Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Anyone built a mid-cut pedal at all?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by victorludorum, Jan 30, 2013.

1. victorludorum

victorludorum TDPRI Member

Hello all :)

I see that Armstrong sell one, but I don't see any kits or circuits out there for a DIY build. Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Cheers,
    Gary.

2. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Depending on what sound you are going for I've heard of a few options.
    I haven't built any of these yet.

Paul Gilbert uses something similar to tame a cranked Marshall.

http://www.paulgilbert.com/DetoxEQ.html

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products/paul-gilberts-detox

I wonder how close that HBE pedal is to Runoffgroove's Tonemender?

Maybe ROG's Mr. EQ would work too.

The simplest would be a Blackface style tone stack in a pedal, something like this. Likely need a gain stage to get it back to unity volume.
    One of the projects I'll get around to eventually will be a pedal with a Fetzer Valve and a BF TMB tone stack, I'll call it the Fenderizer. :p

-Dale

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. victorludorum

Dale,

Thanks a lot! There's some great info there for me to chew over. I really appreciate it my man, thanks ;-)

Gary.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

In Craig Andertons book,both the first and the second edition,there is a project called Super Tone Control ( "#17).I built it about 20 years ago.There are level controls for high pass,band pass and low pass.Also a Resonance control.(Q,how sharp the filter is.).If you want a midcut,turn the highpass and lowpass controls up and the bandpass control down.
    Approximately what you would do with the Detox EQ.The IC is a 4136 low-noise op amp.The Super Tone Control is labeled beginner/intermediate.I had no trouble putting it together and it worked as it should.Highly recommendable IMO.
    Here is a slightly modified version on veroboard.
    http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2012/09/anderton-super-tone-control.html

6. limbe

limbe Tele-Afflicted

7. victorludorum

Lots of great info here chaps, thanks very much :)

I've got a Baggs Para DI that I use for acoustic guitar, and this will probably work well for what I want, but I recently did my first pedal build (a Red Llama clone) and enjoyed it, and I want to take on another one.

Cheers again ;-)

Gary.

8. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Meister

A Behringer Pickup Booster PB100 goes for $30-ish. It's a Baxandall tone stack (bass and treble), with some clean gain if you desire. By boosting the bass and treble, the mids get scooped. It is a worthy pedal.

9. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Cool idea. I used to use an EQ pedal (usually a simple Boss one) for this. The guitar one was fine but I found the bass one had different and sometimes preferrable frequency centers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.