Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone else NOT like Roy Buchanan? :shock:

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by LGOberean, Dec 19, 2014.

1. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2014
    Crook County IL
    Without a doubt in my mind, Roy was truly a great player. Some of his stuff I like, some of it I don't. Oddly enough, I spoke with Donald Kinsey last week and had asked him about playing with Roy. Donald was extremely complimentary of Roy and had even become choked up about it. He sincerely liked the man and his guitar playing.

2. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2004
    NW Atlanta
    Did you ever notice that you never saw Andy Kaufman and Roy Buchanan at the same place at the same time?

Alter egos...???

Just sayin'...:D

3. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 27, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    This pretty much nails it for me. I love the sound of a Tele. I love good playing. I can certainly respect technique, as well as innovation. I love staying with the basic sound (not a lot of effects.) And I keep wanting to like Roy. But it all has to be in service of something... the song, the feeling.

And Roy could do it. Whatever his voice. I have a version of Down By The River (Live) that has been in rotation on my old iPod for 10 years or so. I always love the beginning, then somewhere after the first verse somewhere into the solo I get bored and irritated and reject it for something less technique centered.

4. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2003
    That's the one. I don't care for a lot of the blues stylings and the "freak out" runs up the neck, but I love his country style playing and the beautiful sounds on Dual Soliloquy. This one is also nice:

5. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

Apr 11, 2003
    Sacratomato
    I had the same experience with beer, not quite at age 14, but a little later. I thought it tasted terrible. However, I DID acquire a taste for it later.:D

6. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    Two Alligator CDs were my introduction to Roy. After that I bought some of his older stuff, and I liked the tone on the Alligator releases better. The pictures showed him with a Les Paul.

7. Matthew Leo

Matthew Leo TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Maine
    I can't get into Roy either. I see why people like him, but it just doesn't work for me. I like Gatton, though. He was far more musical, versatile and exciting. Roy was depressing and uncomfortable.

8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    This is one I always listen to, I think Roy's playing on this is at once understated and unique. His tone is actually pretty good on this one too.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

And there are so many performers IMO that are like this. I've seen so many shows, fantastic performers down here in New Orleans and it almost seems like the rare instance when one of these kinds of locals can execute a great record.

Even stranger, we've had tremendous success with Dave Bartholomew and Cosimo Matassa and Allen Toussaint and others, finding ways of producing incredible records from people who were often indifferent when they played live. Or couldn't be bothered to play out much, because the pay was so crummy.

I guess the Cynical summary to make of all of this is, Roy needed to stay alive and keep performing longer. Not enough of the guys here have seen him play - I get the feeling there's a lot about this guy I just do not know.

10. dkpw

dkpw TDPRI Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Scotland
    We in the UK generally think Americans don't do irony. I was wrong.

11. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Tom is clearly Special. At least, he thinks so...

12. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the dry, droll and oh so right on comment!

13. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2009
    intarnets
    Yeah, Live Stock's "Roy's Bluz" and "I'm Evil" are just fabulous tone. Love the way his playing builds, the way he changes the guitar's voice with just his hands, the knobs, the switch, and the pick.

I love Roy's playing, and I admit that his backing band just sounded too weak, too thin, and the singing was always weak on a 70s Roy album no matter who was doing it. I liked Roy's stuff enough to get past that.

14. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    If you're talking about his backing band on Live Stock - and several of his iconic bootlegs - I strongly disagree with that.

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    I don't understand why anyone would apologize for not liking something because they "should" like it.
    Where does the "should' come from? Peer pressure? I guess we never really leave junior high school, do we?
    I feel the same way about brussel sprouts. I suppose I "should" like them. Except, guess what? I hate 'em. Screw anyone who does like 'em. Don't try to convince me otherwise, don't care, never will, not interested.
    I have exactly the same feelings about Rats and Timmys. Tired of hearing about 'em. They suck. They sound like brussel sprouts taste. People who use Rats and Timmys eat brussel sprouts; I just know it. Roy Buchanan never ate a brussel sprout.

16. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks for the offer, but no thanks ... And watch your language.

17. Jim Campilongo

Jim Campilongo Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Brooklyn , New York
    good thread - my 2 cents

Though I appreciate the viewpoint in this thread - and I'm not a big fan of Roy's Alligator LP's, his first two Polydor records remain close to my heart and I feel both those records have aged well.

First off, to me - both those LP's (especially the 1st LP) transcend "guitar records" where the compositions are simply vehicles for blowing ... Roy displays an artistry I still admire on "The Messiah will Come Again" and those aren't "Freebird Outro" chord changes. Roy could play good music (see link below) and was well-versed in American styles - way more informed then most of his peers at that time.

But my main point is- I am discussing Blues/Rock guitar from over 40 years ago - 1971 to be exact! This is when Alvin Lee was considered to be a Paganini-like virtuoso, Clapton was still "God" and the guys in the Doobie Brothers were total guitar heroes - at least in my neighborhood!

Then along comes Roy - and at that point I personally hadn't heard anybody play over the changes as poignantly. Even Hendrix and Bloomfield weren't coming from the diatonic place Buchanan was adhering to, and to my ears, this was a stunning innovation in the early 70's.

Sure, I heard Django, Wes, Christian and they all ripped over the changes, but Roy played with sound that called my name, and his sound on the first two studio records is superb.

Look- I totally understand not embracing his 80's, 90's live in concert "Green Onion" excursions and usually, when I turn someone onto Roy, I sweep that era under the rug. But like his music or not, Roy was a true innovator and to me, a true artist.

Again, it was refreshing to read a well articulated, challenging opinion on the ol' Tele site. Thanks for all the posts.

Here's a little "review" from my website of Roy's 1st LP that I thought might be appropriate in this thread...

Roy Buchanan - "Roy Buchanan 1st Album"

I was lucky enough to discover Roy when I was 12 years old when I purchased Roy's 1st Album on Polydor (I still have it!). It's a landmark LP, and a "must have" for Telecaster players. Roy invented or help define, volume pot swells, tone pot swells, behind the nut bending, squealing harmonics, steel guitar voicing on standard guitar and more. These techniques come from a place of expressive artistry, allowing Roy to exhibit and convey a mournful, expressive quality in his music. I read somewhere - that Roy was trying to say "help me" when he played. Roy certainly helped me. Thanks Roy.

SubDoc likes this.

18. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Thank you for chiming in, Jim.

You talk a lot of sence. And there's no way you could hide your Roy influence.;)

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Woah! I love you Jim Campilongo!

Roy is the mannest. This post is so much awesome.

20. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I have never been a big fan, but am aware of his place in the pantheon. Great bio video, now I have a glimpse of why he was such a tortured soul. Growing up poor in the middle of nowhere as the son of a Pentecostal minister sometimes can have that effect on people. Then he had six kids of his own- I'm gobsmacked on that one. Wonder if any of them took up music.

Having the stones to try and make it on the road at 15 seems incredible, yet when you see his situation it clearly made sense. Not too many happy, middle class kids living comfortably with friends and family would do the same. Even if he failed at least he was getting away and seeing the wider world out there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.