Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Anybody got a Peavey Patriot?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jericho60, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Markocaster

Markocaster TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Northern CA
    I am looking for a Patriot now. I had a natural colour one in the 80's my first electric. With the cool moulded plastic case, 2 ferites and NO Floyd. I wish I
    Still had it. So looking to replace it for old times sake if anyone has one they wanna unload send me a message. Colour is not important. But I want that case :)
    Cheers Mark

2. Markocaster

Markocaster TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Northern CA
    Sorry double post

:oops:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

3. Markocaster

Markocaster TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Northern CA
    Actually could do without The case. And would prefer a natural one like my old one. But black is cool too. Watching a natural one on eBay.

4. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2004
    Pgh,Pa
    Picked a Patriot up for $80 a few years back...great bang for the buck axe!

5. kevmc

kevmc TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2008
    New Jersey
    Another Lazarus thread...

I have one and tried to put elevens on it and it didn't like those...there are only 3 springs max on the trem block (no way to add more) and the tension was a little too high and it wouldn't stay in tune well. .012s would be even worse.

I went back to .010s and they're perfect for it.

Mine is the 2 super ferrite version...I'm thinking of selling it but I'm torn. It sounds good...I just got an upgraded Strat so I'm not sure I need it.

6. Markocaster

Markocaster TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Northern CA
    My Patriot arrived yesterday. [​IMG]
    I got on a blonde natural finish one for my birthday when I was like 15, 83ish. I have been looking for a while to replace it. Had on almost the same and was ready to pay and then dude on Peavey forum must have changed his mind cuz he stopped answering my pm and emails after we had agreed on a price :(
    Anyway this baby fell into my hands and at a better price. Plays awesome , has 2 super ferrites, interesting I noticed it's a 2 piece maple neck. Sound and plays great. Borates the knobs are orig? Love it. Feel like a teen again :)

7. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

This one's for Lazarus:

[​IMG]

8. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hickory, NC
    Markocaster, nice score. I was one of the resurrectors of this thread a couple years ago and I ended up getting a black one like yours. I'd say those are not original knobs. The only ones I've seen are the "P" knobs like you see on some of the T series guitars and basses and mostly you see the clear speed knobs that have a knurled rubber ring on them. I've got the speed knobs on mine. The painted ones are poplar. I love love love how resonant these are playing them unplugged. The bi-laminate neck you noticed is one of the things I think people like most about these old Peaveys.

There's one hanging in a pawnshop in town that looks like fezz parka's there. If I can get rid of some other gear I'd sure like to go buy it. It's been in there over 2 years.

Cool old guitars for sure.

9. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2008
    Berks County, PA
    Got one in May, the single Schaller HB version...

Now looking for a 2 Ferrite version. I love the neck on this guitar...I'm giving my Fender Stratocaster to my wife, and I already traded away my Epi SG...I have become a rabid Peavey player in 3 months!!!

mark

10. Solcat

Solcat Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My guitar teacher has a maple one, I have a T-15. Great sound in a great inexpensive guitar.

11. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan

12. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2013
    Rock Hill, SC
    I had a red Patriot in 1995 when I was in college. I paid $140 for it and it was a great guitar! I loved the pickups and neck, but like all else, I wanted something new and exciting and I sure wasn't going to part with the Tele or Strat, so I sold it, and bought something else. Can't remember what I bought....

13. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hickory, NC
    Boomhaur,
    I don't think that's a Patriot. It's not a good picture but too many things look wrong. Wrong cutaways and never seen a rosewood fretboard, 21 fret or hardtail on a single pup Patriot. All Patriots I've seen have 23 frets in maple. My bet is that it's a Rockmaster which is a cheap model I usually see sold in a starter kit with little 10watt amp. Still at $40 if you were needing a beater guitar and it this one was straight then it's probably a good deal.

Lee

14. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I picked up a Patriot Bass on CL last year that needed some work.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately it was sans Super Ferrite, but I found a suitable replacement.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full thread here.

15. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Yep, it's a Rockmaster. I emailed the lady in the ad for pics of the headstock. Oh well, I'll let this one slide.

16. leroy

leroy NEW MEMBER!

Oct 6, 2013
    Maryland
    Hello all. Just registered here after finding this ancient thread on the venerable Patriot. Just picked one up a few days ago and am trying to figure out what the switches do. I have the 3 pickup version (Patriot Plus?) with the Super Ferrite pickups. Man, this guitar sounds good, but I am not sure that all the controls are working properly. Can anyone out there fill me in? Thanks!

[​IMG]

EDIT: The photo appears to not be posting properly... here is the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PFZ2R_KDl1blvMgGvX9wVze3KGwIku5U0jdnFpZaDog?feat=directlink

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

17. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Hickory, NC
    Hello and welcome,

Are you sure that's a Patriot? Check the headstock as it sure looks like a Horizon II. Here's a like to the original user manual for the Horizon II from the Peavey site. http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300047.pdf

That will explain the switch and tone knobs that roll the neck and bridge pups between humbucker and single coil just like is done on a T-60.

I've always wanted to try one if I could find one cheap but they usually go for more $$ than I'm wanting to kick in for yet another guitar.

Lee

18. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    PNW
    Hello,
    Peavey's seem to be an acquired taste, at first they seem very confusing with all the controls and such. Check out the link (lee2112) posted. That will help to explain the controls to you. People usually have two complaints about Peavey's, the thin neck, and body weight, forgetting the two most common complaints about guitars in that era (baseball necks) and (lack of sustain). Both addressed in the design of Peavey's T-60.
    So now you will have to decide which side of the fence you are on love or hate. However bear in mind, they are no longer being made, and the amount of regret being expressed by folk's on having sold theirs so long ago!!!!

19. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

This one is a wicked lil' dawg. I love it.:cool:

20. leroy

leroy NEW MEMBER!

Oct 6, 2013
    Maryland
    My god, that must have been the biggest brain fart I've ever had. Long in the tooth, no, just grey in the beard... Indeed, it is a Horizon II. I tried out a Patriot and a bunch of other T models. I guess I was so enamored with the sound of this Horizon that I never bothered to look at the headstock and got Patriot stuck in my head. So now, I will duck and cover, and proceed with the proper search terms, however, Lee's link pretty much covers everything... Thanks for setting me straight and the link Lee. Looks like I gotta start taking my multi-vitamins again!

Leroy

P.S. I'll post some more pics in a bit for the hell of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.