Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone got an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chatnoir, Jan 9, 2019.

1. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I have an 8. It’s my third iPhone. I’ve had one for probably over 10 years and never turned one off.

I’ve never had a problem either. The one thing that I do is check online as my phones age (like 4-5 years) and watch for user complaints regarding issues with OS updates on older phones. When they begin to show up, I wait for a further update or decide it’s replacement time.

Just don’t turn it off and don’t get advice from Best Buy. You can Google everything you need to know about it.

awasson likes this.
  2. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Jul 27, 2018
    California
    I have an iPhone XS and think Apple makes the best phones. Too much snooping with Google.

I have Do Not Disturb set except family members can call. I would buy at Apple store as they are very helpful. Especially Waikiki Store. :). You can sit at a table and you can transfer all your iCloud data to your new phone.

awasson likes this.
  3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
  4. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    what you think is an issue is a feature, it allows you to make an emergency call if you are locked out of you phone for some reason.

as others have said, Goggle b your friend.

awasson and Wildcard_35 like this.
  5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've had many iPhones - I have an 8 now.

I've been told that the SOS/911 feature is on that screen so that anyone who powers the phone on or off can dial 911 in the case of an emergency.

It would be sad if I had a heart attack and a kid at a mall couldn't dial 911 on my phone because of a lock screen. I think it makes sense. If you don't need 911 then don't touch that slide bar. I hope that you never do need 911.

The freaky think to me is that no one at your cellular provider was informed enough to explain something so basic. It's not only basic but it's safety info. Who is your cell provider?

Mike Simpson, awasson and imwjl like this.
  6. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    The normal "turn off your phone" mechanism doesn't even completely restart the OS on an iPhone.. IIRC it does some sort of hibernation/suspend state.

The only time to ever do any of this is if something is wrong with the phone.

You should configure Do not Disturb to come on when you're going to sleep... than family members etc.. (people you put in the Favorites in Contacts) can still contact you but everyone else is blocked.

As someone else said spam email problems have nothing to do with shutting your phone down.

I have an 8+ (the bigger screen one), I don't actually get the same SOS/Emergency screen shown.. mine looks a little different.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I only see the SOS on deactivated phones.

They put that there so y ou can use old ones for emerg and keep your new one.

8. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    noitacoL
    If you hold the power button for longer than 5 seconds it auto initiates the police bar

9. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    All I can tell you is that I would get emails on my phone that I wouldn't get on any of my other devices that had no content. If I cycled the phone off and on they would go away. Maybe an update eventually fixed that and cycling the phone off and on wouldn't make a difference now - I don't know. I don't work for Apple and I don't design or fix mobile devices. I was stating my experience.

https://appletoolbox.com/2018/05/how-to-fix-this-message-has-no-content-in-iphone-mail-app/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7977199

10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
  11. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2011
    Albany,NY
    Today’s phones are computers. You should clean up and re-boot weekly which avoids “glitches “. I’ve only had iPhones since they became available and have never (knock on wood) had issues.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    My observation is you very different worlds of support if you go to Apple Store as mentioned earlier or a corporate owned Verizon or AT&T store.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hmmm.
    Just got the phone.
    Keep turning it off.
    Upset by normal screen messages.
    Bought it at Best Buy.

Yeah that sounds about right!
    When my iphone upsets me I call or go the Apple.
    They usually help.

WRT shutting them off, I've been more often told I don't need to shut it off but now and then hear it's good to shut it off every now and then, though the benefits of shutting it off can be gotten in settings.

There are so many things that tiny little computer does, and one needs to learn the operations in order to get best function from it.

I did buy one of my iphones at best buy because Apple was sold out.
    I do not go there for support.

awasson likes this.
  14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I couldn’t agree more. The folks at the Apple Store are the ones you want to talk to if you want the straight goods on the products and features. Best Buy is there for the convenience of getting a product they have in stock but the folks there just aren’t informed the way the Apple folks are. Go see the people at the Apple store and you get the answers in a single visit.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'll add that you can talk to Apple support on the phone as well, google and log on to apple support, go through the help options, request a call and they will call you in a few minutes.
    I've found them to be the easiest to deal with customer support of any products I've needed help with, and they don't seem to get impatient if I'm slow grasping something. I've had a couple of reps in store that got a little impatient with me, but never to the point where it impeded my getting helped.

16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    iPhones are the work of the devil.

17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    So how'd that trip to Best Buy go?

darren7 likes this.
  18. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    The latest Apple scam that I am dealing with is an Ipad on OS 10. Can't download the Netflix app after I reset the Ipad to give to my daughter for Xmas. I mean Apple can't really work with Netflix on older compatibility? There is your BS.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Obsolescence is an issue I deal with across several platforms. It might only be a scam if you are prone to believing conspiracies. It's not a fight I'm picking except to have things work well because most (customers and developers) want newer and more capable architecture. Will you be as upset when Windows 7 moves to history in a year? What about this summer's date for a 32 bit to 64 bit Android world?

It's not Apple's job to work with Netflix. Nor is it Google's or Microsoft's in the way I perceive your issue. I'm not sure there's much of a market for developing new software for old platforms if any in the tablet world like some other computer software lived on.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    If old Apple OS doesn't work with new Netflix app, what changed?
    How could Apple block the Netflix app from working in an old iapd?
    Isn't that a problem with Netflix making the newest app not compatible with old ipads?

This seems to happen with lots of old devices that can't run new applications.
    Not sure Apple is the cause of this, though I suppose there could be a general all-IT conspiracy, like OPEC.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.