Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone got a mahogony telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Quinn23, Jan 10, 2018.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Ha ha, yeah I'm a budget buyer. ;)

But this model uses the same US made pickups, electronics, and saddle lock bridge as the USA series does so for 1/3 the price of a similar used USA w/gig bag to me it was a screaming bargain. Country of origin means nothing to me. I have Chinese, Indonesia, Mexican, and US models and they're all the same to me. All are great players.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    ricardo1912, BB and BigDaddyLH like this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree! When the model has an in-house pickup, they're the same on Tributes.

soulman969 likes this.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I have a custom build that ms a chambered mahogany body with a lacewood top. Neck is maple with an ebony board. I haven't seen it in a few years. It sits in the case. It plays like greased lightning, but I have never been able to find the right pickups for it. Thinking of routing it for hummies or filtertrons. I've tried everything single coil sized.

soulman969 and Quinn23 like this.

4. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    Thanks for replies, I saw an advert for a mahogony body, that had a carved top, which is kind of weird, as it would probably need a stop bar and tune o matic, (even tho it' pre drilled with string thru holes) then, I thought, a mahogony neck, which is hard to get hold of here...
    I wondered how weird a carved top tele shape would look with a 3 a side headstock mahogony neck. And since I asked, ive been outbid on the body I was looking at... so it probably won't happen now..

5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I have a spalted maple tele, Fender, from Indonesia. Mahogany body and neck, with veneered top. The body is mildly carved, flat where the bridge and pickups are located. Could have a traditionalal tele bridge, except it's routed for humbuckers.

I like it. Still looking for a pickup that makes it sound as rich as it does unplugged.

6. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    My mahogany tele is an Edenhaus body with a Fender bullet neck. Not your typical tele with a homemade copper pickguard, Seymour Duncan JB full size humbucker in the bridge and a Antiquity P90 in the neck. Sounds fabulous. My favorite tele partscasters and guitar builds are my black korina bodies which sound better than mahogany IMO.

Mincer likes this.

7. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2010
    Louisville,KY
    I've had two over the years. The first one I had was a thinline model that came out of Fender's custom shop. It was a beautiful guitar with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It sounded great but I did not like the way it played. To me the neck felt like the big end of a baseball bat, the other I had was a solid mahogany body ,flame maple neck with rosewood fretboard,3 pups, and a b-bender,it was built for me by Allan Manship . I ended up swapping it back to him for my original Manship b-bender Telecaster. My self I like mahogany bodied guitars ,especially on acoustics. My Guild D17M has a mahogany body and tonewise it has it all over the Gibson J200 I have.

8. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    [​IMG]
    I have an ASAT Special Tribute too, mahogany body.

Great axe, but not your average tele- the jumbo MFD are fatter sounding. Great axe, hangs in well in my stable compared to my Vigier Expert, LP standard or SG 70s Tribute.

The pick ups are fantastic. Really great tones. Snappy fat low end, smooth highs. Great axe.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm confused by this post.

We know, for example, that not all Corona Fender pickups made in house, are of equal measure.

By what means would we know that the pickups that Fullerton ships to Indonesia, are precisely the same as the ones they use in the USA models?

Btw, the overseas contractor that makes bridges for G + L makes different grades of bridge. In some instances the potting material is not the same and in other instances, less expensive hardware is specified. This stuff is "build to cost" and while sometimes the contractor offers Lagniappe, in other cases the plating, etc., appears different to my eyes. Even if the product is shipped from the same source.

10. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    Sort of. My 2xP90 partscaster has a Marc Rutter's spanish cedar body. In the mahogany family (I think). Described by some as being equivalent to the relatively lighter weight Honduran mahogany that was so easily available in the 50s and 60s. Whatever the claims, it is indeed a light and very resonant body. A perfect match for P90s.
    MD

11. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Back at the end of high school I made a Tele style body in wood shop (which evolved into the instrument I'll attach a photo of below when I gigged it at my Dad's request - I gifted it to my father years ago, and still maintain and update it to this day).
    It was made using mahogany (that's what was available to me in the shop, as it happened).

It's got a fascinating character to it; because of the method of construction, and the hardware I used and such, it definitely has a Telecaster flavour to it... but there's this added mid-range 'grunt' that's a bit more strident than my various Teles made from ash, alder and basswood, and others I've test-driven.
    I like it; I'd seriously consider getting a custom body done with a nice light cut of mahogany (this one is pretty heavy) for myself some day...

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Omg. Jakedog, if that was mine I'd do the surgery and plant a set of Pearley Gates in there, no hesitation at all. I'm good with chisel and mallet, so I'd just tap it out. Should be a winner.

13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    Lots of mahogany on this one.

Fender Special Edition FMT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Had. Lost. Miss.

20140105_102211.jpg

BigDaddyLH likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.