Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody using pure nickel strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Jan 16, 2018.

1. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

Am I missing something here? From my point of view, the wound strings go dead far in advance of the plain steel strings (I often keep those on until I break one), and I don't like the sound of the new plain strings much. Does anyone make a set where the plain strings have a nickel plating?

2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I love Fender 150R (10-46) on my Baja Tele and 1970 Stratocaster to cut down the bright tone I get out these guitars. Online prices are cheap; these are cheaper than D'Addario's, and might be made for Fender by D'Addario. They are long lasting, too, but my hands are not sweaty.

My tech put nickel plated EB strings after a level and crown fret job. They were just OK, and I will change soon. FWIW I had to fiddle with tuning these strings, unusual for this guitar.

Erik Samson likes this.

3. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Rotosound 11s on my Tele, which seems to really benefit from the warmer sounds. Plus, my fingers like pure nickel better.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Anybody here use Webstrings?
    I've been using their regular nickel plated strings for years (2.75/set), and like them.
    Their pure nickel are 4.00-4.50 depending on quantity.

5. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    That's all I ever use. Fender 150s for years.

I have used the Gibson Historic Reissue strings because I got a couple boxes of them and they're pretty nice. I tried a couple sets of these spendy strings - Coco something or other. Very nice as well.

The 150s are cheap and they sound good. I don't like SS or nickel wrapped, aside from on my PRSi for some reason.

I think the nickel are a little mellower.

6. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    Fender 150 on my Tele. On my strat I prefer nickel plated daddario EXL125

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.