Anybody have any experience buying an amp from these guys...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by klasher, May 26, 2019.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

2. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

See Lil' Dawg amps for your tweed needs....
    After doing a lot of looking, I have a 5E3 by Jim on the radar.

6stringcowboy and Dukex like this.
  3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I know nothing about these guys, but I'm not sure you could build one yourself for that price.

4. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

Ask for some shots of the circuit board; see what kind of components they’re using. I bought a 5E3 chassis from a small builder (not these guys) on Reverb and it’s been fine.

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I think they are a fairly new builder as I didn't hear of them until about 8 months ago when they posted listings on fleabay. They sure look the part and might be great amps, but I never liked the way they listed them on fleabay...felt a little dishonest in showing a picture of an amp, but when you clicked on it they listed all of their selections and you find out the price was for a different amp. I guess their marketing 1/2 worked as I clicked on the listing, but lost any desire to persue it farther as a result.

There are a ton of good tweed builders out there today. Lil' Dawg, Carl's Custom, Victoria, Firebelly.....just to name a couple. I don't think the price is too far off, but I have never played through one so I can't say. I will gladly support Victoria and Carl though as I do have their amps and they did get them right.

blues bondsman likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems odd to claim high quality but not show pics of the chassis/ wiring.

clintj, JD0x0, Crobbins and 5 others like this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I’d have to know more.
    Like what brand of high quality components are we talking about?
    How about several gut shots of the wiring? Their absence starts me wondering, most builders are anxious to show their work.
    2 1/2 to 3 months lead time is a lot. If you don’t pay until it’s shipped, then that’s safer, but if you pay up front, then wait 3 months, not so good.
    A full time experienced builder could knock one of these 5G3’s in 3-4 days.
    If the builder doesn’t have everything on hand to start your build, like cabs, speakers, tubes, pots, switches, transformers, then he’s more of a hobbyist than a professional. So take that into consideration.
    Not that a hobbyist can’t build a great amp, but it’s good to know what you’re dealing with.
    We’ve seen and heard of builders who take money and string the buyer along for quite some time.
    I’m not saying anything about this builder, but admittedly no one knows anything about him, since we’re talking a serious amount of money, caution is warranted.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Pre ordering amps from an unknown source sounds like an opportunity to add stress to your life.

Build it, Show it off well and sell it ! would be my suggestion for a new guy on the block who is honest and wants to be in the business for the long run.

Would I pre Order from Victoria , Dirty Girl amps or others who are well established ? sure would.

These guys mentioned in the OP leave too many questions unanswered in their ads.

brbadg, thunderbyrd and boredguy6060 like this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks like it comes preloaded with bags of weed; could be a good deal...

Silverface, ponce, VWAmTele and 5 others like this.
  10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hmmm. Looks very similar to any number of tweed covered amps made in China. The tweed isn't perfectly applied or cut, the handle is generic ( no big deal ). Those cabinets are readily available. The chassis is a little unusual. What's the 'ground' hole for?.

I'd be suspicious of buying on patriotic reasons until it is proven where they're being built. Assembling from pre-built modules is a little different to building from scratch. If you hunt long enough, you'll find broadly similar items on the usual sites. Colour me suspicious and throw me to the kittens until proven otherwise. My shenanigans detector is twitching.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  11. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Without speaker and with weed is only for the export market.
    Since you're in Japan, ...................

12. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’ve got an amp on order from this guy. Communication has been great. But I’ll be able to let you know in a month or so how it turns out.

Archtop Bill, Milspec and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

delete

14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I can't speak to the build quality, per se, but you don't get a second chance to make a first impression...

...and mine tells me this:

The lack of "attention to detail" in the cabinet and control plate raises a red flag for me.

As others have already said, buy from a maker who has already "earned" his reputation.

15. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You could always do a search for a good time - they have come up before.

16. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Have been doing well finding the circuit desired used cheap & having my tech mod it to the specs specifically for my playing. Don't have $1,000 into any one of em & the values & components changed are tried & true ones & we use actual amps to a/b..very fortunate to have a builder friend & an authorized marshall tech for 35 years as friends. If your clone has the solid basics..you can continually mod & make suited for your playing..that is the great thing about a HW amp..

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

here is a Valvetrain 427 Tweed Deluxe, from Jacksonville Fl, 427gut (2).jpg 427back (2).jpg 427top (2).jpg

boredguy6060 and gridlock like this.
  18. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

I think he might on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/anthonypaceamps/

I don't have an FB account, and FB acts weird when I just go to look.

I think the second post on the link below sums it up.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/sound-of-the-shoals-tweed-amp-builder.865438/

19. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

The guy posts here as @PaceAmps he posted some gut shots in response to a similar thread last year and his work seemed good (someone got salty about seeing a wire nut on the PT primary neutral, but theres really nothing wrong with that).

The problem with asking about an unknown builder here is that you get a lot of baseless speculation and recommendations for completely different amps instead of actual answers... If i didnt already build my own, I'd consider ordering from this guy, the only negative comment I agree with it that I'd be reluctant to pay up front for an amp that wasn't going to be built for several months when the guy doesn't have an established reputation. But he might be willing to do something to reassure you, plus you've got reverb to protect you at the end of the day.

20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

There's a gutshot of his Proluxe on the Reverb page. I don't recognize the caps he uses.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.