Anybody watching the HBO show Barry?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SolidSteak, May 1, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I read an interview yesterday where Hader compared the latest episode to the Sopranos "Pine Barrens" episode. The one where Paulie and Christopher are trying to kill this Russian mobster out in the woods in the middle of winter. The guy just won't die. (In the end I think he gets away.) The whole episode is this surreal set-piece, kind of an out-of-context one-off. Just this weird interlude in the overall plot arc.

2. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I just finished binging the whole series over the last 2 weeks and really love it. Love the quirkiness of the characters (especially Hank). He really cracks me up.
    I will say that the episode with rabid Tae Kwon Do girl was a bit over the top; but it still made me laugh my butt off! The whole show is a hoot!
    Can't wait for the new ones, sort of wish I hadn't blown through it so fast now.

3. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, kind of similar, but nothing funny about that Sopranos episode. Interesting that this last show was supposed to be a one-off. Not sure how you come back to "normal" after that, but I'll be watching to see...

-Ray

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Swampash&Tweed and scrimmer like this.
  5. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Also I dig that they picked the late, great Charles Bradley's "Change for the World" to use over the title card opening:

CHARLES YOU DA MAN!

Mike Eskimo and scrimmer like this.
  6. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am watching on the strength of this thread. Finished season 1 and now starting season 2. :)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  7. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Its silly at times but the characters are pretty interesting. Henry Winkler does a great job. I'm a fan ........last week when he walked into that room filled with Karate trophies was pretty funny.

The rest of the show was kinda out there..........but it keeps making new avenues to explore. That little crazy girl being the latest. :D

8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

It’s a really interesting series, distinguishes itself well from the norm.

It has subtle similarities to Patriot, which precedes it, but Patriot is still one of my top favorite shows of all time. Intricately set up, laugh-out-loud scenes that are genius. Highly recommended. Especially if you liked Barry. Don’t be fooled by the bland, innocuous description of the show; once you fall down its rabbit hole around the 3rd episode, you’ll be hooked. I mean, a covert operative who sings the details of his missions at open mike night to work through his guilt?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Black comedies.

(The catch-all term for what y’all are grokking over)

Love ‘em.

And Barry is a great one.

What do the folks who are saying “well, it’s a little out there...” or “they really pushed it with this last episode ...” normally watch ?

House Hunters ?

RLee77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.