Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody know what an average CV 50s tele body weighs?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by klasher, Jan 10, 2019.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
  2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Heavy...very heavy compared to other Teles.
    Gibson Les Paul heavy.

Believer likes this.
  3. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2014
    Lund, Sweden
    Ditto. The one I had was an anchor. A very nice anchor. But an anchor nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believer likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Around 5 pounds?
    I have a blonde 50's that doesn't feel heavy at all although I haven't weighed it.
    My Les Pauls are a lot heavier.

The last tele body I bought was listed at under 5 pounds and the finished guitar feels slightly heavier than my CV 50's.

Edit, out of interest I just weighed my CV50s on the bathroom scale and the whole guitar weighs in at only 6 pounds. The bridge pickup has been swapped for a lil59 and the jack cup is alloy electrosocket, besides that it's stock. The scale might be out but not by much. I think I bought my CV in around 2011 or 2012? Serial starts with CGS10 so might be a 2010 model? I can't remember how the Squier codes work.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    When they were introduced (I don't remember the year) they were lighter than the current production. My recollection is that complete guitars weighed between 7.5 and 8.5 pounds. They got progressively heavier through the years and current production tends to be heavy. My 2016 CV Tele body is 8 pounds, so I assume the entire guitar is 9.5 or possibly 10 pounds.

YMMV due to the individual chunk of wood you have, and lighter ones still show up.

Believer likes this.
  6. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2015
    terra firma
    Mine is close to 9lbs whole, dont know about just the body

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Nickadermis likes this.
  7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I just happen to have a stripped down body and a digital scale right here...

5.78 pounds

That is the reason it is stripped down.
    I replaced the body.

soulman969 likes this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I don't know that you'll ever be able to get an average "body only" weight if that's what you need to know but if so Rodeo Tex has given you an example of one that I'd say fits a 5-6 lb range.

If it's an entire guitar weight you want what I can tell you is that both of my alder body CVCs are in the 7 1/2 lb range. As for the pine body CV 50s models they seem to be somewhat heavier.

Here are four listed in Sweetwater's Guitar Gallery with weights ranging from as low as 7lbs 13ozs to 9lbs on the dot and two in between. So it would appear that you can find them under 8lbs if you like or heavier if that's what you prefer. You may need to shop around a bit.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ssic-vibe-telecaster-50s-butterscotch-blonde?

9. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Forget an average. They can be from 5 to 11 pounds. One of my son's friends brought one for me to intonate and it was heavier than my LP Traditional. (9.5+ pounds)

10. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    RodeoTex, why'd you decide to replace the body? What finish is it? The white or the blonde? Is it still pine?

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Heavier than I thought they'd be (in a good way). I was prepared for that light, toy feeling & was pleasantly surprised.

hdvades likes this.
  12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I suppose it is clear pine, probably a poly finish.
    My ideal Tele body is more in the 3-4 pound range.
    20190111_195812.jpg

13. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Mine was also heavy and if I had to guess about 9 to 10 pounds.

14. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

My CV50s BSB is a pinch over 10 lbs (whole) - heavy little thing!

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 9:12 AM
  16. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    So what is that white finish? Is it like a vintage cream color or is it pretty much straight up white?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.