Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody tried a Chapman ML-3 traditional Pro?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by talkbox_64, Sep 11, 2017.

1. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    IMG_0908.JPG IMG_0922.JPG I have had one for about a month and really love it. ( I dropped in some fishman Greg Koch pickups and that really took it to a different level of love!)

Let me know if you have any experiences with the brand and what do you like or don't like? My Ml-3 is on the right in black. The guitar on the left is a S style Capt-10 America.

ftbtx and brookdalebill like this.

2. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    For just over a year I've had the predecessor to yours - the previous iteration ML-3 Traditional.
    The differences between our two:

Unfinished headstock on yours (mine is colour-matched (sort of =]) - I much prefer the new unfinished look)
    Headstock truss rod access on yours - mine has the previous spokewheel at the heel version. I'm not positive, but I /think/ they upgraded to a dual action truss rod on your newer version as well.
    Bridge (mine started with a Wilkinson basic compensated brass saddle bridge - now a Callaham with stainless angle compensated saddles) - yours with the 6 beefy brass saddles.
    Body thickness - they thinned it them out a bit - more like a standard thickness, mine is extra-thick when including the carve - for the new versions.
    Stainless steel frets on yours - mine are the regular fretwire.
    Locking tuners on yours - mine started as standard Grovers; I immediately changed to a custom-ordered set of Sperzels and put a D-Thing on.
    Wiring components - they upped their game on this front as I understand it. In my pickup changeout everything got changed in the process.
    Strap locks come pre-installed on yours.
    Yours; hard case - mine; very nice gig bag.
    Pickups; you've changed them out, but the stock ones are something new they formulated. Mine started with their previous T-Type pickup set, which included a stacked bridge noise cancelling pickup.
    You went with the Greg Koch set - nice! I've test-driven those (strange thing; with Greg standing there watching... yikes! That was just a few months back). Mine temporarily had a DiMarzio set (Area Hot T bridge, Area T neck, and my fun 5-way wiring). Since then I changed to my generally-preferred Barden Modern-T set paired with my wiring scheme.

Mine is the previous Satin Blue colour.

I'm a big fan of the brand. For the price point, the workmanship on mine really impressed me.
    Our two instruments were made in the same factory (World Music) and they've done great things at their price-points by going with their non-distributor business model.
    They've got some lovely cuts of wood with great grain, and very nice finishes (I really like the satin finishes).
    That said, I look forward to eventually having the opportunity to test out some of the standard range... a retailer not that far from me signed on and has a shipment pending.
    But of course, my focus would be on the Pro line =]

The ONLY thing I took issue with on my instrument is that there's a weight-relief chamber in the vicinity of the upper strap button - changing to a locking strap I found that there wasn't as much wood there as I'd prefer. Researching I saw that others had run into the same thing, so I approached with caution.
    I wound up using super glue to harden up that area of the swamp ash so that I'd feel more secure with the new locking button anchored there.

Congrats on the ML-3 Pro Traditional - looks great alongside the Cap-10 America; that's a very nice version of the Cap-10.

(Edited autocorrected 'their' to proper 'there')

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    talkbox_64 likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Good looking guitars!

talkbox_64 likes this.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've been checking out the Chapman guitars for a while. Rob seems to have a fetish for the telecaster, and he's come up with some pretty cool variations on the telecaster design. Everything about those guitars looks classy, even the headstock logo.

talkbox_64 and RomanS like this.

5. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I played a used one at GC and the fit and finish was great. Played nice and sounded great but it was a heavy beast. Had to be 10 lbs at least.

talkbox_64 likes this.

6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    I've got the ML7T (7-string Tele, discontinued) - really great workmanship, and surprisingly lightweight (AFAIK this mode is partly hollow); very good hardware (Hipshot bridge & tuners); can't commend on the pickups, as I replaced the humbuckers in mine with custom-made single coils (I don't use the 7-string for metal, but for rockabilly & country - kind of a s a twangy baritone guitar and a Tele combined in one instrument).
    Also, I painted it with amber shellac, and put a maple overlay on the headstock, to make it look less "metal"...

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

7. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed observation. Yep, you are correct about all the differences. Love the story about trying out the fishman pickups in front of the Mansquatch Greg Koch.

One thing about the 2017 models. They are a lot lighter than the version you own. They still resonate very well!

Thanks again!

8. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    thank you! I love the 3 I own and each flavor they bring to my mediocre playing! :)

9. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    yes, they changed the weight on the 2017's. About 7 lbs. Those previous models were beefy and a device for exercise! :)

10. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    I love how that guitar looks. Very nice! Non metal!!!

RomanS likes this.

11. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    My pleasure.
    And I actually got lucky; my ML-3 is pretty much a featherweight, especially compared to most reports.
    I'll add in a photo of mine at some point - I thought I already had to be honest. But I'm not showing any media stored...

EDIT: I added photos previously somehow...
    I'll link to my NGD thread:

NGD - Chapman ML-3 Traditional

12. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Minnesota
    haha! I have looked at that post a few times! Glad to a have a fellow "brother of the chappers" around here. Take care!

Steve_U1S likes this.

13. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Follow-up - I've now got one of these same versions on hold to evaluate (again) tonight.
    My (relatively) local dealer received its first shipment of Chapman guitars - in this case, it seems they received the WMI-built Pro series models (or the Standards sold out before even showing up in inventory, which is possible - the Pros have been selling out quickly...)

Thing is, I already got to play it two nights ago (the same day their shipment arrived - thank-you Facebook; a post about the arrival alerted me...), and they also pulled a just-QCd ML-3 Pro Modern Cherry one out for me to test-drive as well.

Very very impressed with how Chapman has upped their game on these re-designs.
    Nice fit and finish details and such - felt very good.

I put it on hold to take a trade-in and see how it'll all shake out. So, shall see.

14. Steve_U1S

Apr 23, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Further follow-up; trade & transaction done - it came home with me last evening.
    Details in an upcoming NGD post.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.