Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody Tried the Aria 335 Copies

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Platefire, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    This one is a TA-50 model I've had one about 7 years now. I picked it up used at a pawn shop for $190 in like new condition. I played it a couple of years stock to more or less to prove it. I always wanted a Gibson 335 but never would spring for the bucks$$ This one proved itself to be very playable as far as action, feel and intonation but one of the pots were scratchy no matter how much cleaner I used on it and also I wasn't really happy with the stock Duncan Design PU's.

So about three years ago I decided to upgrade and ordered a high end wiring kit with Bourns pots and also a set of SD 59 pickups. Now that things sounds every bit a good as any Gibson 335 I've ever picked up. I tell you what, I've been buying and selling guitars for for many years and the build quality is very good.

I never see any of the Aria 335 copies mentioned on the guitar threads and just wondered had anyone else stumbled into one? Platefire
    Aria TA-50 005.JPG Aria TA-50 002.JPG

Fiesta Red, mnutz and brookdalebill like this.

2. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Aria Pro II Ta70 here. Bought it off ebay years ago. Came with Duncan JB's in both spots. Changed it to a Duncan jazz in the neck, then later changed the bridge pickup to a Duncan 59 hybrid. Mine is missing the original bridge like yours, but the tuneomatic fits it. Need to hold on to the tailpiece because it's narrow and I'm not sure if you can buy something that fits.

It's a very good guitar, probably my favorite gig guitar that I've used. I've never had a 335 so I can't compare, but I've never had the desire to trade in the TA70 for one.

3. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    Aria makes some good high end guitars at a low price. I picked up second hand the Aria copy of a Martin HD28 for A$350. All solid Engelmann Spruce on Rosewood. It's a very good guitar. People just aren't familiar with the brand name so you can generally pick up a bargain when they come on the market.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Cool!
    I like the bound F holes and stoptail.

Fiesta Red likes this.

5. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Just to be clear, there are the Japanese made Arias and Aria Pro II's, manufactured by Matsumoku from the 70's to around 1984. I think the OP has a late 70's Japanese TA50 judging from the headstock. Then they moved manufacturing to Korea, and the collectors market for those later guitars isn't there like it is for the Japanese /Matsumoku models.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I believe both Reed and Campbell are playing Aria Pro II guitars in this video. I'm not going to make any comments about Glen's shorts.

7. Platefire

Nov 3, 2003
    No---I wish 70's, mine is not a 70's model. I bought it about 2010 used
    and it was like brand new, not even a scratch. It don't have a serial number. My guess it was manufactured no earlier than 2006. I found no country of origin on the outside or inside the guitar and with no serial number, hard to trace. Here is a picture of the head-stock. My best guess would be China??? Platefire

BTW-Here is a link to some info on it. Mostly correct except it's not fully hollow, it has as solid maple block running down the center.
    http://www.chorder.com/electric-guitars/aria/ta-50-3760
    AriaTA-50003.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 10:42 PM

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I know, they're not cargo shorts.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

9. Platefire

Nov 3, 2003
    Regarding the video, I surely thought Glen or Jerry one would take a lead ride in it??? Two mighty pickers and they both dropped the ball! I guess part of being a good picker is knowing where to not jump in at:>)

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.