Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone else NOT like Roy Buchanan? :shock:

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by LGOberean, Dec 19, 2014.

1. AumAmps

AumAmps TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Adirondacks, NY
    I dont know if it helped that I was really into jazz before I first heard Buchanan ( I think being a fan of jazz in general helps open your ears) but the first time I heard Buchanan was "The Messiah Will Come Again" and it was like the first time I heard freejazz era Coltrane. Just pure expression put into sound. hairs literally stood up on my neck. A lot of the noises he made on his telecaster were very Coltrane Sheets of Sound.
    It was a similar experience as when i first heard Peter Greens the Supernatural and when I first heard McLauglhin and Al Di Meola. and Ali Farka Toure. and Skip James.
    I dig some of the funk records Roy did in the mid 70s but I cant get into any of the Alligator records releases. I try and try again and feel guilty because im such a fan of the polydor years but they really are different eras.
    my 2 cents

2. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2016
    Colorado
    Yeah, how could you like that. I remember when he died, no internet, read about it in the Denver Post or Rocky Mountain News, he got enough respect to at least hit the national wire services.

I should add that I feel exactly about SRV the way the OP did about Buchanan. I guess we all just react differently.

3. AumAmps

AumAmps TDPRI Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Adirondacks, NY
    How could I like what?
    Buchanans death was sad and still seems without closure. As with Gatton.

4. SubDoc

SubDoc Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Washington state

There is another YT video of him playing "Misty" I can't get to it to post it but it is a similar situation, improvised and where his tone and playing are more restrained, jazzy and clean.

I honestly think that guys like RB and Gatton were expected to be over the top. People like Jeff Beck came to see them because of it. Their talent was their prison.

5. SubDoc

SubDoc Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2014
    Washington state
    The 1st time actually heard him was when my guitar player (I was a drummer) lent me the Polydor release, "Live From Japan" in about 1980. He had come into the record in some complicated way from his brother who was stationed in Japan in the late 70's early 80's. I finally got the CD re-release when it came out years later.

I was already aware of Roy but had never heard him play. We were around Philly and the Jersey shore and he was in the DC area so fairly close. My preferred music was more what is now "classic rock" and Buddy Rich. Buchanan's cover of "Hey Joe" on the Live from Japan album is SO full of tension, the volume swells and pinch harmonics sound like a human scream. I had never heard anything like that. I became a fan and I am still a fan.

I agree his tone can be shrill and I don't love everything he did but wow. No one before or since hit that particular nerve.

6. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

May 18, 2015
    Kentucky
    Roy wasn't a commercial guitar player. He played what he wanted to play and with great feeling and emotion. You either liked what he did or you didn't. I have stolen many licks from Roy, as well as other guitarists. Roy is one of the greatest telecaster players ever in my opinion. He was in his own little world when he played, thats for sure. :)

7. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 TDPRI Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Gaineau, Quebec
    Like others, I didn't care for him when I first heard him, but it didn't take that long for me to come to appreciate his genius. Having said that, I like his covers a lot more than his own output.

8. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    First time I saw him, anticipation was great, w/ "genius" being used in most articles I read. Intimate little club in Ballard - The Backstage.
    BEAMED!
    Blew me out of the club w/ ice-pick wounds!
    In 40+ years of attending shows/concerts, I can remember only TWO acts where I left mid-show.
    (I am embarrassed to admit the other one - "Acoustic Alchemy")
    I really WANTED to like RB but couldn't. Sorry he was unable to hang on and continue to innovate while my listening skills matured.
    Mr Gatton, however, whatta guy!
    Peace - Deeve

9. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    I'm a new fan as of this summer. Sweet dreams is what did it in a big way.

10. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Love Roy and it is hard to see where he ends and his Tele begins. As with anything else I try to focus on the things I like and leave the things I don't behind. Roy and his music will always have a place with me!

11. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    For obvious reasons this topic has attracted a lot of attention. Roy is such an iconic figure in the world of tele players its hard the subject of "liking or not liking his playing" not to be polarizing.

Not everyone is going to like everything, music is so subjective that what may be beautiful for one person is awful for another. I like his playing but I can see why some might find it challenging and not care for it. His tone could border on the harsh and not everyone likes the speedy runs, pinches, squeals and bends.

If you have a second check out this song - a little bluesy and funky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.