Anyone got an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chatnoir, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

I just got the iPhone 8 plus and activated it tonight as it arrived today via UPS. Whenever I turn it off, I see EMERGENCY SOS. I mentioned this to the woman over the phone that I dealt with at Best Buy. She's not tech support so she doesn't know. Why am I seeing that? Anyone?

2. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I had two and upgraded to android phones

Sconnie and Salsg like this.
  3. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Heading to the store tomorrow. Not happy....

4. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

You actually shouldn't need to turn it off very often (unless it starts acting funny).

I'm guessing when you are turning it off you are probably hitting one of the volume buttons at the same time as the side on/off. That pulls up the Emergency SOS slider when you hit that button combo.

stefanhotrod, koen, darren7 and 4 others like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've had both and prefer Android, clearer and simpler to use, IMHO.

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

7. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

This is what I'm seeing when I turn it off, but not the medical part. Why would the SOS appear and I didn't call an emergency number? The only thing I notice is it's not really loud, the speakerphone, and not clear how to raise it more. I'm hearing impaired so hearing is vital. I have the volume raised but it's just not happening.

ios12-iphone-x-power-off-screen-sos.jpg

fendrguitplayr and 2blue2 like this.
  8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Nope.

:)

9. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's a safety feature you can use to call for help. You don't have to use it if you don't need.

10. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Afflicted

I turn my phone off maaaaybeeee, once a month:)

DonM, darren7, awasson and 1 other person like this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

@Chatnoir

This is exactly what you're doing:

When you turn your phone off, make sure you are only pressing the button on the right side of the screen, which is the sleep/off button. The buttons on the left side of the screen are volume up/down. If you press the off button (right side) and one of the volume buttons (left side) at the same time... it prompts you with the SOS option.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus too. Love it. Best phone I've ever had.

micpoc, El Tele Lobo, Ekko and 2 others like this.
  12. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I believe that it may be beneficial to turn the phone off every few days. I have a 6 now, but had a 4 previously. I would get a lot of blank emails with no subject lines if the 4 was left on without turning it off occasionally. I have gotten them a few times on the 6. I was told by an Apple guru that turning the phone off occasionally stops the propagation. It did for me.

13. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a new iPhone 8 plus which I bought last summer. Sometimes, when I get a text, I can't answer it. I'm taking it back to Telus (I bought it at Best Buy, a Telus dealer) next time I'm in the city. I've always been an iPhone guy though.

14. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I’d say update your OS to the latest version and don’t turn your phone off...if you don’t want to get calls in the middle of the night just activate the “do not disturb feature”. With this active, the only calls you can receive are the people in your favorites list...mine is active between 10pm and 10am and the wife and kids are the only ones who can call me during those hours...it helps for a peaceful nights sleep...

15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

BS.
    The mail will wait in the ether and download on your phone as soon as you turn it on.
    Has nothing to do with having the phone on or off. It’s sent to your email address not your phone number
    Haven’t turned my phone off for 6 years.

16. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Exactly.

Also, I’ve never turned my phone off except in movie theatres and on the occasional flight. Otherwise, it stays on.

Skamania and Ekko like this.
  17. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

You should turn your phone off every night.
    Then nobody can wake you and you will get a good nights sleep.

18. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Yes. And if I could choose I’d shut if off and keep it off so I could play guitar all day without beeing disturbed.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, that's it. An Apple Watch has the same. A newer watch adds fall protection.

My suggestion would be stay away from Best Buy for any form of support for Apple products and find an Apple Store or use their own content for training & help. If your purchase includes Apple Care you have high levels of quality help anywhere. Installing the Support and store apps help. You can initiate support and chat or get a call right from the phone.

I say this about Best Buy because we have hundreds of employees and some of their personal problems end up in company IT. Over and over I've seen Best Buy sell their own support or sell versions of support that are not in same league as Apple's. They can have some great staff and poorly qualified staff opposed to the Apple retail staff having consistency and training.

On the support & safety topic, you should also be aware of the Find Friends app. We use that to aid the independence and safety of family elders and our kids.

Spend a little time with the Tips app as another fast and easy way to up your knowledge.

I need to support and know several hardware and software platforms and think it is important for people to know the iPhone purchase can be a lot more than getting a new phone.

awasson and Skamania like this.
  20. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The reason you get the Emergency SOS is that in the event of an emergency, you can still call out even if your phone is turned off; you don't have to wait for your phone to boot up.

I have a phone with no SIM card that I use on Wi-Fi at the house. I can still make Emergency SOS calls on it. It's a safety requirement.

As far as my main phone is concerned, I never turn it off. I do, occasionally reboot it.

sjruvolo and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.