Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody mod their Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by aalcantara, Apr 7, 2015.

1. m.bennett

m.bennett TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Lower Slower, Delaware
    Thanks guys! I was really blessed to get such a beautiful guitar. I'm excited to "finish" it. I don't think I'm going to respray it.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Don't do a thing to that body. It's perfect just like it is. A VB like that is still on my wish list and at some point in time if I can find a body with that much grain that's the one I'll buy, do a pickup swap, and put a white pickguard on it. Then I'll have another base covered.

This is collecting Teles is an illness I know but it beats a few others I've had. ;)

3. m.bennett

m.bennett TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Lower Slower, Delaware
    So, got the Tele all back together. Now powered thru Emerson Customs pre-wired Reverse 3-Way electronics. And it's phenomenal, except the annoying buzz due to a ground issue. Idk where it is. I soldered/checked everything I could. If I touch anything metal, including my pedalboard when I'm plugged in, it's dead quiet. The second I lose contact, it's back. Any ideas?

4. TwangyChamp600

TwangyChamp600 TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2015
    CandyLand,Kanata
    So beautiful man. I want to esquire my VB CV badly

5. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Meister

Aug 15, 2013
    The Shack
    Yeah, but I was a dummy, and ditched it after getting a MIM. What a mistake that was. Had a SD P94 in the neck, and a Dimarzio DP112 bridge. Grover Deluxe tuners and compensated brass saddles too. Yup, learned the hard way that something printed on the headstock does not make it a better guitar. Went through three MIMs before finding satisfaction in an American Special, (modded of course). Here she was , in all her glory -

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:

6. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Oh no, you don't want to do it badly! It has to be worth doing well... ;)

7. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I wanted to too! Why don't you?

Attached Files:

8. m.bennett

m.bennett TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Lower Slower, Delaware
    So, update she now has the following:
    -Emerson Customs pre-wired Reverse 3-Way electronics (treble-bleed mod built in)
    -Texas Special neck Pup
    -American Standard bridge Pup
    -'72 Custom Volume & Tone knobs

Next will be a Bigsby (Vibramate most likely) and then a Warmoth Custom maple neck with ebony fingerboard and pearloid diamond inlays.

Attached Files:

9. CHUCKHDTV

CHUCKHDTV Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2013
    Montreal
    WB CV 50's here. Installed 4 way, changed pots. P/P volumes gives me half out of phase. P/P tone is a complete pots bypas witch bring a nice ring and a bit of boost. Electrosocket.

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    About a week ago the switch died in my CVC tele. I went out and bought a fender custom shop 4 way switch, and wired it up with 2 250k linear pots (I like the control at the top end of the volume knob). Honestly feels completely more solid and just sounds awesome. Still running stock pickups and honestly they sound sweet in the 4th series position.

11. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City

Use "50s wiring" it's better and simple to do. More natural than treeble bleed.

B. M.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    The initial modifications are done. This is that FSR CVC Gold/Bronze Model that was never sold by any of the US dealers. Here's the bone stock model.

[​IMG]

Mine after the current modifications; Kent Armstrong Alnico P90 Rag Top neck pickup, Cavalier Fat Lion bridge pickup, .015uf tone cap, treble bleed, vintage pearl pickguard.

Attached Files:

13. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City
    That FSR is very nice, looks neat in that finish.

B. M.

14. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I have the Vintage Blonde. I've ended up with Keystone Pickups, treble bleed (didn't like what 50's wiring did with the volume/tone pots), 4 way switch, and a white single ply guard. This is the cheapest guitar I own and I absolutely love it. It gets its share of gig time too.

15. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2007
    raleigh nc
    Found a used CV 50's dirt cheap, went whole hog...
    Bone nut, fret level and crown, new pots and switch. Black pickguard was just WRONG, went with single ply parchment. Had a set of Callaham brass saddles laying around, and changed out the pickups (even though I like the stock ones, they'll go in something else). It now has a Lollar Special bridge and Lollar Firebird neck. In a room full of pedigreed teles it's the overachiever from the wrong side of the tracks. Shame about that ugly banana yellow, but oh well...

16. loudcherokee

loudcherokee TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I just finished mine up. I did the following:

New CTS pots
    Oak Grigsby 3-way switch
    Switchcraft jack
    Electrosocket
    Treble bleed
    Top hat switch tip
    Dunlop strap locks
    Tusq nut
    DR Blues 10's

Got it all set up and playing beautifully. Still need to dress the nut, but the slots are filed down to where there's about .006 between the first fret and the string when fretted at the third. Action is about .075 on the 6th at the 12th fret and .035 on the 1st at the 12th.

Just ordered some new knobs. The squire knobs are for knurled posts and won't fit the smooth posts. Should have them by thursday.

Loving the treble bleed circuit I used. The guitar stays very clear and not muffled when the volume knob is backed off.

I'm still debating on putting a greasebucket circuit on the tone pot.

LC

Attached Files:

17. alexcoupe

alexcoupe Tele-Meister

May 17, 2013
    Portugal
    Nice babyes around here.

18. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City

I can recomend you to use the "50s" wiring, it's simpler and you get a nicer tone.

B. M.

19. loudcherokee

loudcherokee TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I thought the 50s wiring was like a treble bleed for the volume pot and didn't affect the tone pot?

LC

20. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City

Yeah, kind of. You get a cleaner tone and when you roll the vol. pot there is still a treeble loss but not that much as the normal wiring, barely noticeable.

You should use greasebucket's and 50s' and see which is better for your needs.

B. M.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.