Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody mod their Classic Vibe Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by aalcantara, Apr 7, 2015.

1. aalcantara

aalcantara TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Michigan
    Minimal or extensive, has anybody done anything to improve the personality of their Classic Vibe Tele?

2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Esquired - new pots, wiring, stock bridge pickup. Easily my favorite guitar.

3. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City
    Tons of guys, including me.

B. M.

MadRocker likes this.

4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    This thread could go on for years! I have an all stock white blonde cv-50. It ain't broke so I ain't fixing it, ha ha! The tone and volume pots are a bit stiffer than most.. I read post on how someone 'oiled/lubed' theirs, and they were much less stiff.. I don't know, I haven't tried that yet. But the CV-50 is a perfect guitar to mod, if you want different specs. I love mine and it is also my number one.

5. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    I'll say it again...

... start with a 4-way switch -- all the CV versions have rwrp pickups so you gain a series setting and noise-cancelling. Also, that stock Alpha switch is destined to be replaced sooner or later!

bacongrease likes this.

6. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2008
    45 south
    I put a Seymour Duncan Vintage P90 in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan
    Quarter Pound in the bridge positions on mine, everything else is stock,
    love that guitar, my only Tele

7. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City

8. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Only mod (if you can even call it a mod) that I've done to my 2008 VB CV50 Tele is to put a couple of ballpoint pen springs around the neck pickup screws. This enables the pickup to be raised beyond what the stock thin rubber pad under it will achieve, in order to balance output with the bridge pickup. Apart from that the guitar is just fine as it is, capable far beyond its price point and well up to the professional use to which I put it.

Oh yes, I've also flatted down the gloss on the neck to a satin finish with a bit of Micromesh, but that hardly counts as a mod either.

Lespaulrebel likes this.

9. rhh7

rhh7 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2008
    Calgary, Canada
    Squier - Classic Vibe Custom Tele - 3 Tone Sunburst

I bought a new Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster. I had previously purchased the pickups, wiring harness, pots, and switch from a 2011 Road Worn Telecaster. The neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan '59, the bridge pickup is a Fender Tex-Mex. This guitar will never leave, it is killer for blues and jazz.

Attached Files:

bacongrease likes this.

10. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Just a little bit...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cdwillis likes this.

11. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Got a CVC back in 2010 not coincidentally right after joining this board. Incredibly nice playing & sounding tele. I immediately swapped out the switch tip to an aged strat style tip and put an electrosocket/switchcraft jack in.

After 2 months of playing a bunch the bridge pup died. I had a tex-mex pup out of my RW50 laying around so I traded that to my bro for a old overwound from his '95 telecaster special. Outstanding tone with that one.

Maybe a couple of months later, even though I really, I mean really liked the neck pup, I "upgraded" it to a SD Antiquity II that was pretty sweet.

Then I bought a CV50 BSB and ended up liking the maple neck on that one better so I swapped necks and sold both the loaded BSB body and the stock rosewood neck for $250 on eBay.

Next mod was getting some Kluson Deluxes with the white machine heads. Loved them & they looked pretty cool on that guitar. Those tuners are rock solid.

A little while later I realized that I actually liked the neck pup from my old LAT better than the Antiquity so out it came in favor of a SD Alnico II Pro.

And then finally about 6 months ago, last mod (yeah, right!) was putting the neck (with relic'd tuners) from my old Joe Strummer Tele on there. Wow, one of the best rosewood necks fender makes on my fav (by now) partscaster.

Oh yeah, did I mention I Esquire'd it along the way, too?

12. Judas68fr

Judas68fr TDPRI Member

May 27, 2014
    Kingston, ON
    heavily! I have a Thinline CV Tele, and have a new neck, new pick ups, changed the wiring for quality wire and pots/caps, and compensated saddles.

But honestly the only "necessary" upgrades to me were the saddles and electronics (pick ups were decent though). It's just that I needed it fine tuned for my needs, and had an amazing deal on a custom made neck.

[​IMG]

studio1087 likes this.

13. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    [​IMG]

Keystones and a 4 way, Squier Standard neck, bone nut, Electrosocket, and Warmoth guard.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    MadRocker, Roadsong66 and studio1087 like this.

14. SvenTele

SvenTele TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Utah
    I'm digging that white pick guard!! :eek:

15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Sure did, first thing was the pots and switch, CTS 250K, Orange Drop, treble bleed. The original neck warped a bit so I picked up a tinted version pretty cheap, probably because the nut wasn't quite right, so replaced that with a TUSQ.
    New Cavalier pickups (Fat Lion, Lioness), Fender bridge plate and steel Callaham comp saddles. It's my favorite and I play it the most of all my guitars. I love the pickups, they just sound fantastic!

Attached Files:

16. jakecokely

jakecokely TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Flowood, Mississippi
    Changed the strings and removed the gloss from the back of the neck because mine was a little gummy. Relic'd the neck from there and sanded off the squire logo. i only did that because i wanted to show other guys how nice squires can be! Not one person guessed it was a squire lol. I plan on putting some new Twang king pickups in and i dont think there will be any way to improve it!

17. SoundDesign

SoundDesign TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Canada
    On my CV BSB:

- electrosocket/switchcraft jack
    - Wilkinson compensated saddles
    - tort pickguard.

18. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City

Pics.

B. M.

19. BMor

BMor Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Mexico City
    I forgot to mention the mods and upgrades;
    - Put 2 Taiway switches to get In series and Out of phase sounds.
    - Installed a big Sanwa killswitch.
    - Sanded off the back of the neck.
    - Turn the glossy finish into a matte thing (not finished yet).
    - Installed two golden american std. string trees.
    - Marshall knobs (i can't get gold tele knobs in this country, the ones i found are expensive)
    - Gotoh vintage tuners 16:1
    - Fender CS Nocaster in the bridge position.
    - Lace Sensor Gold on the neck.
    - Custom made lexan pickguard.
    - Wiring and electronics: CTS pots, cloth and braided wire, CRL switch, orange drop cap, Switchcraft jack.
    - Fender HW1 bridge (heavier than the vintage).
    - Fender vintage brass saddles.
    - Golden screws.
    - Schaller golden straplocks.
    - 50's wiring.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1428621762.067993.jpg

B. M.

ricardobilbio likes this.

20. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

May 15, 2012
    IOWA
    I have a CV Thinline... and I I love that neck, was it a drop in fit or did it take some work?

thanks,
    Corey

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.