Anybody have or had a Gretsch 5135 CVT ?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Mike Eskimo, May 21, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Chinese made one ?

I played a used ones at motor city guitar on Sunday and really liked the neck which was a big, the fact that it was not neck heavy, and it was super light .

Didn’t even plug it in but it did have the stock Megatron‘s which I hear people speak highly of .

Anybody have one or had one?

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A Corvette has been on my list for a while. I just dig the body design, never even played one.

- D

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

I played a limited edition lefty one a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't looking for it but it was there at the shop so I gave it a go. Loved it and put a deposit down on it. Had to get the deposit back for life stuff.

But that thing was totally sweet all the way around. Even though it was cherry colored and I really don't care for red, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

Can't speak specifically for that model, but I've owned and played a number of Gretsches made in China and IME they're the best Chinese made guitars. I've been very happy with all of them. Their Korean stuff is AWESOME though, if you have the extra budget to step up in that regard. I have a G5420T and that has some of the best fit and finish I've seen in a guitar. Especially at $850 brand new.

tele12, 3-Chord-Genius and Boil like this.
  5. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I have a Streamliner 2420T made in China, it's a great guitar, super fun to play. Quality is very good for the buck

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Fender has done a remarkable job handling the Gretsch brand for the Gretsch family. They're managing this iconic brand a well as their own Fender and Squier brands, with the same great build quality, QC, and catalog range, with great models covering all price levels.

Cysquatch likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I was under the impression that the Gretsch family is managing it, Fender just supplied them with some $$$. I could be wrong, though.

Also, I have a Chinese 2005 Electromatic Pro Jet that's easily on the same level quality-wise as the 1992 Les Paul I used to own, which was an awesome guitar.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

No, Gretsch name is licenced to Fender since 2003. The family is at arm's length. Fender is doing a great job though - the only quick way to pick a Korean from Japanese is 'Electromatic' the headstock face.

The Korean ones are very good, top end Japanese builds are just stunning and the 'High Sensitivity' pickups are really nice.

On the lookout for a MIJ Jet or Firebird style myself

Blue333 and Zepfan like this.
  9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I had one, and thought it was well built, with a unique look and sound. Mine had a factory Bigsby. I'm an SG fan, so I was predisposed to like them.

Sold it when I was downsizing. But at $300-350 I'd get another.

I still have a CVT III, but that is a bolt-on and a different beast.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

"Although the company is presently part of the vast Fender empire, there’s still a Gretsch at the helm. Fred Gretsch III is the great grandson of the company’s founder, Friedrich Gretsch. In running Gretsch’s daily operations he is assisted by his wife of many years, Dinah."

(Unless something has changed, of course...)

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/gretsch-guitars-big-twang

11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I would say the Gretsch brand in some ways is being managed better than Fender or Squire. But I'm sure their sales goals are much lower making it easier in a lot of ways.

12. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Yes, my #1 these days. Took the spot from my Pro Jet a year or so ago. The MegaTrons love my 5e3.
    20171021_104131.jpg

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I've got no doubt he is part of Gretsch the family business which also does drums amongst other things - still in music publishing I think, and I'm sure the family business takes a keen interest I doubt he's hands on in manufacturing. though.

I think they keep the licence close to the family especially after the Baldwin era. It's probably got strict stipulation as to what Fender does and maybe Fender even has to run new product past them, plus he approval of marketing etc.

If they felt Fender wasn't doing justice to Gretsch they'd no doubt terminate the agreement.

14. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I have one (Chinese CVT) The stripped carcass came to me as part of a complicated gear trade. I slapped it together with leftovers from my parts box, and it immediately became my #1. I rebuilt it with decent parts (TV Jones T-90’s, CTS/Switchcraft components, and a Varitone) The trapeze is from EBay that I had to shorten (I would have removed the Bigsby even if it came with one, I’m not a tremolo guy)
    I keep taking it to stores, thinking I want an SG, and going back home with this thing, because I like it so much better. I think CVT’s are a total under appreciated choice, if you run across one, you need to at least check it out. I LOVE mine! D3849511-9B38-475E-B91E-DF00E91F0A91.jpeg

Edit: Mine’s a 2006, and getting kind of beat up. I’d love to go try a brand new one, to see if they’re any different (and to A/B the Mega Trons against the T-90’s) but nobody around here sells them!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.