Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody mod their Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by aalcantara, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Birddog144

Birddog144 TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2015
    Oceanside, CA
    A while ago, I was perusing ebay and i stumbled across a CV Tele neck that was quartersawn. I'm a fan of quartersawn necks, so I went ahead and bought it. It sat around my shop for a while and I decided to find a CV body to fit it. Again ebay had one in white. Now I have a virtually mint body and neck.

I've used Bill Callaham's stuff in my Strats, so I thought "What the heck" and ordered the complete model T kit with the Bakelite pickguard and the Lindy Fralins (http://www.callahamguitars.com/partstel.htm). I used steel threaded inserts in the neck (Mexican Tele in the photo, but the same idea) and a custom-engraved neckplate.

I suppose it's more a Partscaster than a CV, but the headstock still says Squier.

Attached Files:

2. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    Canada
    I have the Vintage Blonde. I put Keystones in it, CTS pots, PIO cap, Wilkie comp bridge and parchment pickguard. She's a beaut.

I was going to keep the original pickups in it but there was something wrong when I brought it home (it was used). The stocker bridge was anemic and when I metered it showed an open coil so I put the Keystones in that I had in another guitar.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Wow, being a Fender part I'm amazed they'd be so expensive. Do dealers have to pay some sort of import duty on them? There must others available there that aren't so overpriced wouldn't you think?

4. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Since this thread took off, I figured I'd post more info about my Esquire project... took my CV BSB to an Esquire with upgraded electronics:

Pickguard: Single Ply Esquire, white, GuitarFetish - adding Pickguard Shielding Foil
    Controls: CRL 3way switch, New Control Plate, Dome Knobs, CTS Pots, 250k, Orange Drop caps .047uF
    Jack: Switchcraft Output Jack, mono, plus Electrosocket Jack Mount
    Strings will go from 9s to 10s

Did the "Eldred mod" as well. I'm still really happy with the stock pickup, though I'm dying to try a Cavalier. I just hate to mess with it when I love it. I need another guitar to esquire!

Anyway, truly a fun guitar to play and the CV made the prefect platform.

Attached Files:

5. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2013
    Herne Bay
    Mine now has a Baja 60's neck, but more importantly it also now has this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. erix

erix TDPRI Member

May 12, 2014
    Richland, MI
    I started my CV50 adventure with an eBay loaded body (with Warmoth pickguard!) and added a Warmoth conversion neck and SD pickups as described here: NGD - CV50
    [​IMG].
    Sounded and played great but as the winter wore on the nitro I sprayed on the neck went all sticky so I got a different Warmoth neck, this time rosewood and birdseye:
    [​IMG]
    Of course I had to get a new pickguard as well, also from Warmoth. I put the original neck pickup back in, saving the SD Jazz for the next project.
    [​IMG]
    The neck has some great figure in the headstock!
    [​IMG]
    I finished this neck with (11) coats of Tru-Oil. After the last coat I let it hang for 7 days, sanded with 1200 and then 2000 and then buffed by hand using only an old t-shirt. It is satin and oh so smooth! I will never ever ever use nitro on a neck again!

7. androo

androo Tele-Holic

Dec 8, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I thought you were SUPPOSED to do that to a CV??

My CV50 has been through quite a few changes. All in good fun, and I've loved every minute of it. I bought it when they just came out...and here's my list:

1st reincarnation
    Vintage Vibe Charlie Christian pickup (CC Rider)
    3 ply w/b/w pickguard cut for the CC

2nd reincarnation
    Toneriders Blues Classic bridge and neck
    Glendale double cut bridge plate
    Glendale compensated brass saddles
    3 ply w/b/w Tele guard
    Electrosocket Jack Cup

3rd reincarnation...and my favorite to date!
    Eldred Cocked Wah prewired Harness with 4 way switching
    Cavalier Nashville Lion bridge pickup
    Gotoh double cut bridge with compensated brass saddles (the Glendale is on a Washburn Laredo LT92)
    3 ply w/b/w Esquire guard
    Dome knobs

I'd add it up, but yep...for sure it's more than the guitar was originally

Here's the Esquired version. Wish I had a shot of the CC Rider setup. That was fun.

Attached Files:

8. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2014
    utah
    I don't think you have a Classic Vibe neck there.

9. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2014
    utah
    Nevermind, you said Mexican neck. Sorry.

10. trilby

trilby TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Toronto
    I bought this Classic Vibe Thinline during Boxing Week a few years ago. I've replaced the stock pickups with Wilde Microcoils, put in a Gotoh bridge, put in a 4-way switch, put amber barrel knobs on it (they were lying around and it was only intended to be temporary, but then discovered I really liked the look/feel of them on it), and a fatback Warmoth neck with Sperzels. It's a fantastic guitar.

Attached Files:

• Tele.jpg
      Tele.jpg
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:

11. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

Yes, full rewire with an allparts rewire premium rewire kit (4 way switch) and Duncan hot Tele neck and Alnico II bridge pickups.

12. TheBoss1983

TheBoss1983 Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    Mönchengladbach, Germany
    I put a Kluson HW40C bridge on it. It's gonna be my rock Tele! My Baja is the more classic type of... I think I'll put some high-output pickups in it.

13. shivamoon

shivamoon Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2009
    Sonoma, CA, U.S.A.
    Which switch?

I'm thinkin' of puttin' a 4-way switch in my CVC. Anyone have any thoughts, favorites, etc? Which brand switch works best in your CVC?

14. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands

15. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Done a ton of mods to my CV: mini-humbucker, then a neck swap with the CVC, undid that, and finally I saw the light and Esquire'd it- the current and likely final incarnation, because I like it by far the best.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1430047726.783586.jpg

16. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Read the thread - he said he just happened to have them lying around. Of course, I don't know where he got them in the first place, but they're not hard to find from the spare parts supplier of your choice...

17. swamper95

swamper95 TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Australia
    Originally a bsb, great out box with a good set up but I couldn't help myself......It's my vintage hot rod mod

New paint job
    Total re-wire
    S Duncan minni hb in neck
    Wilkinson ashtray bridge with brass comp saddles
    new sting t
    Electro socket
    Strap locks

This is my No 1, plays all over my 2011 Am standard. You just can't go past these CV's!
    I'm also in the process of refinishing a CVC in true oil for a kind of whisky barrel look.

Attached Files:

MadRocker likes this.

18. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    I started my BSB modding last year but unfortunately screwed up the pickups in the process and have been waiting four months for Keystones to replace them.

The mods I meant to do were new jack, 4-way switch, new pots and knobs, and wiring/caps. That stuff is all done. Just waiting on the pickups.

I'd like to get a vintage blonde or Thinline body and build a partscaster around it: Jazzmaster neck, Charlie Christian neck pickup, stock or lipstick bridge pickup and maybe a Bigsby. Something along those lines would be awesome!

19. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's a full wiring kit, including pots and jack: http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...ing_Kit_for_Telecaster_with_4-way_Switch.html

You'll need new knobs, too: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Knobs/Dome_Knob.html

While you're at it, get a new socket: http://www.stewmac.com/Items.aspx?search=Electrosocket_Jack_Mount

And compensated saddles! http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...ensated_Bridge_Saddles_for_Tele_Set_of_3.html

20. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curious--why did you move on from the CC?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.