Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone care to venture on what kind of dog this is?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by birddog01, Jan 19, 2013.

1. We got a bunch of English Setters, but a couple years ago before my wife retired from the county shelter we adopted this dog at about 6 months old. He was probably 5-6 pounds then and now about 10-12 pounds. He took to me right away (well after about a half hour of coaxing) and no one else could touch him as he would bite, probably out of fear. That soon faded. What made him kinda cute in a sympathic kinda way is his overbite. He's got one of those tails that have a 360 degree curl. I can say he has no fear of any size dog, but some little guy's are like that.;)

Christmas morning waiting for others to wake up.

Facial close up

Any thoughts?
  2. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

It's Muttley with that protruding jaw. [​IMG]
  3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. The String King

The String King Tele-Afflicted

Mar 6, 2006
    Definitely a cross bread, with some terrier in him I'd say.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Looks like he's got some chihuahua in him and that "no fear" factor is pretty strong in that breed. I've got a couple near me and they're hilarious. They're little ankle biters. Run right up to you barking like crazy then snag your pants leg and bite at it and tug on it. LMAO!
  6. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Terrier staff cross?
  7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Rat terrier mix?

8. jsal362

jsal362 Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010

My English Setter wanted to say hello to yours.
  9. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Classic urban street mutt IMHO. Long ago I worked in Dogtown, West Oakland, CA. The wild dog packs are no longer there, but it was interesting to watch the generations quickly mix to produce a bunch of tan, small, sway backed dogs. Poor guys.
  10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Mongrel with a good proportion of fearless terrier.

But from the pics I'd say he looked a little nervous there. Fear-biting is something he needs to get over and grow out out PDQ.

I initially thought cattle-dog (Staffordshire bull-terriers are primarily cattle-dogs). Farmers sometimes cross these with their collies to work cattle. Our Airedale is useless for this because cattle are terrified of them. Terriers need to be confident so they don't bite.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied

Jun 21, 2011
    I asked a guy what kind of dog he had one time? He said he was half irish, and half S.O.B, I replied, fetch me down lad, he's kin to the both of us. Looked kind of like that one.;)
  12. Dogface

Dogface Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2003
    He needs an orthodoggist. :D
  13. paranoidsam

paranoidsam Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2011
    It's a Sooner...

Sooner crap on the floor than go outside
  14. robt57

robt57 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Chihuahua / Terrier, Rat/Russel ?
  15. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I don't know if it's possible but it looks like a pit-huahua. Me and my Bennie don't see any terrier in him:
  16. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    If you're really curious, there's a test that will tell you what breeds are in your mixed breed dog. It's called "Wisdom Panel" and it costs about $75.
  17. looks like a happy dog to me!

probably 4 or 5 different things in that pup.. some pit bull, some chihuahua, some terrier...

I took the four dogs up top today (about 4 mile hike uphill) the neighbors two boxer along... the part about chihuahuas having no quit in them is right... my little one is crazy as hell.... my saluki/germ shep mix dog is the alpha and she is a thing of beauty... we spooked some pigs, what a lot of fun that was (nobody hurt) and I saw some feline tracks up there (we have had so much rain the tracks are everywhere)

it is a most beautiful day here (70) and so peaceful and gorgeous... get that pup outside!

good on you for adopting... all my dogs have always been adopted and have been amazing animals that bring me joy and love...
  18. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

19. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2008
    What is his body shape? I definately think I see chihuahua and sometimes they get mixed with dachsunds and are commonly referred to as "Chi-weenies". Check out this link...

I have one and he's my best pal.
  20. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 16, 2008
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.