Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anyone else NOT like Roy Buchanan? :shock:

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by LGOberean, Dec 19, 2014.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I tried a search for a thread like this, and didn't find one, so...

And just for the sake of clarification, this is not about personal dislike of Roy Buchanan the man. This is not meant to be a "bash Buchanan" thread. It's just that I don't get anything from his playing. It doesn't move me.

Oh, I acknowledge that he had chops, speed, dexterity, technique. He could of course play circles around me, which frankly just isn't that hard to do. So I'm not trying to put him down to build myself up. The truth is, I don't know why I don't like his guitar playing; I just can't quite put my finger on it. When I try to analyze it logically, it just doesn't add up. I should like his Tele playing.

So this thread has two purposes as far as I'm concerned: (1) to find out if I'm the only one in all of TDPRI-land that feels this way; (2) to find out if there's a cure for my condition. Seriously.

So if you're in the same boat as me on this one, please chime in and let me know.

Or if you're a Buchanan fan, share your perspective on why you're a fan, why you like his style and/or tone. Share vids that do it for you. Maybe it'll help.

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    I purchased several of his recordings in my life. Although I like his playing, I always found his guitar tone "thin and weak". "Squeaky" if you will. This was a put off for me.

3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Man, guitar, amp. No effects. Pure expression at the ground level. That is the beauty of Roy's playing.

As you evolve as a player you understand it's easy to slap a distortion pedal or fuzz on a guitar and get tone and sustain. It covers up a lot of very average, single position pentatonic guitar players.

Roy was not appreciated in his own time enough. To understand him a bit, listen to Danny Gatton and early Albert Lee. In an age of distorted guitars and big amps, these guys existed under the radar but influenced a lot of the Nashville players of today ie. Brent Mason, Brad Paisley, Guthrie Trapp.

Just so you know, when I first heard him, I didn't like him either. I came to appreciate what he was doing as I improved in my own playing.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I like his playing a lot. I think part of the problem some people have is, they've been listening to bad recordings. So many people I've talked to that saw him live, everyone loved what they heard.

I think Roy's mistake was in not finding a vocalist. He should've tried to follow what Carlos Santana or Robin Trower did. His voice was not compelling, was not technically that good and stole a lot of the natural excitement out of his performances in my view. It just made him seem not ready for prime time and this IMO is a terrible tragedy. I don't care if it is the cause of his difficulties or a symptom of them - I just wish someone had been there to twist his arm hard enough to do the right thing. I promise you, you wouldn't have any difficulty with him then because he was something else on the guitar.

5. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Listen to "Livestock".....
    some of the greatest tele tones I've ever heard,and great playing.

6. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Larry, sounds like you'll "get " him when you get some chops! ;)

7. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I hope you're wrong about that, Chris. If me getting some chops is the determining criterion for getting Roy Buchanan, then it's likely that I never will! :oops:

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Ever since I joined here 9 years ago, there have been regular threads on Roy. And in most of these threads - at least some years back - there were always those who didn't "get" Roy, so you're in good company. Roy was one of those artists that you either LOVE or DON'T GET - even HATE. You can't have done a very thorough search.

I'm not sure there is a CURE for not liking Roy. I guess your heart and soul will have to heal themselves eventually ... Chances are your condition will never heal though. But listening to "Live Stock" may help along the way.

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I named my '53 Telecaster after him (and Roy Nichols).

10. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Interesting that this thread has been moved. I'm not offended by that, but I don't understand why. Threads expressing appreciation for Roy Buchanan were deemed okay for the main forum, so I figured that this one would be okay there, too. Oh well, no biggie...

I've wondered if part of it was that my ears are just not attuned to his tone. There were some things that I didn't like tone wise that I would agree sounded thin/weak/squeaky.

11. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    I know it's blasphemy in some circles, but Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton both are guitarists that I can only appreciate in small doses.

thunderbyrd and Colo Springs E like this.

12. LGOberean

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've got a gig this afternoon, so I'm going to have to change gears for now. When I come back, I plan on listening to "Livestock" this evening, and then I'll get back on here with questions and observations. Thanks, everyone.

13. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    I love Roy.

Pay really close attention to this whole song and check out some of the Really Slick Bends he does.

Also Roy is the King of Non Facial Expression.

How can you Not like this ???

14. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

An acquired taste I think. I saw him one time early/mid eighties; very loud, ice pick to rival Albert Collins and used/experimented with a phaser on almost every song. No problem, all artists try differen't things or they get stale. Just went home and put on some of his records.

15. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Try listening to his first two records. That is where it is at. If you don't like those, then you just don't get him.

But he (and his career) slowly went downhill over time.

16. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Boris nailed it. If RB had his singing version of Trower's James Dewar the result would have been memorable.

Buchanan was a guitarist in need of a band,much like Gary Moore and many others. Bands and the sum of their parts is a common topic. Being the best at what you do doesn't always guarantee a pleasant listen.

17. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2011
    USA
    Me, I don't like Telecasters. I mean, I know lots of other people do, and I know I should, but since I don't, maybe you can spend some time making me like them.

Yuk.

18. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    That's an oddly conflicting post,fella. :lol:

19. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2013
    Mobile, AL
    Roy set a lot of ground work for today's players. I think you have to judge him on his contributions back in his day. Personally if he were playing today like he did back then I would say that I could out play him.

20. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2011
    USA
    True that. I'm oddly conflicted. Mostly I'm just a chain yanker, lol. ;)

Sorry, honestly, just having fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.