Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody help? i hope to save my les paul...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Elvis Yip, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    I only use a chisel to route a neck pocket of my les paul, however, the neck pocket is not falt, and the neck pocket is too wide and deep for the neck. Is there any way to save the guitar?

Attached Files:

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I guess I'd epoxy some filler wood pieces back in and re -do the fit of the neck. The epoxy would fill the little gaps.

3. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    the guitar is now in this condition

Attached Files:

4. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Maybe consider turning it into a bolt on neck with a couple threaded inserts or t- nuts. Then You could use some type of filler on the irregularities to improve the esthetics of the fit. It looks like the neck tenon is off at the 16th fret too. I guess you could replace the wood on the side of the neck in the mortise too though.

5. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    how can i make the neck pocket to be flatted ? is it possible to use the shim up technique in neck pocket ??

6. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    If you have access to a drill press and forstner bit, you could drill overlapping holes to level it out. The forstner bit is flat on the bottom. You'd have little holes from the point but that could would be hidden anyway.

7. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    but the right side of my neck pocket is too thin.. will it break if i use router ?

8. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I guess I'd run a shallow groove ( it is not called a rabbet when you go along the grain) from inside the neck pickup rout out toward the front of the body, Then I'd replace the thin piece with a thicker piece of mahogany to fit . You'd glue it in. After it is dry, you could redo the mortise. You can set up a straight fence on the body to guide the router straight. You wouldn't want the router to tip, so an extended base could be helpful here. You could place wood in front of the mortise to support the router, but it would need to be the exact thickness of the body wood.

Gluing in a new piece of wood could help with all the problems and the only thing you'd see is a glue line, which would be slight if you were very accurate.

If you have a router, why didn't you use it?

9. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    because i afraid that the router will break the right side of the neck pocket, its too thin

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Well it'll take some creative woodworking there with a router or expert chiseling to get a mortise and tenon to work right. It is doable there. I might start the neck over if wood cost isn't too much.

11. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    and how to make some wood piece that are all straight for shim up of the neck pocket?

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

A router will likely make more problems than it will fix at this point. I would not attempt that.

Two options:
    -thin layers of wood veneer cut to fit in the gaps and wood glue to fill. Don't use epoxy. More wood and less glue is best. Trim the veneer after the glue cures.
    -cut a wood block to fill in the whole neck hole there is now and a block to fill out the neck tenon then after dried re-shape tenon and cut pocket as normal from the beginning.

Do test fits without glue several times to make sure you can align and the build will be correct.

If possible, mount the bridge and the outer two most tuners and wire, cord, or actual guitar strings between the bridge and tuners to make sure you align the neck side to side so the strings will be on the fretboard and tip forward to back so you can have the strings aim at the bridge for correct action. This will be a challenge. I repaired a broken neck PRS this last summer, here is using the strings to align the neck correctly with the body, maybe the picture helps more than the description.

[​IMG]

13. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    thx for your advice, now i tried to change the design ,which is changing from set neck to bolt neck.
    my plan is to ensure that the neck pocket to have a flat surface and use shim up technique to fill the gap bof the side and the bottom of the neck pocket, but how can i make the side and the bottom of neck pocket to be flatted without using router? thx so much

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    To flatten the bottom of the pocket, I would do what Marty says a few posts above--use a forstner bit in a drill press, slightly smaller then the neck pocket width, and use overlapping "holes" to establish a basic flat surface. With your chisel sharpened to razor-edge, carefully use the flat bottoms of the forstner bit holes to remove the rest of the neck pocket bottom, using the forstner bit hole bottoms as a guide on which to steady your chisel. Be very careful working near the thin edge of the pocket. The drill press will provide a reference for flattening the bottom of the neck pocket.

Unfortunately, you don't have such an easy reference to flatten, and make parallel, the sides of the neck pocket. Obviously, there is really nothing you can to the very thin side of the pocket--any cutting with chisel or any other tool is likely to destroy it. I would glue in commercial veneer pieces to the sides, especially the thin side, to reinforce and build them up. You would have to "eyeball" the parallelism and flatness in relationship to the neck sides. If the neck sides are not flat and parallel, see below.

I would purchase commercial veneer, and carefully cut it to the size of the neck pocket bottom and glue in enough layers to bring the neck up to the desired height.

If the neck and pocket sides cannot be made flat and parallel, once the bottom of the pocket is leveled up with veneer, closely wrap the neck tenon tightly in plastic food wrap. Mix up some epoxy putty and put it along the sides of the neck pocket, and push the neck in, carefully centering and positioning it. Clean up any excess putty that oozes out of the sides, leave the neck in place until the putty dries, then the neck will fit in the pocket you made perfectly. (Remove the plastic wrap, of course.

Then bolt the neck in place.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Are you sure your neck is centered to the body? To me it looks off. Do you have any access to a table saw that could make parallel cuts? The router is the way to go here, but you have to know how to use a router with confidence and experience. If you had a template bit, you could clamp down two fences on either side of the mortise to clean it up. The fences would stop the bit from going further by nature of the bearing. If you didn't have a template bit, you could clamp down two fences on either side and use that as a fence to guide the router base.

If you had a table saw, you could make a cheap neck cavity template just by ripping 3 pieces of wood with the center one the width of the neck mortise you want and regluing it back together.

Capture.png

All of this is dependent on your skill level and resources available.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

16. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    我認為你需要在孔中粘上一塊新的木頭,然後用一個路由器和一個模板進行切割,確保脖子對準正確的位置。

17. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    也許找一個有木工經驗的人來幫忙。 那裡有木工俱樂部嗎?

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Dave, that's exactly what I was going to say next.:cool:

19. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    You're a cheeky boy Rick!!!:rolleyes:

DC

20. Elvis Yip

Elvis Yip TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Hong Kong
    as my master want me to think some solutions by myself,i cant find luthier to help me out

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.