Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody Reading Any Good Books Lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I recently finished "Chinaberry Sidewalks" by Rodnew Crowell,, and "Composed" by Roseanne Cash. Both were time well spent IMO.

Another good one is "Isaac's Storm", a historical novel about the Galveston storm of 1900. I really got into that one. It's hard to imagine how horrible it would've been to go through it, and then later to have survived and have to clean it up.

Also, I almost forgot (not sure how) "Lincoln in the Bardo". Another winner.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

2. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    (nothing to do with music) I stumbled upon a three book series by taking a free used book off the shelf at a club. Man it was killer. Sneaks up on you and easy to keep reading. I had to buy the other two books. Now I'm lost as it has ended! The writer is superb, a lot of good writing that makes you think about a lot of things in life.
    Justin Cronin, Passage

3. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    In the guilty pleasures dept I just ran through all 11 or 12 of the Craig Johnson Longmire series

As a plus, music often times is part of his books. The author plays a strat. In his last book the main character bumps into Grace Slick who comes on to him during a back story sequence. Fun stuff.

4. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    Gravities Rainbow. Awesome reading!

LocoTex likes this.

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Grimm's Fairy Tales .

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

7. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    A pretty good description of what might happen if you take some wrong decisions...

[​IMG]

Desperation Road
    by Michael Farris Smith

8. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    And one of my all time favorites:

[​IMG]

A Confederacy of Dunces
    by John Kennedy Toole, Walker Percy (Foreword)
    3.89 · Rating details · 193,250 Ratings · 12,341 Reviews
    Alternate cover for this ISBN can be found here

"A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head. The green earflaps, full of large ears and uncut hair and the fine bristles that grew in the ears themselves, stuck out on either side like turn signals indicating two directions at once. Full, pursed lips protruded beneath the bushy black moustache and, at their corners, sank into little folds filled with disapproval and potato chip crumbs."

Meet Ignatius J. Reilly, the hero of John Kennedy Toole's tragicomic tale, A Confederacy of Dunces. This 30-year-old medievalist lives at home with his mother in New Orleans, pens his magnum opus on Big Chief writing pads he keeps hidden under his bed, and relays to anyone who will listen the traumatic experience he once had on a Greyhound Scenicruiser bound for Baton Rouge. ("Speeding along in that bus was like hurtling into the abyss.") But Ignatius's quiet life of tyrannizing his mother and writing his endless comparative history screeches to a halt when he is almost arrested by the overeager Patrolman Mancuso--who mistakes him for a vagrant--and then involved in a car accident with his tipsy mother behind the wheel. One thing leads to another, and before he knows it, Ignatius is out pounding the pavement in search of a job.

Over the next several hundred pages, our hero stumbles from one adventure to the next. His stint as a hotdog vendor is less than successful, and he soon turns his employers at the Levy Pants Company on their heads. Ignatius's path through the working world is populated by marvelous secondary characters: the stripper Darlene and her talented cockatoo; the septuagenarian secretary Miss Trixie, whose desperate attempts to retire are constantly, comically thwarted; gay blade Dorian Greene; sinister Miss Lee, proprietor of the Night of Joy nightclub; and Myrna Minkoff, the girl Ignatius loves to hate. The many subplots that weave through A Confederacy of Dunces are as complicated as anything you'll find in a Dickens novel, and just as beautifully tied together in the end. But it is Ignatius--selfish, domineering, and deluded, tragic and comic and larger than life--who carries the story. He is a modern-day Quixote beset by giants of the modern age. His fragility cracks the shell of comic bluster, revealing a deep streak of melancholy beneath the antic humor. John Kennedy Toole committed suicide in 1969 and never saw the publication of his novel. Ignatius Reilly is what he left behind, a fitting memorial to a talented and tormented life.

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Confederacy of Dunces is the perfect name for Bad Dog Cafe....

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i'm hoping to get into "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell" sometime soon, but I am so involved in a non-fiction book i'm writing that I can't spend any time or limited brain space on reading for fun. all research, all the time.

11. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Just finished the first 2 Dune books for the umpteenth time... the next ones just kind of annoy me, but those first 2 are awesome

Prior to that Keith Richards' "Life" had me hooked for too long.

Prior to that a bunch of books on vegetables, horticulture and self sustenance on my piece of paradise.

12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Jordan Peterson, lots of people talking about it

telestratosonic and Flakey like this.

13. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

I'm reading #4 in Piers Anthony Bio of a Space Tyrant. 600 years in the future, humanity has colonized the solar system, based on the old 20th century patterns of nation/culture/ethnicity. Pretty interesting, although much of it is a little contrived (Jupiter is the Saxon planet, its moon Ganymede is an Hispanic nation, and the base there is called Tanamo. Gany is communist, which is the planet Saturn- colonized in the north by Russians and the south by Asian countries. Gany's main export is sugar as well as cigars. Sound familiar?).

Just finished a Sue Grafton novel, F is for Fugitive.

14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Empire of the Summer Moon - S. C. Gwynne

The story of the Commanche "People". The old west frontier was brutal!

Harry Styron and LocoTex like this.

15. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Well, the question was asked ...

1606 - Shakespeare and the Year of Lear, by James Shapiro.

Basically a book about how Shakespeare came to write King Lear but, as it's set in the time of James 1st (of England) it's also about the political situation with a society polarised about the prospect of Union with Scotland ... or not!

So, no parallels with the UK society today and Brexit ... Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose :lol:

16. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    that's one i'm planning to read, somewhere up the line.

Tommy Biggs likes this.

18. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Makes me wanna go on a road trip! It’s only 150 tears ago, and it’s like the dark ages!

19. EasyEd

EasyEd TDPRI Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hey All,

A master of the telecaster...

[​IMG]

-Ed-

20. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2013
    USA
    Check out The Sea Wolves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.