Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody Reading Any Good Books Lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Apr 18, 2017.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Believer likes this.

2. Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2017
    Chincoteague, VA
    No. :cool:

~ Pappy ~
    deplorable pick'r

3. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Haven't been able to find a chunk of time to read deep lately, but can be revitalized at any moment by Spoon River Anthology. One brilliant page at a time.

4. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Delta, BC
    Stoner by John Williams. One of the strangest reading experiences I've ever had. It seemed to me the plot and the main character were something less than captivating, but I could not put the book down. There were times I would look up from the book and wonder why I was reading it, and then be compelled to dive right back in. It was odd, but in the end very satisfying. I highly recommend it.

5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

Love the Stoic philosophy.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Just started reading it. Am already smarter!

EDIT: read some now. I really enjoy books like this, and it's nice to read a book that actually optimistic about the future of the human race.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018

7. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Levon got pretty harsh about Robbie in "Wheels" but Robbie comes off as a pretty stand up guy in "Testimony." Of course, he wrote it, so that's to be expected. My biggest takeaway from Robbie's book is the timeline of his learning to write songs. It really seems like he picked up a lot from Dylan. I knew a fair amount of history about The Band but was surprised that Robbie hadn't really written anything much until the Band started jamming with Dylan in Woodstock -- the Basement Tapes era. Good book.

EDIT: ...And what an unusual situation in The Band, where Robbie had 3 singers to chose from for particular songs (and Robbie didn't sing lead at all). Also, that that situation actually worked for as long as it did.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    TeleBrew likes this.

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Anything by Jonathan Franzen. I loved Freedom, and liked The Corrections and Purity a lot. I’m also enjoying Stoner by John Williams, but it’s (in the words of a noted critic) very “austere”!

9. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2012
    Mississippi
    Dittos on "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates"--interesting take on a largely-forgotten, yet surprisingly relevant bit of American History/Diplomacy. For fun, I'm reading the "Expanse" eight volume series, and Bernard Cornwell's "The Last Kingdom" which fictionalizes pre-Norman England in a highly entertaining fashion. I'm a teacher, so I have a couple of months off to catch up on reading.:)

10. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
    A Gentleman in Moscow is holding my interest currently

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.