Anyone ever think of going acoustic-only?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Muddslide, Nov 3, 2013.

1. 8cpk

8cpk Tele-Meister

I think about it all the time. I've only been playing acoustics, haven't been feeling too motivated to play electric guitars lately..
    But even if I decided to give up on electrics I would keep one tele around - you never know.

2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I play mostly acoustic nowadays, but, I am not getting rid of my partscasters.

3. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Currently my band is booked until March with acoustic gigs. It just makes it either to book my band into smaller venues where volume would be a major issue but I would never want to go strictly acoustic permanently. I got too much money wrapped up in amps, electric 6 & 12 string guitars, and effects.

The other issue is we have to tailor our rep list for acoustic since some songs just do not sound good acoustically without some serious re-arranging and practice, which is hard to do when you have limited time with working band-mates.

4. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

At one point in my life I sold all the electric gear and "unplugged". It was a great experience for me and I am still primarily an acoustic player.

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

I am doing it now. Selling off everything except two acoustics.

Jim

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I was 95% acoustic from the time our daughter was born up until when she was 6. I only gig acoustic.

For the last 10 years I am back to 50/50.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I love playing acoustic and the group I'm in is all acoustic, but my heart is in electric blues, so it couldn't happen. After practicing acoustic all summer for public outings, one note plugged in though and I'm back in nirvana.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was in a band up until about 6-7 years ago... when I left the band, sold all my electric gear and actually bought a car with the proceeds. Since then, I've been 90+% acoustic. I periodically go out and get an electric and toy with it, even briefly was looking at getting in another band (fell through), but I'm back now to just an acoustic. I have a very nice amp (Laney Lionheart) that just sits there under its cover getting no use--I suppose I'll eventually sell it since it gets no use now, and isn't likely to going forward. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another electric guitar, unless it's a $100 cheapo screaming hot craigslist deal that I just can't resist.

One issue for me -- to me -- an electric guitar is meant to be played in a band. If I'm not in a band, it seems sort of pointless to own/play electric (just my opinion). An acoustic on the other hand lends itself well to solo porch playing. It's what works for me.

9. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I am myself slipping...slowly, and somewhat sadly...into the all-acoustic relm.

10. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I've gone back and forth a few times and then in 94 when my wife was pregnant with our daughter, I took all of my electric guitars and amps and traded them for a new Taylor 710. With it and my J-45 I was strictly acoustic for almost 19 years. About a year and a half ago I got together with my best friend and we started an electric duo and have been gigging pretty regularly. Lately I've been wanting to do more acoustic stuff so for tomorrow night's gig we're going acoustic. The first time we tried playing unplugged together was last Sunday and every song just worked on acoustic. So now Goat Whiskey is all acoustic, but I won't be getting rid of my teles. They're just going to hang out and wait for another project.

11. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Two words: Bill Frisell

Jim

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I may be just 'going with the flow' (as far as the actual business/gigs that comes my way...), in that even though I'm in an electric R&R/blues etc., band, I have been playing a lot of acoustic guitar in solo/duo gigs this year (I am using a PA), and was just recently given a student-grade classical guitar, which I am totally digging! I don't play classical guitar, but am exploiting the classical's tone, 'playing space' and feel of this guitar-with the wide neck/spacing I can really bring out notes on instrumental fingerstyle melodies I like to play along with singing. New adventure in acoustic playing!

13. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I don't really even consider an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar to be the same instrument so in my mind it is the same as asking if I would consider selling my guitar and focusing on banjo. While a violin and a mandolin note the same, they are not the same judging by the dying cat like noises I make while trying to play a violin. :) I would not think of only playing acoustic.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I played mostly acoustic and resonator guitars using a microphone for the purist acoustic sound for some years. I got really tired of having "sound guys" completely hack the sound. It was ok when we hauled our own PA and did our own sound but we were seriously screwed by "professionsl" sound guys in front of a lot of people. When the sound is lousy no one in the audience (except maybe a couple of other players) think that it's the sound guy. If you are sitting around in your living room or in a quiet coffee shop it is ok. Playing any lead on an acoustic is always weak sounding.

If you have a pickup in your acoustic you are just kidding yourself with a big fat electric guitar that has more feedback and not as good of sound quality. Quacky piezo pickups are the worst sound ever.

I won't be selling my acoustics but I will probably never go back to only acoustic.

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You'll see me skipping jump rope down the street butt naked, singing "Follow The Yellow Brick Road," before I'll give up my electrics.

16. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

For most of the 20 years I played acoustic and have forayed into electric guitars and bass every so often. I even quit altogether for a few years. I have been playing with the Church music ministry on electric for a bit more than two years. If I had to I could pare down to one electric set up and my Taylor. I still may do that if i decide to upgrade to a nicer Acoustic ( Santa Cruz, Martin, higher end Guild/Taylor or a custom build)..

17. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I pretty much started on flattop a hundred years ago & that's been my main thing since. But I go in streaks, playing maybe 95% electric or acoustic for periods of a year or two. Lately it's been flattop. But I'll never get completely outta electric and if somebody says 'bring your Tele' it's game on.

As a guy who spent many years doing mostly solo acoustic & singing it is probably the most natural fit, but man, a cranked Fender is a good thing. I also find the switch from flattop to Tele to be not too tough; they both have a 'guitar feel'.

18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I actually went the opposite direction about the same time that I joined TDPRI. For a while there I was getting into fingerstyle blues, but then I guess my mid-life crisis hit and all I care about these days is rockin' out. :lol: I've hardly touched an acoustic guitar for 3 years.

I expect it to be a phase, though, so I haven't sold any of my acoustics. :D

19. Thermostrat

Thermostrat TDPRI Member

Yep... This is exactly what I did just a few short weeks ago. I sold my American Stratocaster and Marshall tube amp and bought A Taylor 514ce. COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! I've been mostly an acoustic player anyway all my life and it just seemed right. The feeling I feel when I strum and pick a flat top is unparalleled. I'll never buy another electric guitar again. My soul is stitched together with acoustic strings :) Good luck on your path my friend. Follow your heart...

20. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I love the sound of an electric guitar too much to ever get rid of mine, but an interesting thing has happened lately. I put a set of Keystones and a 4 way switch in my favorite Tele. This thing sounds so good it's unbelievable. It is so clean and clear! Just GREAT basic tones that can be taken whatever direction you want with amps/pedals.

Anyway, the clarity and beautiful sounds my Tele now produces have got me playing my acoustics more! I've been listening to classical guitar pieces a lot, and just love the tones I am hearing. I don't have a classical guitar, so I went ahead and bought myself one for Christmas!

So maybe this is just a phase, or maybe this is a direction I'll take for awhile? I don't know. I definitely like a little dirt, but I like clean too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.