Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody mod their Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by aalcantara, Apr 7, 2015.

1. trumpus

trumpus TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Holly Springs, NC
    Checking in to this thread - just picked up a Squier CV Tele (Sunburst, bound, RW neck) as a way to dip my toes in the tele pool (I've got a '90 Tele Plus, but this doesn't really get me the true tele vibe).

The previous owner shielded the guard, swapped pickups for a set of Bill Lawrences and upgraded to CTS pots. Unfortunately, he was a hack with a soldering iron and used some terrible speaker wire to get it together, so this needed to be redone. I've got it with my tech now for a 4-way switch, treble bleed cap, rewire and new jack.

The neck is a bit on the thin side for me. Does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket neck (rosewood board, skunk stripe) that will get me a bit more girth without breaking the bank? I can't imagine spending a ton to replace the neck when the guitar didn't cost much to begin with.

What about the tuners - is it worth it to upgrade? If so - any recommendations for a drop in replacement?

Thanks!

2. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Replaced the pots cuz they died and rattle canned over the yuck blonde finish.

Attached Files:

3. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

I'm replacing the neck next week on my CVC Tele. Needs more chunk. Also going to go 7.25 radius I think.

4. fasthand

fasthand NEW MEMBER!

Dec 29, 2015
    Massillon Ohio
    new member, I just purchased a 2015 CV vintage blonde loaded body, and a 2015 CV rosewood neck, through Reverb.com as well as a Fender Pro-Line tweed case, and a 5 hole laminated parchment guard, since Squier didn't offer what I wanted I put it together my self, at some point I may do other mods, I'm sure I will learn way too much here not to.

5. fasthand

fasthand NEW MEMBER!

Dec 29, 2015
    Massillon Ohio
    awesome combo with the rosewood board, now I know how mine will look when the new guard arrives

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I bought one that was already heavily modded - new pickups, bridge, saddles, and a Nocaster-sized after market neck with Fender logo (for you monster neck profile fans, check out the photo of the neck profile at the nut). Nocaster neck profiles are among my favorite, and they are generally not found on "cheap" guitars, so it was a great find.

The new neck was largely why I bought the guitar. Honestly it feels and sounds better than any Tele I have had, including a Custom Shop Tele I had. The neck is a big part of that.

I then replaced the pick guard with a leather "Western" style pick guard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bird Dog

Bird Dog TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Jefferson City, Mo
    This CV came with a Warford B-bender, which works flawlessly, though I don't utilize it all that much.

I prefer warmer meatier tones and loath 60 cycle hum on stage, so I replaced the pick-ups. The bridge has a Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack. I looked hard at some more expensive options such as Lollar, Klein, Kinman, Don Mare, Barden, and others, but the more I tested the Duncan Vintage Stack, the more I realized that it sound REALLY good. So I didn't see much sense in dumping more money in it with other boutique brands. It is dead quiet when not being played and has an excellent Tele style pop and twang on clean settings. The overdrive is tighter and more responsive than stock Tele pick-ups.

In the neck position, I put in a (now discontinued) Dimarzio HS-1 Strat pick-up. I really like this pick-up in the neck for blues and warm country soloing. Over the years, 70% of my soloing on my Strat is in this position with Dimarzio stacked Strat pick-ups.

The nice surprise came in the middle position. These two pick-ups blend together brilliantly. It make a VERY nice sound. Balanced, perfectly EQ'd, and much more like a Tele middle sound than a Strat 2 or 4 position split sound. However, there is a pleasing "hint" of a Strat sound in there. In total it just makea real good sound for country, blues, and classic rock through clean to warm tube amps. It has a good overdrive sound as well.

I also reversed the control plate to put the volume knob up where I like it.

Attached Files:

8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Haha, yes. Well, in my case, the previous owner "Nashville-d" a Classic Vibe Custom, and I didn't even realize the extent of it until after I brought it home and posted a picture on TDPRI. (Which prompted all sorts of comments - "Wait, they didn't make a CVC with a maple fretboard!"..."Woah, he put bronze saddles on that thing!")

At this point, there's probably a reasonable amount of money I would pay just to have coffee with the prior owner and have him explain what he did or was trying to do with this thing. It's equal parts awesome and maddening.

I'm fairly happy with the electronics - I rewired the switch for a good variety of tonal options (N, N/B, B, M/B, M). The middle is obviously a Strat single coil, but I really have no idea where it came from (possibly a MIM Alnico). The Tele pickups should still be the Chinese Tonerider equivalents, though I didn't do the full serial number examination (they sound decent).

The neck is a mixed bag. I fell in love with the aesthetics of it on this guitar, and it played well in the store. But after restrining and playing at home, it seems to have a little backbow or something going on. Actually, this is my third used Classic Vibe now (have a CV50 and CV60 Strat), and all of them have struggled with this to some degree. I had someone set up the CV50 and it is now much better, so it's probably just a simple truss rod adjustment.

