Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody mod their Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by aalcantara, Apr 7, 2015.

1. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

My CVC Tele got Custom Ship Texas Specials in it as a free upgrade... long story involving happy resolutions from Guitar Center making a mix up. Will eventually do the switch but I like everything else just fine.

2. GhostRider

GhostRider Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    4-way switch and modern pickguard as the stock one warped on me.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I got one VB and two BSB (both were almost new, and got both for the price of less than one new)... Ordered a white pickguard for one BSB, and will order the new Tonerider Alnico II Blues pickups soon, just to get another tone. The original pickups will go in a cheaper guitar someday...
    That way I'll have the three Tonerider sounds (one new, and two "almost" Toneriders).

The other two will stay as stock as they can be, except for compensated brass saddles and a new jack on the VB.

So modded, yes, but as little as possible...

PS: The CV series are great, and receive much well earned comments here. They are very playable, and I love the shiny neck... (but I love a little army of VM's just as much, just because they're so different)...

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I'll play:

gotoh Tulip tuners
    Lollar Charlie Christian neck pickup
    Duncan Quarter pound bridge pickup
    Wilkenson Dual load bridge (run it top loader)
    Stantellan Elek-Trix wiring harness (was given to me and thought I'd try) It's fine and just lazy enough to leave it in
    Dome knobs

5. Judas68fr

Judas68fr TDPRI Member

May 27, 2014
    Kingston, ON

it was pretty much a drop in. I just had to sand the wood underneath the 22nd fret, it was basically squeezing the pick guard underneath.

The neck shape was not bad, but I usually love Teles with chunkier necks (to me it's part of what a Tele should be, just a matter of personal taste), and this one is rather fat (1" soft V at the nut, 1"06 vintage C at the 12th fret).

6. djinn1973

djinn1973 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2006
    Vacaville, Ca.
    my big mods (at least for now) have been a very wide and inexpensive strap, locks, and a set of 11's.
    Been thinking about doing something like this.
    The Eldred Esquire Wiring

7. russintexas

russintexas TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've dropped in a 4-way harness from MojoTone, an electrosocket jack (which is a must-have), and strap locks.

The wiring harness was due to me breaking the tone pot after around 4 months.

I'm starting to look at putting a hipshot b-bender system on the guitar, but it's a lot of levers, plus I'd need to drill holes in the bridge.

8. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2007
    maine
    Man, I want a CV 50's badly, but I just refuse to pay over $300 for a Squier, regardless of it's "cool-factor"!

I really like the customs, with binding, but I'll wait for that pawnshop deal, or a used one for around $100.

I'm patient.

9. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Definitely understand the not wanting to break $300 but getting a CVC for $100? I sold the neck to my CVC for that on eBay.

Never seen one that low, guys tend to keep & mod from what some thread on the internet said...?

10. L T DRIFTER

L T DRIFTER TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2013
    muskegon mi
    Classic vibe butterscotch blond

I have 6 teles 3 are classic vibes 1 Waylon custom tele in all leather 1 Nashville tele 1 tele acoustic ...I like the c v B B I have custom shop Texas tele pickups.all cloth wire vintage paper in oil .05 cap with a fender pat pend brass 3 saddle bridge. All screws are slotted head like the 52 tele this guitar plays and sounds as good as a thousand dollar tele at a fraction of the price it's a great guitar Sorry about multiple posts I'm new at this

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

11. L T DRIFTER

L T DRIFTER TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2013
    muskegon mi
    Classic vibe butterscotch blond

I have 6 teles 3 are classic vibes 1 Waylon custom tele in all leather 1 Nashville tele 1 tele acoustic ...I like the c v B B I have custom shop Texas tele pickups.all cloth wire vintage paper in oil .05 cap with a fender pat pend brass 3 saddle bridge. All screws are slotted head like the 52 tele this guitar plays and sounds as good as a thousand dollar tele at a fraction of the price it's a great guitar

12. L T DRIFTER

L T DRIFTER TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2013
    muskegon mi
    Classic vibe mod

I have 3 cv a custom,vintage blond, and butterscotch blond the BB I have a 3 saddle pat pend 50s bridge with fender custom shop Texas tele pickups all cloth wire vintage .05 paper in oil cap cts 250k pots Crl 3 way tele switch slightly dome from kneeled knobs ,all chrome hard ware .this guitar plays and sounds as good if not better than a thousand dollar tele,at a fraction of the price.I play country and country rock music this guitar jams.

13. kent1113

kent1113 TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2014
    California
    Mods on my CV Tele: the electrostatic jack input (most necessary), replaced the stock pups with a Twang King neck and Chopper T bridge and lastly wired in a 4-way switch. I love all the changes and this guitar is a keeper. Next? maybe a bridge. The intonation could use some help.

14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    While you're being patient, I believe a lot of other people will be happy with a 250-300 $ CV... I'd rather be happy than patient...

Over here in Belgium, you may call yourself lucky if you find an Affinity at 100 €.

At least you won't be competion in the 200-300 price range if one comes up for sale.

15. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2008
    StatesVegas, NC
    My poor man's AV64. CV 50s body and hardware with a CVC neck and a DiMarzio Pre B1 in the bridge.

Tele.jpg

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Well yeah! Does a bear defecate in the forest? :D

Keystones front and rear, 4-way w/treble bleed, Fender compensated brass saddles, a Warmoth vintage pearl pickguard, and the neck from a 2006 Nashville Deluxe. A great Tele is now a perfect Tele for it's intended use. Not all that much left of the CVC I bought but to me it's still a CVC.

Attached Files:

17. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I don't have a CVC, but you prompt me to ask whether you've noticed any tonal difference with the brass saddles as compared with the threaded steel original ones. Reason is that I've been thinking about making a similar change on my AV62RI. Of course, if you changed the pickups and other things at the same time it might be less easy to tell what the tonal consequences were of any single mod, but any appropriate comment would be helpful.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    The saddles were the last modification I made Tony. The Keystones are fairly bright and very transparent and I felt the brass warmed up the tone a bit. Not a huge difference but enough to be noticeable. I would think you might have similar results with your AV62RI since the Keystones are very much a '60s vintage style pickup.

The set I used are just the standard Fender ones that are drilled at an angle.

http://darrenriley.com/store/fender-compensated-telecaster-brass-saddles-0058544049/

19. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    That's useful to know - thanks, Paul. By the way, those particular saddles are available in the UK, but outrageously at well over double the price Darren Riley's quoting. In fact, it might be better to buy from him and pay the international postage.

20. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If I didn't futz with it it wouldn't be mine. ;)

[​IMG]

Electrosocket, switchcraft jack, compensated brass saddles, bone nut. Replaced the stock bridge pickup with a Tonerider Hot Vintage. Couch vintage red Mercedes vinyl strap.

I keep thinking I should put in a 4-way switch, but I don't want to risk messing up the neck pickup which sounds so good. Seriously, these guitars might have my favorite Tele neck pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.