Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody use these GFS XGP bodies?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by aalcantara, Nov 11, 2017.

1. aalcantara

aalcantara TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Michigan

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Haven't used one myself. Some have had good luck with their wood products and some haven't. Some of the problems have been significant, but most have been minor or easily overcome.
    Just need to check that all the cavities are done right and inline with each other. I hear their return policy is good.
    Good luck.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I used one....sunburst Tele.....pretty thick poly-ish finish, a 1993 Korean Fender Squier neck fit PERFECTLY....all other Fender hardware fit as well. I was putting it together to sell to help pay for a Warmoth conversion neck for the 1993 body, so I can't give any long term report on it, but it sounded good and was lighter in weight than the Fender body.
    edit....incidentally, I was completely upfront about the parts when I sold this guitar...the guy who bought it had some experience with XGP bodies and necks, and had NO problem with it being one.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    SPUDCASTER likes this.

4. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2010
    North Dakota
    Just bought the dbl bound fiesta red because I had a spare neck and some other leftover parts laying around that just had to be used, still have to get a few more parts. I bought it use it as a base for a red sparkle finish, but it's so good looking it will take me a while to make up my mind whether to do it or not....but the finish and fit of everything was great. Careful tapping the ferrules in, I damaged the finish a bit on a couple.

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

Rod Parsons and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    First XGP Strat body had a chip that was clear coated over it. The replacement was 3 pieces that were horribly mismatched and differently colored clearly visible through the white blonde.

6. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I've not used an xgp body but have built a strat, tele, and Pbass with their regular bodies without major trouble. Xgp is supposed to be better so I wouldn't hesitate personally.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Do a search up above in the search bar for GFS and XGP... this topic has many threads devoted to the pluses and minuses.

8. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2009
    CT
    Hi
    I believe YOUTUBE has videos of people who did use them and they give a very thorough blow by blow...
    I would like to know if anyone has ever put a FENDER LICENSED TELE NECK on an SX body. I have the SX tele with the two P90 pups and while the neck is good I may want to put a FENEDER LIC NECK on it one day. Any advice on that?

9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I have bought 2 and handled another that was shipped to me by mistake.

All were blems and were very nice. I kept one to make a partsquire for my boy.

Will prob get one of their purple sparkly bodies to make one for my daughter.

Anyways one of the ones I had was bound and the binding didn't have a very even edge. Maybe that was the born.

Also it was more cream than white, which is cool, just would be good to know in advance.

10. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    SE Michigan, USA
    My experience with an XGP body was the final straw to make me swear off of any GFS bodies/guitars.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/xgp-hardtail-strat.553260/

I never even finished the set up on it. It got shoved into a closet nd forgotten about - I take it out once a year, think about finishing it, then stuff it back into the closet and go play my Warmoth.

Someday I'll buy a real hardtail Strat...

11. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Heel width on the SX is different as far as I know. Ask on the Agile Forum.

12. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2004
    Most GFS stuff= good

Unless its made of wood.

Thats my mantra. There is so much other stuff similarly priced that is
    better, I see no need to try any further.

I have always said, if there original line of stuff had been any good there
    would have been no need for a premium "XGP" line.

13. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2017
    The Dalles, Oregon
    They are ok. I bought one of the unfinished ash tele bodies. Wood quality wasn't the best but workable. From the standpoint of learning to paint and build a guitar, it's a good way to go if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

14. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2009
    CT
    thank you....

15. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Got an XGP tele body in Aztec Gold, for a potential poor man's Gatton gold tele project. I was hoping it wouldn't be boatanchor heavy, and was happy to find it weighed about 3.5 lbs. Finish looks good, no obvious defects. Neck pocket fit is sloppy, about 2mm too wide. I'll need to monkey with that when I put it all together. My biggest beef with this is the routing. He claims in his ad copy "We rout each body to exact 1961 Telecaster body specs... using MY OWN 1961 Tele Custom as the template." That seems to be total BS, as a '61 and most all Fender tele bodies would have a wire channel between the neck rout and the control rout. On this body, the neck pickup wires go through a skinny hole...into the bridge pickup rout (WTF?), and then must be guided from there, along with the bridge pickup wires, into the control cavity (see pic, the red spots show where the routing holes are drilled). If you're using pickups with skinny a$$ wires, no problem, but wax coated vintage wires, and especially the fat Barden sheaths are a tight fit. Especially hard was getting the 2 Barden sheaths PLUS a thin bridge ground wire thru the small hole from bridge pickup rout to the control cavity. I did it, but it was very difficult. Having the neck pup wires also running thru the bridge pup rout is also a big concern for bridge pup elevation, just poor design, they cheaped out on the routing for sure. I could see from their web pics that there was no vintage style wiring channel, but at minimum, I was expecting a hole between the neck pup rout directly to the control cavity. I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to adjust the bridge pickup down with all that extra wire in there. So, the jury is still out, but it looks good, and is lightweight. Rob D told me that with GFS, most all the bodies have some issue or another, you need to monkey around with them all to get them to work, and as usual, Rob is correct.

I have the Wilkinson dual-mount bridgeplate, and am gonna try it first as a toploader, for a slinkier feel, but can also go string-thru if I don't like that setup.

As far as the wood? Who knows. They claim it is white poplar. All I know is, there is no grain, it looks just like basswood, and is just as soft as basswood (white poplar is 410 on the Janka scale, the same as basswood, while alder is 590 and ash is 1320). It is so soft, when I installed the strap pegs, I didn't even need to drill, I just inserted a small jewelers screwdriver into the pre-sited pinhole and pushed it in and turned to make the pilot hole, then the long Dunlop straplok screws went in easily with a screwdriver.

View attachment 471522

xgp_2.JPG 20171201_094036-a.jpg View attachment 471523

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

16. mmeyer520

mmeyer520 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 3, 2009
    iowa
    I got a Pauwlonia(sp?) Strat body last year. It had some finish issues and the neck pocket was not routed deep enough.

17. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Go look at 2bikemike on YouTube. He did a couple builds start to finish with GFS XGP bodies. He had a problem with one regular non XGP body and sent it back. The pickup cavities were not deep enough.

18. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Assembled the Gatton style tele, with the Aztec Gold XGP body and fat MIM Burton neck. The color is a bit more coppery than the Gatton Frost Gold, but I'm OK with it. I like the guitar's weight, just over 6 lbs.

20171208_161102-1.jpg

Gatton vs Partscaster.JPG

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017

19. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.

20. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    GFS Dbl bound bodies in Cardinal Red and Sea foam Green/blue??? They are 3 lbs each, paulownia.. Total for each guitar totally built with fat necks and custom shop electronics is 6 lbs even,.. each They are beautifully finished in 'polyurethane,... thin but tough coat.. They play and sound great.. AND ultra lit weight.. Everything vintage style fit...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.