimes doesn't. Another is the fact that you cannot set up an Ipad with multiple user accounts. At least not that I am aware of.

17. getbent

lets go in order:
    Because the only thing that prevented it from working was resetting the device
    I think go back and look you didn't just reset the device, right?
    Did you ever back the device up? If yes, you can restore to that back up and be in precisely the spot you were in.

What makes you so certain otherwise?
    Nothing in my question implied or stated that I'm sure of anything. You seemed certain that the solution was easy and doable, I wondered if you knew that or if you presumed it.

Let me put it this way. Your computer crashes and needs to be restored. You restore it and now you have to buy new programs because your old ones won't work.
    If you restore your computer to the system OS it shipped with and the original applications (I do this, I snapshot my devices so I can go back to OEM) they may or may not work depending on the relationships the app builders have for provision of support. There are a lot of dependencies between hardware, operating systems, applications, providers and back end services.

You changed how you wanted to use the device and changed your 'working' config. When you did so, it stopped being set up the way it was. Netflix changed how their app works and probably (I do not know this, but I strongly suspect) how they deliver the content and a few other things 'behind the curtain' which renders the old app no bueno.

It probably was set to work in the old config with the old settings, but when you change them, you have to use the new tools to have the 'new' stuff. This happens with products, the biggest fail and greatest success with a normal, physical product was 'new coke'... it caused such an outcry and had people so frustrated and angry, Coke had to release 'classic'. Whether or not it was a mistake has always been a question.. out of the debacle sales for coke and coke product soared.

If you have been backing up your ipad to your itunes account (either on your mac or pc or in the cloud) you will have iterative backups that you can select and go back in time to a known backup that worked... if you never backed up the machine... well, it is a valuable lesson all users should learn... that there are a lot of dependencies and interactions on something like a computer or ipad... the different organizations are not all working to the same end and if they are to remain competitive, they have to keep improving their products to stay popular.... old hardware does not run the new stuff as well as the new stuff runs on new hardware and being forced to look back means you aren't looking ahead.

With all devices, you have to pay attention to this or you can get bit. I'm curious, how much would the new app cost you in US Dollars?

not being able to set up multiple accts was never promised, in fact, if you asked them, they'd say 'that is not an intended use of the device'.... buying a device when they clearly state that it does not support that function and then being angry that it does not have that function is a recipe for unhappiness....

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Get an old Nokia with the push buttons. Best mobiles ever made imo.
    Forget about internet or touch screens, its more hassle than it's worth and they break all the time.

I've been given 2 iPhones and I refuse to use them. I have a Samsung galaxy and broke the screen in less than 48 hours. I disabled internet on it immediately but still wish I had my old Nokia with real buttons. I started with a Motorola Brick back in around 94 and have had most phones. The nokias have been the best by far. Drop proof, small, one handed operation including texts and easy to use.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  19. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    The device is backed up. It doesn't help because to restore one of my back ups I would have to set it back to be my device, not my daughter's.

The app is free. (Which is puzzling because it is obvious that the app is meant to spur on paid memberships. Can't get the app on an 18 month old operating system. Hence, I should cancel my membership.)

You can set them up for multiple users, but you need a server to do so. What is the iCloud, if not a server?

A possible work around is to set up an iTunes account for my daughter on my PC and download the app there. Then she can pick it up on her Ipad as one of her "purchased" apps. I haven't tried that yet, but I am expecting to run into difficulties. I think that I read somewhere that the latest iTunes version won't support that type of operation.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Actually this ^

I assume @lammie200 reset the ipad to give his daughter under her apple ID, which means that she didn't get any backup restoration.
    Swap it back to the prior apple ID and icloud should contain the old Netflix app to reinstall.
    Worth a try anyhow...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.