Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone ever glue a Tele neck joint?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Blue Bill, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I just had a weird thought...What if you glued neck to the body? Brush on some Titebond, clamp the snot out of it, bolt it nice and tight, let it set up for a couple days. Maybe it would increase sustain. Anyone ever try this?

2. TmyBmore

TmyBmore Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2016
    Baltimore
    I heard Ritchie Blackmore glued his Strat necks. Of course I really don't know if he did. I'm happy with the way they are but will be interested to follow.

3. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2013
    Isle of Wight UK
    My thoughts are that it would be do-able with a few caveats, all surfaces would need to be bare wood and the neck joint would need to be quite tight, I'm planning on doing this on a future build, but without the neck screws.......it will be interesting to see how it goes....

kkphoto likes this.

4. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    My first thought was wondering whether glue, without bolts, would be strong enough. Thinking about it though, a properly glued wood joint is wicked strong and should be fine. Let us know how it works out.

5. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    If you do it, you may want to drill out and dowel the screw holes through the body and neck. I'm not sure there would be much tonal advantage to a glued neck though.

Blue Bill likes this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I think there might be a Murphy's Law phenomena at work: you glue your neck then the next day you see the perfect neck to swap with.

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I've considered it but all my Teles have heel adjusted truss rods.

Mike Simpson likes this.

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Sustain is testable, right?

Test before and after and see if there are any measurable differences.

That's a different question than whether there are any audible differences to a person who's listening.

9. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Ovation Magnum basses - crazy advanced and crazy looking 70's basses - had necks that were both glued and bolted.
    (I don't know if it had any appreciable affect, but I've got one and it sounds great... there it is...)

brookdalebill likes this.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I'm sure you could do it, and do it well. But as someone who traded all but one of his Gibsons for Fenders a few years back, a big selling point of Fender for me was that you got a bolt-on neck.

If you really want maximum sustain, get a neck through. I had an Ibanez Musician with a neck through. It had sustain for days.

11. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I saw some GFS Teles with a set neck. Not sure if they were glued in or not.

12. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Of course, the huge issue is the utter non-reversibility of the experiment. I was hopng somebody already tried it. Even if I knew for sure that it would be awesome and sustain way better, I might not ever try it on one of my Fenders. Yours though...

I like the dowel idea! That would be bomber strong.

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    Roman guitars has a nice write up on set neck vs bolt ons. Basically he says a bad or even average set neck wont sound as good as a bolt on neck. I'm thinking of converting some of my set neck acoustics to bolt on necks.

Bolt ons are easier to referet, and swap out if you want to change scale or whatever. Plus with a set neck you only get once chance to get it right, then you have to debond it with solvents or steam depending on the glue, if you want to fix any problems.

a bolt on with screw inserts in the neck should couple to the body quite well and conduct sound quite well, now if you start shimming it your at the mercy of the sound properties of your shims and how much they reduce or improve contact between all the surfaces in question.

Blue Bill and Dismalhead like this.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've read stories here of folks with great sounding and sustaining Teles, then they remove the neck and find a shim! Maybe it was not so great after all :confused:

Steve Holt, cnlbb and Blue Bill like this.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I would love a bolt-on acoustic.

16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Please dont
    All you will end up with is a tele that you can't swap out the neck on if this should ever be needed/wanted

17. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Here's a solution to the truss rod access: :D

2-4.gif

18. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    Blue Bill likes this.

19. magicfingers99

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    don't that put a crimp in your cowboy chords?

20. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    A fair number of acoustics are bolted on, but they also use a slight bit of glue. All the variations of Godin's acoustic use this method. It's nice as they're easy to steam out and resnug, however in general I do love a good dovetail joint and if you know what you're doing it's not that hard to pull off. The tricky part are the jigs for adjusting tilt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.