Anybody On Board with 5 G Yet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by R. Stratenstein, Feb 9, 2019.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Apologies if this has been thrashed out in earlier threads, I tried to search 5G but the result was my “search string was not long enough” ?..??:eek:

Anyway, although I’m not an early adopter, technology fascinates me, and I was looking on line about 5G, and jeez, what a snake pit.

Basically the extremely high frequency and small wavelength isn’t very robust, so there have to be antennas as close as 500 feet to each other. The big cell companies are charging ahead full blast, but are lobbying heavily in state legislatures for laws that take away local cities’ right to permit, regulate, require aesthetically compatible equipment, even forbidding local governments from protecting historic sites from the so-called “ small cell towers”. And on top of it all, this cell-company written legislation forces your local governments to accept artificially low ( like $20 per year) lease costs if big telecommunication decides to use a city owned pole or building to put an antenna on. Regardless of what costs your local government ( that would be YOU, Mr, or MS. Local taxpayer.)

And with the proliferation of these often ugly installations, if your neighborhood is blessed with 5G coverage, you and your family will be saturated with these microwaves 24/7. Lower power than the 3 and 4 G, but very much higher frequencies, and your local government has been constrained by law from protecting you from this radiation. And there appears to be a good bit of research questioning the safety of this saturation exposure.

Of course, this is all offset by the many definite and manifold improvements over 4 G that- - whoops, no, wait a minute, there is again some good evidence 5G isn’t ready for prime time yet, and apparently is waaay overhyped. For instance, Apple is said to have nothing in the works for 5G, and until there are 5G iPhones, there really won’t be 5G.

Anyway, am I missing the good side of this? Sounds like a typical story of big money corrupting big governments to usurp local power, to cram something questionable down our throats.:eek:

Piotr likes this.
  2. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, I clicked on this thinking it said "SG". I need new glasses. :-D

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Uh, me too

R. Stratenstein, Donelson and 3fngrs like this.
  4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I just wish they'd get 4g service to be reliable at my house.

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  5. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Five times normal gravity? What? Or do you mean $5,000? It's probably a good idea to bomb all humanity with as many kinds of radiation as possible, as vast mutations will be necessary to produce humans who can stand to live in the world we're wrecking.

3fngrs likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What do jet fighter folks feel ?

7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Yep. We pay for 4G LTE but mostly we’re on the lower edge. I truly hate AT&T

8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Really looking forward to speaking faster

MickM, R. Stratenstein and felis like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Ping G25 driver I like quite a lot, is there a 5 out?

String Tree and R. Stratenstein like this.
  10. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

No. I'm even going to skip 6G and hold out for 7G, which will include legislation for mandatory surgical insertion of cranial antennae for improved network coverage, but provide exciting new features like 3D telepresence with no headset, quantum teleportation, and telepathic messaging. Can't wait! :eek: :lol:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  11. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

It's not available around here yet, and I honestly can't believe I'd need my phone to be any faster at this point. I already feel like I'm living in a science fiction movie half the time.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For now you can chill. The technology's not really here or widespread yet. Better yet, do a search for tin foil hats and fashion. There are far more options for modern paranoid and conspiracy-prone individual.

[​IMG]

My past year included a board I sit on doing homework and leasing a new tower including all the details for sublets that 5G will bring. A lot of homework was done because this is at a facility that teaches kids. The board and associates who did this includes physicians, engineers, attorneys and a public health researcher familiar with the topic. No one found reasons not to do it.

Also, it was really clear there's no conspiracy or money corrupting governments. To kick this off there will also be new fiber construction and 3 municipalities were all involved. There were no signs of big money corrupting anyone at many city and committee plus public meetings. We might be proven wrong in the future but for now it's really cool that we'll have the telecom infrastructure and more money for what we do. We'll have more underprivileged and disabled kids plus more disabled vets in our programs. It will increase when the competing carriers are subletting the tower.

To be honest, I think 5G will do more for things we aren't considering yet than be a revolution most of us need for our smart phones. Health care might be an exception. I think of the logistics, customer interaction, and other things that occur in my day job.

13. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't think it's available yet. I believe ASUS is coming out with a Home Router mid 2019. You set up the 5G service from your provider and get a SIM Card from them. Slip it into your Router and supposedly there's enough Bandwidth that TV, Internet, and Phone services will run through this. Let's see! If it sounds too good to be true.....

14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Something that became clear in the tower lease scenario I described and something I know from my day job is a lot of neighborhoods don't even have the infrastructure. It took a few years of trying to get fast symmetrical Internet at one of my work sites because the neighborhood built late 1970s - mid 1980s didn't have copper that was reliable or could carry it.

My residential neighborhood has fiber now and that was more than a year of seeing construction happening on my side of town.

The most reliable fiber network in my metro area of 1/2 million people seems to be the larger city's stoplight network. One ISP has a lease on it but they're a business services only firm. AT&T - the LEC or local monopoly - put fiber in a demarc next to our HQ office more than a year prior to their ever finishing the service. All that last and close to last mile stuff will have to improve and get done the same time the wireless carriers are doing their end point infrastructure for this stuff.

In the meanwhile my latest generation phone and watch are plenty fine Internet performers and that's been tested with travel to different regions in US and an international trip.

15. jazzereh

jazzereh Tele-Meister

5G will also make the Internet of Things possible. That includes aspects of self driving cars and our appliances. Not sure I'm ready to have my fridge telling me what it needs.

16. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

After it alters the DNA and kills every living thing the robots will have a good time.

17. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I thought that I that heard S***** is suing V****** over 5 G ?

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, there is some kind of lawsuit mixed up in there.

I’m not at the tinfoil hat stage, and realize that some local governments have used leasing space and permitting as a cash cow, charging ISP’s ridiculous per-node fees that run up costs, that have to be passed on to the customers( or, more accurately, are passed through to the customers) for something that has become, for all practical purposes, a public utility.

OTOH, the local governments have a fiduciary duty to get best use and return on public assets. My concern is that the Titan ISP’ s are using their lobbying muscle and cash, to influence the states to essentially remove local governments from the process, and forcing them to accept payments that are less than the true costs they may incur. That, and the fact that as far as I’m concerned, the health risks are not yet adequately assessed, but the greedy big boys are charging ahead, and, by God, if they want to hang one of their ugly installations on the light pole 20’ outside your bedroom window and bathe you in microwave radiation so they can make a buck, it’s going to happen and you have absolutely no say in the matter, which you might, as smaller, more local governments tend to be more responsive to individual’s concerns.

tery likes this.
  19. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I’ve found that if I add more aluminum foil to my hat like in a long pointy thing, I can get 5 G signals just fine.
    I can also get signals from my friends from Alpha Centauri when the weather is right.
    It’s not complicated,

20. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

While my career and role has me chasing technology dreams for work I'm personally investing in things that will not "spoil" faster than a tuna sandwich.

Guitars, guns, and grandchildren (oops that's spoilage):confused:

I live among folks that live way beyond their means, but I'm not upgrading my phone every year more like every 5+ unless they start giving them away again?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.