Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone else seen a Fender "Double Showman" head?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by archetype, Apr 14, 2018.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Back in the late 60's I went to a classmate's party where they had a friend's high school-aged rock band playing. Their thing was a *wall* of Fender amps and costume changes between sets. These were kids with the full financial backing of wealthy parents who bought them new gear from the local music stores, likely most of it from Arthur's Music in Indianapolis, IN.

One of the guitarists had a Fender BF Showman head with a faceplate that clearly said "Double Showman" and not Dual Showman. A fact, I saw it, unmistakable, no question that it said that. Obviously original and not messed with. I've never seen such a thing documented or discussed anywhere. A prototype or an initial production run before they decided to change the name?

Has anyone else seen one of these in the wild or seen relevant documentation?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    New York
    Ha ! I was going to ask if you meant Dual showman....but you answered that....no I haven't seen a Double Showman....that I know of.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I see you posted and strat talk and squier forums too. If there were such a beast it would be a well-known rarity, and there is nothing around in Google images for it and I didn't see it in any other discussions with my searches. Maybe what you saw was a really really rare creature?

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    They say anyone who remembers the 60's wasn't really there...

jaybones, SacDAve and JustABluesGuy like this.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Could have been a "Serviceman's Copy" while better known for fake Fender guitars there were also amps sold out of many of those shops in the Phillipines, "Double Showman" sounds just like the "close but no cigar" things they often did..

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    That just could be the answer..

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I have seen one on ebay about 4 years ago actually. Like you, I was confused by the listing and asked if he meant "dual showman", but then he added a better picture and it clearly said "double showman". It wasn't anything Fender made, it was by someone else (Korea maybe).

3-Chord-Genius and DougM like this.

8. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Thanks for thinking, everyone. To clarify and fill in what I might not have included...

- '67 at the latest, by the look of it
    - Black tolex
    - Black faceplate
    - "Double Showman" in white script on the faceplate
    - No Presence control, thus a BF circuit and not a '62 or other blonde circuit

100% certain this was a new, off the shelf purchase by parents for a high school kid band. Not a custom order. 90% certain this came from Arthur's Music which is still a Fender dealer in Indianapolis, IN.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Google "Royal" also "Elk" amplifiers. They were Japaneses companies that made amps the looked very much like Fender amps. In fact there is an amp on Reverb right now by Royal called "Band master" for sale. All it would take is to unscrew the original name plate and slap "Fender" on in its place and switch out the knobs.

czbdwh7d1lcsp5tpej6k.jpg

10. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Understood, but unlikely in the case I've described. These were high school kids with parents who just bought the amps.

BTW: One of the ways the Japanese company got away with it is that the channels are reversed on the faceplate. You can't put a Fender faceplate on this, as the tremolo channel is on the left and the regular channel is on the right. It's the opposite on a genuine Fender amp.

11. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Well, I learn something new every day.

The Double Showman was a Fender offering after-all. It was introduced in 1962 and was renamed the "dual showman" in '64. So, you did see a "Double" which was just a "Dual" by another name and they were only produced in 1962-1963. A rare bird, but they sold them according to the Fender catalog.

3-Chord-Genius and JustABluesGuy like this.

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie

13. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Even on a good day our memories are severely flawed.

AlbertaGriff likes this.

14. corliss1

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    From the references I'm seeing people referred to it with that name, but it was never on the faceplate.

radiocaster likes this.

15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    It WAS on the faceplate but for a very short time. Don't see them often but they have no "extra" vintage value. Just sort of a "curiousity version"

BB likes this.

16. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Cool. I'd really love it if someone, some day came up with a picture.

Flakey likes this.

17. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I was thinking the "Fender" brand name replaced the Japaneses manufacture's name.

18. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

Apr 6, 2007
    Toronto
    There's a picture (from Fender Facts #1, Dec '62) on p. 112 of Teagle/Sprung's "Fender Amps - The First Fifty Years." It's blonde and maroon cloth in the picture, with a sideways twin 15 cabinet, tilt back legs, and flat logos. Apparently all '63s were wheat cloth and most '63s had later flat handles.

19. corliss1

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Any chance you could post a picture of part of that page?

20. Here you go.... (my favorite book!) sorry about the crappy pic

20180416_142903.jpg 20180416_142911.jpg

studio and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.