Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody Reading Any Good Books Lately?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonytrout, Apr 18, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

2. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Holic

Jan 22, 2010
    Hendersonville, NC
    Just finished Roy Buchanan American Axe. Currently reading H.P. Lovecraft’s Bloodcurtling Tales of Horror and the Macabre.

drlucky likes this.

3. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

Genius.

CP.

4. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I'm reading "Testimony" by Robbie Robertson. I've read Levon Helm's book, and I've seen the film about him, so I figured it was time to hear Robbie Robertson's version.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

5. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

String Ray Summers. Its about memoir about being a teen in Midwest suburbia in the 1970s. Specifically in the town I grew up in about the same time he did.

6. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    “A Brief History of Seven Killings” by Marlon James. A fictionalized account of the attempted assassination of Bob Marley and the 1976 presidential campaign in Jamaica. Wonderful.

7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Just finished this, one of the best memoirs I’ve ever read. An incredible read for anybody who likes to read, write, appreciate screenwriting, the outdoors. It made me sad again that Jim Harrison is gone. IMG_7847.JPG

8. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    "A Very Expensive Poison". its about Putin killing his enemies... at home and abroad. not particularly well written, but a good look at the most evil man in the world. a man that threatens our country

9. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Due to their content, I can't discuss them here.

I'm so tired of having to devote so much of my reading time, to trying to figure out how we put the wheels back on the wagon. 2018 is simply too "high maintenance" and we don't have time to read about the things we used to. I imagine an end to civil society because certain people gobble up all the bandwidth and leave none for anything/anyone else.

drlucky and Doug 54 like this.

11. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    Recently picked up the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy anthology, all five books--Lovin' it.

12. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

When I heard about the movie Annihilation being made (comes out this week) the trailer looked so interesting that I wanted to read the book.

Area X, The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. Annihilation is the first book of the trilogy but to me it makes little sense to read that first book by itself. This is the first novel that I have read where as soon as I finished, I went back to page 1 and started again.

I've reread many books in my time but the structure of the novel means that reading it in the light of the 'secrets' revealed makes the second time through like a new experience (or else maybe I'm just too lame a reader and didn't see what I should have the first time!)

It is science fiction but more a book about strange events taking place in a world similar to but not exactly like ours at a time similar to but not exactly like the present.

13. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I've been in a rut of bad books lately. I inherited a big pile from a friend who passed away a few years ago. Like me, he'd read anything. But some of it is pretty painful stuff.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

upload_2018-2-23_10-46-52.jpeg If you like Alan Furst (WWII historical novels about the Resistance), you will likely also love Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series. Bernie Gunther is a Berlin policeman in the Weimar Republic, someone who does not like either Communists or Nazis, who gets sucked into all kinds of horrible situations as the **** Party takes over Germany and WWII begins. Really well written books. I read the whole series, which goes on beyond the war, including diaspora of war criminals to Argentina, etc.

upload_2018-2-23_10-49-1.jpeg This may be the best non-fiction book I've ever read. It eloquently summarizes the arc of human history from when we were cavemen to today....and explains why a very small hominid species became so dominant so quickly.

If you are interested in Native American history and the American frontier, I have two excellent books to recommend. Both are quite enlightening. I suppose a good analogy today is our
    Army in places like Afghanistan. Superior weapons, superior everything, and yet opponents who use Stone Age technology are able to hold their own for an incredible length of time
    due to their commitment ,their deep knowledge of the terrain, and their extremely well-honed fighting skills. Witness accounts of Comanche mounted fighting techniques are simply amazing,
    and are why they were the supreme warriors over all other tribes in their region. The brutal, take-no-prisoners approach is also not glossed over. One understands how this was an incredible clash
    of cultures, with zero chance for the vast majority to appreciate or respect the other due to the stark differences. I can vouch for Neil Gaiman-- a great, great writer of our time.

upload_2018-2-23_10-50-41.jpeg [​IMG]

Finally, if anyone is a fan of T.C. Boyle, an amazing writer, I would recommend this book, "When the Killing's Done". TC Boyle based this novel on true events on Santa Cruz Island. The efforts to recover the native Santa Cruz Island fox required eradication of feral
    pigs, and this led to resistance by animal rights activists. The main character in the book is largely based on my wife, who was the TNC project director who managed the recovery efforts in partnership with National Park Service, US Fish
    and Wildlife Service, and other agencies and NGOs.

upload_2018-2-23_11-0-1.jpeg

LocoTex likes this.

15. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    "60 ways to park your foot up your employees A$$" , a motivational book for supervisors:D:D:D:D

16. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    "Please Be With Me, A Song For My Father, Duane Allman" by Galadrielle Allman. This will make you cry. I promise...

drlucky likes this.

17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yes, kinda. As a primary school (elementary school) child, at a now forgotten young age, I bought my first 'real' book from the in-school book club mail order thingy. The held in awe only 'big book' in the catalogue for that age group. All the others were 'kid's books' - shorter, not so many pages and not particularly complicated or involve stories, and mostly picture books. In other words, the book I bought was an actual novel. Other kids whispered about my insane, overreaching delusion when I went up to collect it - "He got the big book!" It's the very book that opened a world of imagination and possibility.

Knight Crusader. Ronald Welch's long out of print and arguably occasionally not so politically correct these days novel of medieval knightly adventure. I just got copies (print / Kindle) of the Oxford University Press republished version. An exact facsimile of the original I read 40 or so years ago.

So, feeling quite sentimentally satisfied. And, it's still a good story.

[​IMG]

18. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    Anything I can download to my Kindle for $0.99 or less.

And chris m., T.C. Boyle is one of my favorite writers.

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    War as I knew it - General George S. Patton
    Interesting man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.