Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone Ever Used Keeley Memphis Sun Pedal ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by msmith886, Mar 12, 2016.

1. msmith886

msmith886 TDPRI Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Alabama
    Anyone out there ever used a Keeley Memphis Sun pedal ? Just got one and not sure what to think.

Anyone got any pointers or tricks with them as far as settings and getting old country tone and Slap back etc

2. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2015
    Missouri
    Check out the ProGuitarShopDemos video of it on YouTube.

3. msmith886

msmith886 TDPRI Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Alabama
    It's a pretty new pedal sounds totally different from videos I've seen or either I'm doing something very wrong with it

4. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2015
    Missouri
    Sorry to hear that :(
    I've been wanting one of those pedals,but really haven't saved up to pull the trigger on it.
    Maybe the pedal is interacting bad with your current gear set up...

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Yep, what guitar, pedals, amps/speakers you using with it? I've kinda been jonesing for one of those as well.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Where is telefunken when you need him?

7. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Man, I'm kinda surprised you don't have more responses. I'm excited about this pedal. Its probably #1 one on my wish list. Love the demos. Hope you find a happy ground with your rig and settings. Best of luck to you.

I would love to hear more comments and impressions on this one.

8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Pretty sure Ruger9 put one through its paces, maybe he'll chime in?

BorderRadio likes this.

9. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2015
    Missouri
    I asked telefunken about this pedal.At the time he hadn't bought one and said it was low on his list because he's more into dirt pedals.

10. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    I'd love to hear more too. It's on my wish list.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    WHAT?! Say it's not so.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I think there are two versions of this pedal. Ruger9 didn't like the original. Keeley made some changes, so I would like to know if he has played the updated version.

13. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Subscribed.

Oh, and I thought Telefunken owned ALL Keeley's pedals. He builds more than dirt, right?

14. TheVel

TheVel Tele-Meister

Apr 9, 2015
    Missouri
    Lol!Im sure at some point telefunken will own all the Keeley pedals

15. FredJr

FredJr Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2004
    Prospect, CT
    I had one - hated the reverb because it sounded buzzy when the guitar was muted and was useless for surf music. I wanted a combo reverb / delay pedal and had high hopes for this one. The double track "feature" did nothing for me, lot of money to pay for a slap back echo.

I watched Mike Herman's demo and of course it sounds superb for what he was doing, just like the Mojo Hand DMBL and Rook I THOUGHT I wanted. I realized that it was because I was listening to several recorded tracks and the settings were constantly changing.

I started keeping track of his settings but I realized that if I have to write settings down I know the pedal is no good for my use. I want to be able to set it up easily and have it sound good thru the range of the dials.

This rant is NOT a reflection on these pedals but mainly that they did not work for me because they were too fussy or disappointed on the narrowness of their functionality vs what I wanted to hear.

16. davey77

davey77 Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2010
    Corona
    I had one, and for what it's supposed to do its good for that slapback echo type delay, but I like to have some grit to my tone and the Memphis sounded horrible with any kind of gain added. Clean it sounded good but the reverb does suck too.

17. Laservampire

Laservampire Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Australia
    I was totally hyped for this one and it was super disappointing. Too much high end roll off on the repeats and the reverbs sounded fake as.

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    This may be a zombie thread, but I'm sort of glad to hear this as I was down to this or the Nocturne Mystery Brain. I wound up going with the Nocturne but that doubt always lingered because of the cost difference.
    It's a great pedal btw.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    BorderRadio likes this.

19. Laservampire

Laservampire Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Australia
    You made the right choice!

I'm considering going the whole hog and buying a Strymon Deco for my slapback needs....

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    The Mystery Brain has a fantastic tape echo as well as a preamp that absolutely loves Tele and Filtertron pickups. It somehow both brightens and fattens them up.
    Give it a listen.

Hiker likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.