Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone got a mahogony telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Quinn23, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Quinn23

Quinn23 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    I'm interested in hearing anyone's opinions. Thanks.

2. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got a Squier Thinline with a mahogany body, but that may not be the opinion you are after. If so, I like it.

Quinn23 likes this.

3. revellfa

revellfa TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Lavale, Md.
    Same as above. I love mine too. Sounds good unplugged as well. Snappy and twangy

Quinn23 likes this.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Mahogany Thinline. Little warmer than ash maybe] but still Telecaster

FB_IMG_1508029906521.jpg

Quinn23 and Crobbins like this.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My Tele is ash body, big fat mahogany neck....and I'm very happy with it. I would LOVE to try a mahogany body and neck combo....like an old LP Jr.

Quinn23 likes this.

6. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    I have a Japanese Thinline with a mahogany body and maple neck, it sounds great, nice and light too.

Quinn23 likes this.

7. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I've got an unfinished solid body tele and strat. Maybe it will be my next build. I need to get rid of some guitars first.

Quinn23 likes this.

8. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Chambered mahogany body Tele here. From USAC 15 years ago. My all time favorite telecaster by far. Light weight, balanced and toneful.

Quinn23 likes this.

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Mine has a custom 1-piece mahogany body with an American Tele neck, rosewood finger board and BK P-90's. It weighs 9lb 9oz. I've had it almost 9 years and didn't weigh it until a couple of weeks ago to find that only my Les Paul (plus Bigsby) was heavier by 1 oz.

It's a tank, and I wouldn't say it's 'warm' or anything like that, but I do believe its heft lets me hear exactly what the pickups are doing, if that makes any sense, and that it is good!

Quinn23 likes this.

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Yep, hog body from Rockaudio, with Nocaster wiring. The wiring is wonky, I think, since the "dark" circuit doesn't seem to be any different than the normal one.

It is pretty loud unamplified...never thought about it before reading some posts in this thread.

I don't want to use silly, meaningless tone words, but it retains the sharp attack of my paulownia Tele, but mellows out at the notes ring out...not in a quiet way, but man, my paulownia Tele is BRIGHT...my hog Tele is just a touch more subdued, but that may have more to do with the wiring than the wood.

I like it... I'd build one again.

edit:
    pictured here http://www.tdpri.com/threads/black-guitars-post-yours-here.703813/page-8#post-8081687

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Quinn23 likes this.

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, but it's a 2013 Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe with two MP90 pickups, so it's gonna sound pretty different from the average Telecaster.

Quinn23 likes this.

12. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    See avatar above-left.
    Sortacaster built by Mark Arnquist.
    Cherry red lacquer inspired by my over-the-top desire for a SG from a certain vintage.
    Neck, however, distinctly NOT Gibbo-fragile; it's one of Warmoth's maple/maple boats, and I am happy w/ it.

Mahogany body - oh, yeah, baby.
    Go for it.
    Peace - Deeve

Quinn23 likes this.

13. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    I think the US 69RIs from a few years ago were mahogany also but they didnt build them long 2012-13 perhaps.

Quinn23 likes this.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    G&L ASAT Special. The MFD pickups are a bit bolder than typical Tele single coils but overall it's still in the same tonal realm as a Tele. It's one of my favorites so it's gets a lot of use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Quinn23, Crobbins, TMMC and 1 other person like this.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice! Was mahogany a special run?

16. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    There is a MIA mahogany Tele that was part of the Telebration series circa 2011/22.

Quinn23 and MahoganyStratDZ like this.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yup, I do...

My Logan Custom mahogany tele, custom made for me by Bob Logan in July of 2008. The body is solid mahogany, and weighs 9.2 lbs. It has a Birdseye maple neck & board with amber tinting, gold hardware, a P-90 neck pickup and a vintage style tele bridge pup. When I first got it nearly a decade ago, I wasn't overly concerned about weight; I didn't mind having this slung over my shoulder for the length of a set. But now I'm ten years older, and my health took a downturn in the last few years, so I feel the weight more these days. Also, it's got a switch problem that I haven't gotten around to taking care of, so I haven't gigged with it in quite a while. I've got a total of five Logan Custom guitars now, so that isn't a problem.

It's a resonant guitar, and has great sustain. I can get a lot of warm tones out of it, but it can also growl. (I'm sure the P-90 pup has as much to do with that as the tone wood does.)

Ricky D., Fiesta Red, Quinn23 and 4 others like this.

18. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Yup. I call it "Les Paul Junior".

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Actually no. The stock Blueburst models are swamp ash and the Sunbursts are mahogany. I think it's actually the only mahogany body they offer in the ASAT Tribute Series. Most are either swamp ash or basswood.

Edit: The ASAT Jr. is also mahogany but with P90s and a Gibby type bridge.

Quinn23 likes this.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Ah, Tribute!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.