Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody Reading Any Good Books Lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Apr 18, 2017.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Believer likes this.
  2. Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2017
    Chincoteague, VA
    No. :cool:

~ Pappy ~
    deplorable pick'r

3. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Haven't been able to find a chunk of time to read deep lately, but can be revitalized at any moment by Spoon River Anthology. One brilliant page at a time.

Johnson johnson and Harry Styron like this.
  4. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Delta, BC
    Stoner by John Williams. One of the strangest reading experiences I've ever had. It seemed to me the plot and the main character were something less than captivating, but I could not put the book down. There were times I would look up from the book and wonder why I was reading it, and then be compelled to dive right back in. It was odd, but in the end very satisfying. I highly recommend it.

cnlbb likes this.
  5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

Love the Stoic philosophy.

SolidSteak and Tommy Biggs like this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Just started reading it. Am already smarter!

EDIT: read some now. I really enjoy books like this, and it's nice to read a book that actually optimistic about the future of the human race.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Levon got pretty harsh about Robbie in "Wheels" but Robbie comes off as a pretty stand up guy in "Testimony." Of course, he wrote it, so that's to be expected. My biggest takeaway from Robbie's book is the timeline of his learning to write songs. It really seems like he picked up a lot from Dylan. I knew a fair amount of history about The Band but was surprised that Robbie hadn't really written anything much until the Band started jamming with Dylan in Woodstock -- the Basement Tapes era. Good book.

EDIT: ...And what an unusual situation in The Band, where Robbie had 3 singers to chose from for particular songs (and Robbie didn't sing lead at all). Also, that that situation actually worked for as long as it did.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    TeleBrew likes this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Anything by Jonathan Franzen. I loved Freedom, and liked The Corrections and Purity a lot. I’m also enjoying Stoner by John Williams, but it’s (in the words of a noted critic) very “austere”!

9. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2012
    Mississippi
    Dittos on "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates"--interesting take on a largely-forgotten, yet surprisingly relevant bit of American History/Diplomacy. For fun, I'm reading the "Expanse" eight volume series, and Bernard Cornwell's "The Last Kingdom" which fictionalizes pre-Norman England in a highly entertaining fashion. I'm a teacher, so I have a couple of months off to catch up on reading.:)

10. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    A Gentleman in Moscow is holding my interest currently

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Actually, I am listening to Sam Harris read the book -- it's been uploaded to YouTube. He has this hypnotic monotone. You've been warned!

12. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Yes i'm reading one of the greatest to me.

cover.jpeg

13. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    I'll second this book. Additionally I'll that his earlier book Butcher's Crossing isn't bad either.

However, I would recommend 'Death in the Andes' as a book I read not to long ago as dang good.

14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    I just finished a book, Cod, about how the world has been influenced by that fish.

tedocaster likes this.
  15. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I've been making my way through the "Expanse" novels by James S. A. Covey. I'd recommend them to anybody looking for good old-school hard science fiction. I also read a couple of really excellent music memoirs recently: "Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys" by Viv Albertine (the Slits) and "Lonely Boy: Tales from a Sex Pistol" by Steve Jones.

16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    A new novel A River of Stars by Vanessa Hua about a Chinese woman giving birth. A touching, emotional story, taking place in China and the US, with observations about contemporary Chinese and American society.

1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles Mann. Non-fiction about the effects of Europeans coming to the Americas and Asia - and the effect on Europe, the effects of the slavery, trade and the exchange of goods. Revelatory history.

17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    TD,
    I just finished my novel. I will make sure to send you a copy when it gets printed. Hopefully we can break you out of that funk!!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I look forward to that, might get me going again. Maybe it's like riding a bike, once you get to pedaling you just keep going.

Preacher likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    i'm reading two:

"The Secret Team" by L. Fletcher Prouty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1616082844/?tag=tdpri-20

the Secret Team, L. Fletcher Prouty’s expose´ of the CIA’s brutal methods of maintaining national security during the Cold War, was first published in the 1970s. However, virtually all copies of the book disappeared upon distribution, having been purchased en masse by shady “private buyers.” Certainly, Prouty’s allegations—such as how the U-2 Crisis of 1960 was fixed to sabotage Eisenhower–Khrushchev talk—cannot have pleased the CIA. The Secret Team appears once more with a new introduction by Jesse Ventura.

and "Reinventing Pink Floyd"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1538108275/?tag=tdpri-20

Bill Kopp explores the ingenuity with which Pink Floyd rebranded itself following the 1968 departure of Syd Barrett. Not only did the band survive Barrett’s departure, but it went on to release landmark albums that continue to influence generations of musicians and fans.

Reinventing Pink Floyd follows the path taken by the remaining band members to establish a musical identity, develop a songwriting style, and create a new template for the manner in which albums are made and even enjoyed by listeners. As veteran music journalist Bill Kopp illustrates, that path was filled with failed experiments, creative blind alleys, one-off musical excursions, abortive collaborations,

recommend both books as good reads. Depends on your areas of interest though whether you find them to be your cup of tea.

20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    does the author discuss the fact that many of the early stories in the old Testament, including the garden of eden and the flood are rewrites of stories first recorded in Mespotamia many thousands of years before the bible was written? Parts of Giglamesh are lifted whole and become the story of Noah.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.