Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

anybody using the Mooer tiny pedal power brick thing?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Wrong-Note Rod, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I've got a small space on my board for a pedal power brick, most will not fit and ... well, I'm weird, I dont want or need a big board. 5 or 6 pedals at most, nothing fancy.

Right now I'm using a Godlyke all in one thing, it seems fine - however someone told me I might have a simpler better time of it with a power brick. The Mooer Micro Power will fit.

Anybody using this Mooer thing, is it acceptable? Waste of time and money with 5 or 6 pedals?

2. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    First thing I noticed about the Mooer Micro Power — it does not seem to have isolated outputs.

Your Godlyke Power All is basically just a glorified daisy chain, if I’m correct.

If all six pedals function great together, then isolated outputs shouldn’t be a concern for you.

Providing 8 x 300 mA, that would be enough to power you’re entire board.

Also comes with velcro and lengthy DC cables which is a nice bonus. LED indicators too.

Personally, I would choose the Mooer Micro Power over a daisy chain any day! Probably has more filtering/regulating than a daisy chain... I don’t know.

However, I still use my Voodoo Lab 4x4 Power Supply... need it for running 10+ digital pedals, clean and silently.

I say do it, because for the price of that little guy you can’t possibly go wrong!!

Let us know if you decide to buy one, and if you do — tell us what you think! I’m curious too, because if I ever assemble a smaller board that might be something I’d look into.

KM

3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    No room underneath your board? A photo would be helpful. Depends on your pedals.

I am not really sure what your friend meant by "a simpler better time of it". Nothing is simpler than a daisy chain and an AC adapter. Isolated power supplies offer some advantages, but simplicity isn't really one of them. Noise rejection is the main one, but if you aren't having any noise issues, why not just leave well enough alone? The other advantage that comes to mind is the ability to provide different voltages and higher current limits on some ports, but perhaps you don't ned any of that either.

Vespa_One likes this.
  4. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    i get a little hiss from the OCD when using single coils and the drive on the pedal about halfway up.

Not sure if the Mooer would fix that... this guy said a power brick would, so I thought I'd ask if anybody over here was using one.

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    All drive pedals will increase hiss. And an OCD has a good amount of gain, so half way up is likely to exhibit plenty. Do you have any digital pedals (delays, reverbs, modulations, etc.)? If not, the odds are that a different power supply won't help. And if the power supply isn't an isolated type, it almost certainly won't help. Again, photos and knowing which pedals you are using (besides the OCD) would help us help you.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    UNLESS you are getting digital noise, isolated power supplies can actually increase noise floor slightly. I wish I could find the link. One of the pedal gurus bought an expensive isolated PS to “reduce” (non-existent) noise in his rig. The little voice in his head kept telling him his rig’s noise floor increased. So he did audio tests and sure enough his tried and true OneSpot daisy chain had a lower noise floor.

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

interesting.

Not sure if I should bother, at this point... I mean, its working as it is, and you know what they say about advice from gear heads in the audience.....

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

I'm not sure any of them are digital. the only time based effect I use is an old analog slap pedal. I use a Boss noise suppresor to kill the hiss, works fine for me... guy was of course telling me "thats killing your tone" but I think its alright... was maybe going to experiment with this Mooer because its cheap, and its small enough to fit. Theres a compartment underneath where the compressor and tuner sit.

But this is it, all I've used for maybe a year or two and a whole buncha gigs. Its decidedly unglamorous but effective.

[​IMG]

waparker4 likes this.
  9. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    If the noise is loud enough to require a noise suppressor, then you might benefit from a different power supply, which could eliminate the need for the noise suppressor. It depends on the source of the "hiss".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.