Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody here ever try building their own speakers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BryanLB, Feb 8, 2018.

1. BryanLB

BryanLB TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Ontario
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody here builds their own speakers. Sound quality for price point is amazing.

Top speaker 6.5" point source full range
    Bottom speaker 5.25 scanspeak revelator with SB acoustics 1.25" dimple dome tweeter, crossover by Clearwave Audio.

IMG_0051.JPG

JustABluesGuy and LocoTex like this.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I was expecting to see voice coils, magnets, and paper cones ;)

Years ago one of the dads in our cub scout troop made a project out of the kids winding copper coils with magnets, a foam plate for the driver, and a cardboard box to house it all in. They worked as good as a typical 1970s AM radio sounded.

I've built speaker cabinets too. It's fun and they perform better than I usually expect.

3. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    I built some in high school, book shelf speakers with RadioShack speakers, 6.5” woofers and 1” tweeters, crossovers were built from scratch. In fact all the components were from RadioShack. They did sound really good. Everything was custom designed and built around the speakers using a bunch of special equations and they turned out good.

Your speakers look a little more sophisticated than what I built. I’m sure they sound great.

4. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    I also built a pair in high school. They could handle way more power than my cheap stereo could put out. Your is a much prettier build, I must say!

5. BryanLB

BryanLB TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Ontario
    I wish I had the skill set an equipment to build the drivers. Sorry for the misleading title.

6. BryanLB

BryanLB TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Ontario
    Thanks.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I took a class when I was at Georgia Tech where we designed, built, and tested (and got to take home) a pair of loudspeakers. The professor wrote the book for the course, it has since been published, and is a great resource for anyone doing loudspeaker or amplifier design.

https://leachlegacy.ece.gatech.edu/audiotext/

8. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    I have built a MDF subwoofer cab for my HT once. Powered by a LM3886 "gainclone" amp, it served us well for 3 years, until my wife has decided it didn't match the rest of decoration...

nojazzhere likes this.

9. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    I built a 2x15 out of particle board once, it was so heavy I cut it in half.
    they sounded awesome,
    I traded them for a belt sanded b15n

10. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    First time it happened to me at school.

11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I've built some in the past, thinking about another pair.
    There used to be a great catalog source for all types of drivers, McGee I believe, but i can find no reference to them anymore.
    Anyone got a good source for speakers?

12. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Yes, I have built several sets but I am rocking store boughts now.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I've built some partscaster speakers and modded speakers with new drivers, like already mentioned, Radio Shack had some decent parts.
    Also worked in a furniture shop that got the contract for Conrad Johnson's first run of speakers, and took home some unused cabs.

Yours are prettier!

I have an old Pair of Alison Two's that need woofer foams.

14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN

15. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    And I just realized how useless that is with all the broken Photobucket links. Stupid photobucket.

I’ve got the pics somewhere. I’ll post them when I get home later.

16. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Here are the only pictures I could find... basically, after it's already built. Doesn't show the construction, but you get the idea. I used to ~circa 1998 Rockford Fosgate Pro Series 10" woofers, powered with a Crown K2 power amp. Shakes the whole when I want it to. Or just punches in the right places when I keep it low.

8831bb4f-c629-482e-bc65-e12868ba939a.JPG right.JPG photo-14.JPG 11-4.JPEG 12-3.JPEG

SURF likes this.

17. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    Those pics feed my nostalgy.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

Don't have any pics from my stereo rigs but my father and I built this when I was a teen, back in 1974:

[​IMG]
    It's a 2x12" cut-down from a linear 4x12" Hammond Tone Cabinet. I never built a grille - I had a slab of 3/4" ply that fit in the front for travel. I had it setup at one point and my boys did what I did when I was a kid and checked to see if that speaker cone really was made of paper. After my father died my family gave me a rebuilt speaker for father's day to get it running again.

[​IMG]

Rebuilt Utah on the left, reconed Jensen C12NA from the fourth week of '67, probably a pull from a Blackface Fender Bassman, a Pro Reverb, or a Deluxe Reverb. The Utah replaced a gold Oxford 125L6-1 from the thirty-seventh week of '64 that I'll probably get re-coned.

[​IMG]

I'm probably going to rewire this cab to series to get 16 ohms. I figure there's now three years worth of my family's DNA in this 80-year-old box. It sits under a '73 Traynor YRM-1 Reverb Master.

[​IMG]

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.