Where the neck came from is a more complicated question. What I think it must be is that this guy was a Squier fanatic (kind of like me). He probably owned 2 or more Telecasters, and had the thought to swap the maple neck from (probably) a CV50 Tele onto this CVC. I'm guessing that because the neck shows all the signs of being from a Classic Vibe Tele, just not THIS CVC, since I'm pretty sure they were always made with rosewood fretboards (and sold for $20 more).

I'm not sure I like the brass saddles. I've heard they're softer and have some durability issues, but are supposed to have a warmer tone. Coming from mostly playing Strats, this guitar is already plenty bright. There's some notching/grooving on these saddles that hang up the strings a little bit. Thinking about changing them to steel just to see what that does, but then I'm starting my setup game all over again, and I'm no luthier!

So, it's got some issues, but I'm being patient with it. For the most part, it looks and sounds great, and the tuning stability is solid.

9. alexcoupe

alexcoupe Tele-Meister

May 17, 2013
    Portugal
    Thath neck ill bet its from an affinity.

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Switching to steel saddles will only make it even brighter. I'd check to make sure the pickups aren't slanted up towards the treble strings, and I'd also make sure he didn't use 500k pots.

11. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    From the pic, it looks like modern tuners, so I don't think it is from any of the CV teles.

12. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2015
    terra firma
    Bsb cv50s all stock and loving it!

13. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Disagree on both, though I only have the one picture so it's impossible for you guys to tell. The Classic Vibe necks have a glossy, lacquered finish like this neck does - it's really quite distinctive. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen an Affinity (or even a Standard Squier Tele that had the high gloss neck finish. Certainly not the ones at my Guitar Centers for $179 and $229, respectively. There's no way this neck comes from an entry level Affinity - I've played them and they're not even close. I'm about 85% sure it comes from a CV50's, such as the Butterscotch Blonde model. Everything matches up from the finish to the tuning keys to the string trees:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...habupV_vq58Wtn7J5Jdth9x5yYt6jd4rzYaAi8s8P8HAQ

Also, the tuners are vintage style Klusons (where the string end is stuck into the middle of shaft). I've installed them on other Squiers, but I know they come standard on the Classic Vibe models.

The other points about pickup adjustments and checking to make sure I have 250k pots are well-taken. I believe the pots are stock, but it's worth a look.

14. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2015
    terra firma
    Wow. I'm firmly planted in the traditional pg is best camp, but wow man, that pickguard is awesome!

15. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2015
    terra firma
    Meant for ac15 thinline pic.

16. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2007
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Posted by StormJH1:
    I just bought a BSB CV from CL, and the neck (and body) have a very yellow-tinted high-gloss (poly?) finish. Another poster derided the color as "banana yellow." The finish on your neck seems un-tinted, much clearer than mine in the photos. The cheaper Affinity blonde teles I looked at (think on Amazon) appear to have a laminated-on maple fingerboard. This neck appears to be one-piece to me. I think the blonde Affinity I saw had an alder body, not pine like the CV. Kind of a heavy guitar in spite of the pine. The tangs on the CV's fret ends seem to have been clipped off, so that only wood filler is visible on the side of the neck in the fret slots-no metal. The neck is really lovely to me, and maybe the highlight of the guitar. Looks like it was quarter-sawn and shows off the wood's rays nicely. Don't know if that's a feature of this guitar, but someone else that posted in the thread noted the same cut on his neck.

I wonder if this one was a factory second due to the dark grain streak on the front of the body from the bridge to the strap button. Got a great deal on it from the original owner though, my first tele, and I'm enjoying it so far. The output socket is a bit funny; when I insert the jack the socket seems to push it back out slightly. Works okay though, no noises. Can't seem to make a right angle cord work, I prefer not to have a straight jack sticking out with (non strat) guitars that have a side mount output receptacle. I'm unfamiliar with the classic tuners and the B and high E seem to go out of tune persistently the way the previous owner wound the current strings. The saddle intonation screws are unnecessarily long and project above the strings at the bridge. I don't feel them really but it looks sloppy to me.

Attached Files:

17. adamajah

adamajah TDPRI Member

Nov 12, 2015
    out west
    Anyone tried putting a MIM 50's tele neck on a CV 69 Thinline?

Not sure I like the dark tint paired with a mahogany body, but I dig the neck profile and 7.25" radius.

cheers

18. Dustin_J

Dustin_J Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    My esquired/G.E. Smith'd tele with a Cavalier Nashville/Fat Lion. Very nice sounding/playing guitar.[​IMG]

19. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2014
    utah
    Most likely a CV thinline neck. They don't have the tint for some reason.

20. Jollyrogerjay

Jollyrogerjay TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Ive added in a few mods to my CV50's. I had some old american standard strat electronics that i was saving for a project so i put tge neck pup in and swapped out the pots and tone capacitor (not sure what rating it is)and that sounds sweet! I also sanded the neck a little and rubbed in some boiled linseed oil with some scotchbrite. Plays and sounds amazing now!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.